Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • North Face Basecamp Duffle – worth the money?
  • geoffj

Despite thinking that most NF is up there with Burberry trimmed baseball caps on the chavometer, their duffle bags seem to get good reviews – are they worth the extra over the Mountain Equipment or Blacks alternatives?
    Anything else to consider?*

*Don’t talk to me about Gelert copies, I had one and it was shit.

ElShalimo

No – Rab make some expedition duffle bags from heavy duty aztec canvas. Equally as good without the “steal me” logo.
    The older ones are more discreet and cheaper if you can find one

CaptJon
    Free Member

i have colleagues who swear by NF bags for their fieldwork in the Himalayas, Arctic and Antarctica.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, get a Mountain Equippment one from Cotswold. Brilliant and cheap – £60 for a 100l one.

We just bought one and might buy another to replace our wheely suitcases for travelling. Fed up of a quarter of our baggage allowance being used up carting suitcase around.

alfabus
    Free Member

They are very well thought of in pimlico

alfabus
    Free Member

Cactus Big Black Bags

Free worldwide shipping, and Cactus kit is much more niche than chavvy north face 🙂

I’ve got a couple of their bags, and a pair of supertrousers…. seriously hard wearing kit.

Dave

trail_rat
    Free Member

i see your north face bag and raise you

http://www.montroseropeandsail.co.uk/products/bags/

youll have to work hard to destroy these – the large bag is LARGE

geoffj

pair of supertrousers

*likes the sound of them!

thomthumb
    Free Member

mine is great; haven’t tried any others so couldn’t compare. the ability to wear it a sa rucksack is great when trying to manoeuvre a bike bag through a busy airport.

got mine from cotswold @ 50% off.

alfabus
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    > pair of supertrousers
    *likes the sound of them!

I’ve got the ‘light weight’ version – I’ve owned them for 2 years, and they are starting to soften up a little… they can still stand up on their own though 🙂

Dave

ElShalimo

If you want to keep it British then Aiguille Alpine make fab kit in their Staveley workshop (it’s next to Wilf’s cafe).
    Clicky
    Don’t be fooled into thinking that the rucsac straps are that useful. They are okay if you are just walking across a transport hub/station but you won’t be able to walk any distance as the straps are never that comfy. I found this out the hard way.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I’ve had a North Face one for about 6 years.
    I’ve generally tret it like a dustbin bag. Its thrown about, dragged along, pulled up and down stairs, thrown from heights, hung from walls and generally been used as it should.

In 6 years I’ve never had one issue with it. Not so much as a loose thread on niggly zip. On that basis alone I won’t look anywhere else or try another brand.
    It just works for what is been designed for.

robh

I’ve got some, all different sizes, and love them, managed to get the last ones cheap, one in the US and one from the Outlet Store at Elsmere Port.

I’ve also got a Gelert one that is pretty similar:

First picture I found can’t remember where I bought mine.

theflatboy
    Free Member

they are very good, but as noted above the Mountain Equipment ones are basically identical and cost far far less from Cotswolds. bargainous.

NZCol

Alfa – I’ve got cactus trousers they’re 11 yrs old and mint ! Fleece t shirt is 7 and looks new. Gret stuff.

29erKeith
    Free Member

+1 For the Mountain Equipment one’s

mine have been used and abused all over the show and have held up well

tbh I wouldn’t be surprised if they were all made in the same factory (could well be wrong though)

[edit]I should add the built in dry compartment is brilliant!! It’s been so useful when I’ve been away doing stage races and have wet/stinky/filthy kit building up over a week[/edit]

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve got two different sizes of the ME ones, and am contemplating expanding my collection!

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Yeah they are great, I have used them for years, tough, pretty much waterproof and light. There are probably other bags just as good though, ymmv

Only on STW could NF be considered “chavvy” 🙂

Muke
    Free Member
    Pyro

Had my ME bag for 5 years now and it still seems bomber, no holes, no zip issues, no loose threads. Conversely, when my housemate (stupidly) bought a cheapy Hi Gear version for a 5 week expedition to Nepal, the handles pulled away (stitching failed) the first time she tried to pick it up fully loaded.

ElShalimo

Shiny spangly TNF bags scream “steal me ‘cos I’m rich enough to replace it” in some parts of the world

Pyro

Only on STW could NF be considered “chavvy”

TNF is considered “chavvy” just about everywhere. With a few notable exceptions (the duffles, tents) their kit drifted away from being “serious outdoors kit” and into slightly neutered gear to appeal to Joe Public who fancies himself as a bit outdoorsy. I tested one of their supposed “Adventure Race” packs a few years back which was absolutely dreadful – uncomfortable, badly shaped, overly heavy and a nightmare to ride with. Not what i’d expected from a company with TNF’s pedigree…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

TNF? I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole! How about the black army surplus duffles with handles that convert into rucksack straps?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

TNF is considered “chavvy” just about everywhere. With a few notable exceptions (the duffles, tents) their kit drifted away from being “serious outdoors kit”

But most people aren’t “serious outdoors” people, they just want a waterproof coat or whatever that will be ok for walking the dog or climbing some hills, not camping in Nepal. Not niche enough for STW I agree, I guess I won’t be wearing my NF coat to ride my Saracen to the local park lest I incur the wrath of the STW massive 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Shiny spangly TNF bags scream “steal me ‘cos I’m rich enough to replace it” in some parts of the world “

EVERYWHERE.

Thats also why my offshore bags(from my link above) have no labling on them at all – i sat and picked out all the stitching and removed company logo . Just my initials in marker on it !

GrahamS

footflaps

Back in the day (1990s) TNF was a serious outdoor brand doing cutting edge designs for expeditions, then their design team got the hump, left and formed Mountain Hardware. TNF has gone after the consumer market ever since….

Wozza
    Free Member

It just works for what is been designed for.

+1

geoffj

guess I won’t be wearing my NF coat to ride my Saracen to the local park lest I incur the wrath of the STW massive

Nowt wrong with a saracin!

chewkw
    Free Member

I am about to buy one of the North Face 70 litre North Face Basecamp Duffle for £81 (after 10% discount) at the North Face store here.

I have 2 Mountain Equipment duffles which I bought last year but if you have lower back pain like me you are better off with the shoulder straps even for a very short journey. I was in pain at the airport because I could not balance the weight properly with my Mountain Equipment duffle.

Nahh … not bother about being called a chav with TNF duffle so long as it fits for the purpose and will last me for years.

For me it’s worth the money to ease off a bit of my lower back pain … I have to.

🙂

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Does it come with a padlock?

chewkw
    Free Member

swedishmatt – Member

You use padlock? 😆

I use zip ties!

swedishmatt
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    swedishmatt – Member

You use padlock?

I use zip ties!
    That’s much harder.

chewkw
    Free Member

swedishmatt – Member

That’s much harder.

Or double up as body bag … 😈

p/s: the Rab Expedition Kit Bag MK II 60 litre looks promising …

trail_rat
    Free Member

but if you have lower back pain like me you are better off with the shoulder strapswheels even for a very short journey

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just for balance – I ride, and run ultra marathons with NF sacs and they have been 100% brilliant. Ditto mtb shirt is really comfy and just bought windproof cycle top from Bicester outlet. Have worn it all day today – marvelous kit. Also have their soft shell and goretex jacket for climbing and skiing in crap conditions and no complaints at all. But if that makes me a chav, well that’s an new STW label for me!!!

Like ME as well, so if bags are cheaper, then an easy choice to make. Both appear bombproof (ok not literally)

ElShalimo

chewkw – Member

for back pain get a wheeled bag with a long handle for easy manoevreing or a proper travel bag with a decent quality back system like this
    It’s a compromise as in it’s not as good as a proper rucsac but they are ideal for travelling and it will be easier on your back than a kit bag. They are very useful too if you’re abroad or on crap roads which can break a wheeled bag

chewkw
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

but if you have lower back pain like me you are better off with the shoulder strapswheels even for a very short journey

I need the baggage allowance unfortunately … 🙄

ElShalimo, Not sure about the Macpac as they are rather rucksacky …

ebygomm
    Free Member

our ME bag gained a hole the first time it went through an airport.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

We have a couple of Tatonka bags, very similar, tough as old boots, and the oldest one is probably getting on for 10 years old. Definitely a well-judged purchase. Cheaper than TNF by a country mile too…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘North Face Basecamp Duffle – worth the money?’ is closed to new replies.