Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • North Downs Way?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

What’s it like for cycling?

I’m specifically thinking about the section from Newlands Corner along to Whitedown Lane.

Is it rideable at all?

nuke

Yes…between newlands and white down its a flatish wide path, some byway that can get muddy plus big puddles

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes. Very frequently used my MTB-ers. Part of it is semi paved and known as Canada Road as Canadian troops hid out there prior to D-Day. There is the odd pill-box too. Normally very rideable, it can and does get boggy the further you get to Whitedown when the weather has been wet.

Sui
    Free Member

It’s perfectly rideable if not a bit boring, it’s just a long fireroad. There are plenty of places to go off from the ND, Winterfold ,Shere etc..

nuke

Well theres the bowl of death near combe lane crossing to liven it up 😉

rewski
    Free Member

I ride it around Reigate Hill and Woldingham and it’s definitely not flat

MrWoppit
    Free Member

What’s it like for cycling?

Dull. Go there, but get off piste.

nuke

Its a nice route to ride in a lovely bit of countryside…can’t say I find that dull and far better than being on the road but each to there own

jambalaya
    Free Member

@nuke, indeed. Never grow tired of some juvenile spins of it.

OP. I used to use that part of the NDW as the “outbound” leg of my normal XC rides. There are a few decent descents off towards the villages on the Southern side then you can loop back before climbing back to Newlands via Water Lane. If you wish I’ll send you a map (email in profile)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Gets you from A to B, but often boggy, churned up by walkers and horses more than bikes. Watch out for families walking it near Newlands that you have to allow for.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

OP. I used to use that part of the NDW as the “outbound” leg of my normal XC rides. There are a few decent descents off towards the villages on the Southern side then you can loop back before climbing back to Newlands via Water Lane. If you wish I’ll send you a map (email in profile)

Sounds pretty similar to what I’m planning, it’s got to be a better way of linking Whitedown and Newlands without using the road!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘North Downs Way?’ is closed to new replies.