Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • North Coast 500
  • thorpie
    Free Member

Has anyone here cycled the North Coast 500? I’m thinking of doing it in February for charity, is this wise (in February I mean)? I’m thinking I would probably do it by wild camping, maybe the odd stop off. What timescales would I be looking at? I am reasonably fit and was thinking up to 100 miles a day? Is this way out? Any tips or advice sought, Thanks, Trevor.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not ridden it but Scotland in February can go one of two ways – cold, wet, windy or very cold, dry with a risk of ice. Over the last 5 years I’ve done my lowest monthly mileage in February.

I’d have a rethink about timing.

kraftyslices

I would seriously reconsider the timing. You might be digging snow-holes for your wild camping. I try and stay off the roads at that time of year because of the ice I’m quite a lot further south. There’s also not a huge amount of daylight at that time of year to play with.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

At that time of year it will be cold which will mean that wild camping might not be too pleasant temperature info

Also, there will not be much daylight . In the region of 9 to 10 hours. This means 14 or 15 hours of darkness. That would be a lot of time to spend it a tent. It also means that you would need to make the most of every daylight hour for riding to get your 100 miles per day done at a comfortable pace.

It is not impossible, but it doesn’t sound like it would be a pleasant trip. As Gary_M suggests, you might want to consider a different time of year.

ton

I would love to do this in the winter…..fancy a companion?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I would love to do this in the winter…..fancy a companion?

And what happens if the week you plan to do it there’s an icy spell, you can go on main roads until its thawed out a bit and you can’t use minor roads.

Doing something like this in winter, in Scotland, when you’re tied to doing it at a set time is daft.

scotroutes

Mostly covered above.

Coast roads tend to stay clear of ice but there are enough inland and higher sections that it would be a consideration. The Bealach na Ba is closed at times.

100 mile days would probably mean some riding in the dark. Look at dynamo hubs.

Wild camping would give you flexibility but staying warm and dry for 4/5 nights might be a problem. Consider booking a night or two indoors. Of course, that would remove some of your flexibility.

Getting food might be an issue as many cafes etc (and there are few to start with) will be closed for the season.

On the upside, roads will be quieter and the scenery can be even more stunning (though you might miss some when night cycling)

Edit: I wouldn’t completely rule it out, just be aware of the added challenge and/or timescale

ton

Doing something like this in winter, in Scotland, when you’re tied to doing it at a set time is daft.

you do realise Ranulph Fiennes is my uncle………. 😀

fifeandy
    Free Member

As others have said, not the best time of year to do it.
    Cold, dark, miserable, and a good chance of snow gates being closed on bealach na ba.
    I’ll be doing it in August – still expecting cold and miserable, just without the darkness and snow/ice to contend with 😀

thorpie
    Free Member

Would April be much of an improvement weather wise? I am tied to half term holidays with the wife being a teacher!

scotroutes

Much better. Days are longer, snow (especially in the far NW) is a lot less common (though not entirely unusual) and it’ll look great. Do book any accommodation well in advance though. The NC500 has resulted in lots of beds for next year being booked up already.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yes, whilst not being immune to bad weather, and certainly likely to be cold/cool early and late in the day, April is probably one of the better times of year.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Would April be much of an improvement weather wise?

Yeh April will be much better, april & may are usually the best months in Scotland, it’s still shite just not as shite as the other months 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Easter’s a bit later in 2017 I think, NW Scotland can (stress can) be quite dry at that time and into May.

fasthaggis

OP take Ton’s offer.If you have to cuddle up to save body heat,he will be a life saver 🙂 😉

jimmy

past 3 years I’ve been touring in North Scotland in late April and its been great weather. We’ve totally lucked out but the last full week of April was intentionally chosen each time as a gamble on good spring weather. Perfect for the occasion.

thorpie
    Free Member

April it will be then all being well. More time to get kitted up as well!

thorpie
    Free Member

I’m guessing Alpkit is the way to go for bikepacking kit?

olddonald

Yes -did it in september 2016. 100 miles per days is tough – it is very lumpy. You would be doing some very long days. the weather was fine – but it had a hellish headwind from JOG to Inveress – in short february is madness !

dovebiker

Planning on doing it in May – in my ’74 VW camper with wife and 2 dogs 🙂 Expect there’ll be times I’d be quicker on the bike 😀

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I’m aiming for May I think, bollocks to February!

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Yeah it’ll be fine in February obviously. Report back how you got on.

/Sarcasm off

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘North Coast 500’ is closed to new replies.