Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Norco search S1 or Pinnacle Arkose ? Work Commute.
  • jacob46
    Free Member

These 2 manufacturers are the only ones I can find that cater for us tall folk.

I’m selling my whyte Suffolk because I find it a bit small. I’m 6ft 3 and the 2 bikes mentioned fit the bill.

I’ve heard good about both but they are Evans bikes and I’m not sure! I know Norco have a good reputation in the off road world.

jeffl

Planet X London Road?

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve got the Norco Indie Drop which is the older version of the Search. Ithink the Search takes slightly bigger tyres but otherwise is the same. It’s a great bike, (my first with drop bars) and I’ve used it for touring, winter commuting and just general road riding.

I find it rides a lot better with front panniers and a Tubus Tara or similar rack than rear panniers as the rear triangle doesn’t have super thick tubes. This does mean it’s nice and compliant so good for rougher roads.

For reference I’m 6’1″ and have the 57cm frame, the tall headube means you can get a more upright position which is nice for riding in traffic!

Here’s some pictures of mine loaded up, the second is before I did the Ridgeway and it coped really well.

jacob46
    Free Member

Steezysix, that’s fantastic. Thank you.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m commuting on a Large On-One Fatty at the moment.

Not sensible, but does make me want to get out of bed in the morning!

jacob46
    Free Member

Is there much flex in frame when out the seat and climbing a hill?

steezysix
    Free Member

For the Norco? The only time I ever felt it is when I first got it and had rear rack & panniers on it. Unloaded or front loaded it rides great.

tenayshuzd
    Free Member

I commute on an Arkose 1, 2014 model,picked it up secondhand. Well happy with it even with the bike snob factor of it being an Evans bike. They get loads of kudos on some threads on here anyway. Came with the stock kenda small block 8 tyres which were very comfy over crappy roads but stuck some conti gators on and it nips along well. I’m 5ft 8, it’s a medium and is very comfy to ride. Can’t beat discs in traffic and rain, for sure.

northernmatt

I’ve got an Arkose 1 which I’ve used for commuting, road riding and some thrashing through woods and local gravel tracks. Does all of that pretty well. Glad I had the discs when I was out yesterday and needed to stop in a hurry on a muddy bit. Looking at getting a wheelset for winter so I can put road tires on for the commute and knobbly CX tyres on for the mud.

jacob46
    Free Member
    jacob46
    Free Member

Steezysix, so having steel instead of aluminum is OK? Never had steel bike before.

andy8442
    Free Member

Just got a Search S1 today. Weather is too bloody horrible to go out though. I’ll let you know next week!

jacob46
    Free Member

Andy8442,

Brill, any chance you can send us some info sooner please? How tall you are? What size have you had? How heavy is the bike?
    And are the wheels up too much?

Cheers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Norco search S1 or Pinnacle Arkose ? Work Commute.’ is closed to new replies.