Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • None of the editing tools work for me on this forum (iPad user)
  • JulianA
    Free Member

Ctrl-click (or middle mouse button) will do that. If ‘new window’ was hard-coded, there would be no way of a user overriding that default behaviour.

I don’t have a mouse for my iPad… I know I can tap and hold to get the option to open a link in a new tab but it’s annoying.

Why would a user want to override this?

GrahamS

Direct reply being the ability to click on a ‘reply’ button on the bottom of a post and have it sitting quoted in your reply box.

That sucks – it encourages people to quote the entire post instead of just the little bit the want to reply to. (See road.cc for examples!)

I use Firefox as well. Plus IOS, IE8 and multiple others. Happens all the time regardless.

Using Firefox right now. Just pressed every button and none of them made the cursor go back to the start of the reply (is that what you mean?)

I can’t do quotes or make italics or owt!

Are you blocking Javascript? If so then you’ll have to enter them manually. [[/i]i]itealics[/[/i]i] etc.

Personally, I reckon content is more important than presentation. That’s what I subscribe for.

Ditto.

Click the ‘freshness’ column, it’ll do exactly that.

Not quite – it takes you to the most recent post on a thread. He means he wants a button that takes you to the post after the last post you read.
    (we used to have this in the old old forum – but it worked off cookies, was horribly buggy and made it all very slow).

And while we’re on the subject could the links in posts please open in a new window?

Should be really simple to do… And it’s good practice not to navigate away from the original site when opening a link.

Nope! It’s bad practice – much better to let users have the choice than force the decision on them.

GrahamS

Why would a user want to override this?

I do all the time – because whn I’m on an iPad / iPhone I have one tab with the main forum and then open each thread I want to read in its own tab. So if I’m following a link in that thread then I want to continue in that same tab, not open a new one.

JulianA
    Free Member

Nope! It’s bad practice – much better to let users have the choice than force the decision on them.

Then why do most of the adverts on STW open in a new tab?

GrahamS

Then why do most of the adverts on STW open in a new tab?

I dunno – I don’t see the adverts – but I guess the argument is that adverts aren’t content, whereas an external link as part of a thread is.

JulianA
    Free Member

I dunno – I don’t see the adverts – but I guess the argument is that adverts aren’t content, whereas an external link as part of a thread is.

External – exactly. A link to another thread should open in the same tab / window, but external links – BBC, YouTube etc – take the user away from the original site.

GrahamS

I’d rather have the choice than let a website decide for me. I like choice.

CountZero

JulianA – Member

External – exactly. A link to another thread should open in the same tab / window, but external links – BBC, YouTube etc – take the user away from the original site.
    Wouldn’t have it any other way, not that I look at ads very often, but if I do, I much prefer them to open another separate tab/window, then I can keep it open if I want to look at it later and return to the thread.
    Works just fine.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Cougar – why is multi-quoting bad? At the very least people would know who the hell is saying what. We don’t even have a decent quote function that acknowledges the OP.

Seems tags are working properly now. Who knows.

I really don’t understand this, can anyone actually explain why living in the dark ages spending half your time working around all the “missing” features is “better” than just upgrading the software and not have your site look like the kinda throwback a neighbourhood watch group might use? The fact that simple quoting ‘features’ are even being discussed says a lot.

Let me put this into context, it’s like buying a car with hand operated windscreen wipers. Sure they do the job but take a load more effort for the sake of what? Being different?

scotroutes
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘None of the editing tools work for me on this forum (iPad user)’ is closed to new replies.