• This topic has 16 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Non suicidal/slippy winter commute road tyres?
  • ton

had a bit of a off today, back wheel slipped out turning a corner a bit too rapid. thought it was gonna bite at the last minute but it didnt.
    nearly had the same thing happen last week.

looking for some 32c or bigger non slippy commuting fast rolling tyres.
    got vittoria rando cross on at present, which are ace in the dry.
    dont want scwalbe marathons, done 5000 miles on a pair this year, but i want something a bit easier rolling.

ideas please.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I use Schwalbe cx pro 30c IIRC. Pretty quick rolling, good on muddy wet farm road corners, and pretty tough in terms of punctures too.

Shouldn’t have said that last bit!.

aP
    Free Member

Something by Vredestein? They’re Dutch so know about cycling in miserable conditions.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’ve only done a few rides on them so far, but I’m pleasantly surprised with the new 32c Schwalbe Duranos that I put on the Tripster. They’re the Raceguard spec ones, and as I’ve only ridden in slippy damp conditions, I’ve not pushed it too hard, but so far so good – they feel pretty sure footed and roll well. Feel pretty supple too. Tested them down the lanes with freshly chopped hedges and, fingers crossed, there’s the same amount of air in them still.

Sorry to hear you hit the deck though… 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Road tyres won’t bite if you let them slide, you can catch it, but it’s not like a knobbly tyre where it’ll suddenly hook up on something. If you wait for it to sort itself out you’re going down!

I rate GP 4 Seasons in smaller sizes, dunno if they go above 28c.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’m very happy with my GP4 seasons in 28. Only ever been ridden in winter really

igm

700c 2″ Big Apple? Works for me on a 20 mile commute. Pulled a drawing pin out of one that had gone all the way in but hadn’t gone far enough to puncture the inner. Three minutes slower (for me) than a 28mm GP4seasons over that 20 miles. Enough grip for light off road.

The question is – can your frame take it?

PS I have 26×2.5 Big Apples on another bike.

ton

no. not with guards. can just manage 47c conti tour rides.
    might just get some more marathon plus in a 35c. i had no puntures in 10 month using them.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ton, I’m a fan of Marathon Supremes. I’ve had thousands of laden touring miles on mine, they roll well, are light and puncture proof. Watch the sizing though, a 32mm Supreme is about the same size as a 28mm Vittoria Randonneur. You get better prices on them from German retailers.

DenDennis
    Free Member

Interested in this too.
    Where/what is best tube to get/use for a 700×50 tyre on a road rim?
    Not sure what suits… ta

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve been fairly impressed with Panaracer Ribmos – I’ve only had the 28 width, but fairly tough, reasonably fast rolling and puncture resistant, grip pretty well.

That said you may have just hit a diesel patch or something. Not a lot will grip on wet diesel.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Schwalbe One

scotroutes

Yep – I’d go with that assessment.

Daffy

Vittoria Randonneur Hyper in 37c would fit your bill.

Light, fast rolling, incredibly grippy, puncture protection, and a reflective sidewall. Oh, and they’re only £15 at PX.

sq225917
    Free Member

conti sport contact or Vittoria hypers as above

tomkerton
    Free Member

Or just stick to 25/28 gators and mince round corners? Works for me!!

DT78
    Free Member

The only time I’ve slipped on a gp 4 seasons is on ice. I’ve ridden the last 2 winters on them without issue. No idea if you can get balloon sizes, I’m still on the first set of 25s. Ace tyres IMO.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Non suicidal/slippy winter commute road tyres?’ is closed to new replies.