Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • non refundable deposit
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

Is that even legal in this day of ages? First time I have been asked for this by a framebuilder!

trail_rat
    Free Member

When making bespoke items – yes.

remoterob
    Free Member

Of course it’s legal, why wouldn’t it be?

garage-dweller

Of course. You order bespoke item. If you fail to take delivery / change your mind then the frame builder spends time, money and effort making something noone else wants in that form /colour /geometry whatever. Why should the builder get stuffed for you changing your mind. Chances are they will still lose money on the deposit if you don’t complete.

My dad’s had two custom frames from British builders in the last three years both have required hefty non refundable deposits afaik.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Don’t like it? Don’t buy it. Easy peasy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

materials as well as time so just ensuring they wont be massively out of pocket if you change your mind

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d get a time frame for delivery in writing though, after which deposit would be refundable.

bencooper
    Free Member

Absolutely. I’m currently substantially out of pocket because someone who ordered a custom Brompton can’t afford to pay the remaining 50%.

scotroutes

Tough one. I can see why it’s required for certain circumstances (as bencooper suggests) but I don’t think it can legally prevent the purchaser from seeking a full refund if the goods are faulty or not as described etc. (SOGA, DSR must still apply).

taxi25
    Free Member

It’s simple, you place an order and pay a “non refundable deposit”. If you decide to pull out of the deal you loose the deposit. The frame is completed you pay the balance and recieve the frame. If the frame is faulty, not as described ect, your statutory rights are intacted up to the full cost including deposit and balance.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Any case law or just speculation?

bencooper
    Free Member

Tough one. I can see why it’s required for certain circumstances (as bencooper suggests) but I don’t think it can legally prevent the purchaser from seeking a full refund if the goods are faulty or not as described etc. (SOGA, DSR must still apply).

Yes, though that’s different. You don’t have the same rights to change your mind with a custom-made item, because the shop or framebuilder can’t simply resell it to the next customer. It’s not just bikes of course – same apples to anything you get custom-made, like a kitchen.

bencooper
    Free Member

Any case law or just speculation?

Many years ago I specially ordered in a very large framed bike for one customer – he changed his mind and demanded his £50 deposit back*, and got stroppy when I said no so I called the police. They arrived and told him to f*** off (their words).

Does that count? 😉

*It was about 15 years ago, when I was doing cheaper normal bikes.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’ll take it

neilwheel
    Free Member

Not only is it legal, it is morally correct too.

philxx1975
    Free Member

It was just a question ,its the first time I have been asked and I have 2 frames made specifically for me. Just wonders if I was on the untrusted list or it applied universally.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

What’s the point in a refundable deposit?

benji
    Free Member

I’d get a time frame for delivery in writing though, after which deposit would be refundable.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/faq_index_consumer_affairs/faq_consumer_affairs_deposit_back_if_cancel_goods_or_services.htm

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just wonders if I was on the untrusted list or it applied universally.

Trusting someone is not a good idea, it’s worse if you know them as it can lead to all sorts of problems in the future. I’d say it’s generally the norm for anything that cannot be returned or easily resold.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘non refundable deposit’ is closed to new replies.