Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Non Original Ink Cartridges
  • Jase
    Free Member

Need to replace the ink cartridges on my Advent printer. The genuine replacements are more than twice the price of the compatible non-genuine ones to be found on ebay etc.

Are there any drawbacks to using these over the original ones?

Ta.

cp

Some can be more runny, some can be more susceptible to UV degradation, some are weird colours, some don’t have the appropriate chip to say to the printer ‘yes I’m a *cough* original cartridge’, a lot are absolutely fine for everyday use.

I’ve used compatibles from First Call Inks on Amazon for the last few years in my Canon ip4500..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/qid=1345711481?ie=UTF8&me=AITTWMR9XGO73

elzorillo
    Free Member

Why not just buy a new printer.. See them regularly for less than £30.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

You could see it’s possible to get them refilled – we take ours to Cartridge World and it saves a fortune.

AlexSimon

I’ve now swapped to using non-original inks on my Canon photo printer.
    The drawbacks are longevity of print (resistance to sunlight, etc).

Otherwise, they are perfectly decent for most tasks.

After trying a few, I’ve settled on 7dayshop’s own brand as they have the chip on I need and don’t cost a lot. Some of the others were no better and more expensive, or just hard to get hold of.

Is Advent a brand or a model – I can’t see it on the dropdowns
    http://www.7dayshop.com/office-and-networking/printer-ink-and-toner

cp

Advent is a PC World/currys etc… brand isn’t it?

brakes
    Free Member

FACT: printer manufacturers make no money on the sale of printers and loads on the sale of cartridges.
    we used to use cartridge world which were pretty good, although they didn’t last as long and the odd one would explode which they were pretty good about replacing for nowt

retro83
    Free Member

elzorillo – Member

Why not just buy a new printer.. See them regularly for less than £30.

Because they come with a ‘starter’ cartridge which does about 10 pages.

molgrips
    Free Member

My dad tried them and despite being a skinflint he now uses original ones, because all the 3rd party ones he tried were shite. Ok for text, dreadful for pictures.

Top tip – don’t buy a super cheap bargain bin printer. False economy. If you really want cheaper ink get a Kodak printer.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Because they come with a ‘starter’ cartridge which does about 10 pages.

Thats what I used to tell people when I sold ink cartridges.. fact is though they dont 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

mine didn’t

Jase
    Free Member

Yeah, the current ones don’t appear to have lasted very long, I’d say I’d printed 20-30 colour pocs.

maccruiskeen

If you are photo printing thats where you might get let down with non-brand inks. I’ve some pictures of faces lit by red light in the dark. Cheap cartridges in my canon printer just couldn’t print them at all, just a black page with a brownish smudge on them, the red ink lacked the punch so I had to buy a set of genuine ones to print them. If you are just doing document printing and plain paper stuff non-brand stuff is broadly fine.

some don’t have the appropriate chip to say to the printer ‘yes I’m a *cough* original cartridge’,

I’ve an HP printer that is currently refusing to reckonise a genuine HP colour cartridge which is only about a 1/3rd used, its the extra large, extra expensive version as well. Annoyingly its the printer I mostly only use for draft black printing (its super fast and can knock out 100 page film scripts in few minutes whilst shaking the table from side to side) but it refuses to print in black, even when set to ‘black ink only’ if it doesn’t like the colour cartridge.

Its a bollocks isn’t it

uwe-r
    Free Member

I use IJT form a tip on here years ago in a Cannon printer (you also need to search for a promo code to get 50% off).

They are not as good as the originals and you get some quirky colours on occasion but for general household use they are fine. The original Cannon cartridges are crazy priced but then the cost of the original printer was crazy cheep considering what it does (built in decent scanner / wifi / mini colour screen on it etc for £70).

scaredypants

“thefox60” on ebay does canon cartrdiges that seem fine to me, chips always recognised etc

ooh, spooky, I’ve been “disappeared” 😐

Jase
    Free Member

Went for original in the end and they haven’t lasted long at all, gonna give the non-original’s a go next.

br
    Free Member

IME Use genuine cartridges, and go Kodak.

russianbob
    Free Member

inkcredible.co.uk

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Non Original Ink Cartridges’ is closed to new replies.