Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Non indexed trigger shifter?????
  • singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Love my L/H gripshift as it doesn’t require indexed set up for the chainrings. Never have liked chain rub & there is never a perfect chain rub free setting across the gear range with indexed gears. Is there a way of modifying a Shimano / Sram trigger shift to enable non indexed shifting? Run XTR for the rear derailleur BTW.

Kieran

Your having a laugh right?

Seriously, just learn to index your gears properly, I can’t think of a grip-shift that doesn’t have indexing anyway.

A trigger shift by their very nature has to be indexed. Closest you would get would be a thumb shifter

fbk
    Free Member

I can’t think of a grip-shift that doesn’t have indexing anyway

Ah bless – the innocence of youth 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Front grip shift is usualy non indexed*,

Have a look for an unltegra flat bar shifter, thye might have a trim feature like STI’s, which lest you shift a tiny ammount at a time, but I’m not sure.

*well not inexed, more like a roadie shifter where you have ~15 clicks to trim the mech to the right position.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Either use a LH gripshift (though I expect the ratcheting might be too coarse) or a 7s or older thumbshifter off of ebay.

mrmo
    Free Member

The only non-indexed trigger style shifter i can think of is the old Mavic wishbone, but the likelyhood of finding one is close to zero, and mine aren’t for sale!

clubber
    Free Member

Pretty sure there are none currently made. If you’re really silly enough to want to do it then you could modify a standard rapid fire to work but it’d be a lot of work for IMO no point.

PaulD
    Free Member

STB,

Cynic-al is correct.

Old 7-sp GS100 and GS200 LH STI shifters had approx 3-4 clicks going up to a larger ring or one big push, but an index click (or clunk as they were lowly groupos) for downshifting.
    Both buttons were thumb-pushers, not push-pull as now.
    I still have a GS100 on one bike and it works fine.

Alternatively, you could fit a thumbshifter and have it on index or friction setting.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Already run a L/H gripshift which is non indexed (micro index / incremental shifting) for front mech duties and have done for many years. Have found there is never a perfect set-up with triggers and that a certain amount of compromise is necessary. I’ve been building up my own bikes for the last 20yrs so know how to set up my gears.
    The Ultegra shifter sounds interesting & is definitely something I’ll take a look at. If I can’t find a suitable trigger system it’ll be another gripshift unit.
    What set me thinking was my old Campy road shifters which shift in increments for front mech duties. Although clearly there is no way to utilise that shifter it set me thinking about the possibilty of a trigger type shifter.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Non indexed trigger shifter?????’ is closed to new replies.