Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Nomos Watches – anyone know about them/own one?
  • trusslebabes
    Free Member

Hello, I know some of you are very much into watches, they are not something i know a lot about but i would like to have a better understanding.

I have been looking at these watches and wondered if anyone has one or knows much about them? Are they as good as they look? If i was bought one, would it be a watch that would still have some value in years to come? I am particularly interested in the special edition MSF one just because i like what MSF do and would like to support them.

Cheers and feedback appreciated 😀

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Linky?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I think they’re well thought of by watch people, especially if you’re after something, a bit different.
    The 30’s / art deco styling isn’t to my taste, but thats irrelevant here, obviously.

Its listed as using their own movement – whether this is a genuine ‘in house’ movement (lots are bought off the shelf & modded) I don’t know – shouldn’t be too difficult to find out though – start reading the watch threads on TZ forum for nomos – you’ll soon start learning a bit more about them.

EDIT: the movement is listed as 17 jewels – I’ll happily be corrected if someone with more knowledge pops along – but I’d have expected more jewels for a E1500 watch? (better-er)

Its a fairly small diameter watch too – by modern standards – so if you’ve got wrists like a gorilla it may look a bit odd 😉
    38mm-42mm is generally standard nowadays – basically make sure you try the watch on

MrSmith
    Free Member

If i was bought one, would it be a watch that would still have some value in years to come?

Yes, probably sentimental value, if you want growth then look elsewhere to Rolex, Omega etc.

unovolo
    Free Member

They make everything in house, case ,movement, straps etc.
    And are pretty well regarded and the straps are bought by people for other watches as they are made from Cordovan leather from Horween(very high quality).

Not as pricey as some more big name/established brands but very nice all the same, resale values are decent enough but I wouldnt buy one as a investment piece.

I really like the understated looks and are hoping to add a Orion to my collection at some point.

Don’t know where you are in the world but there is a dealer in Liverpool and a Jewellers in Bakewell that sell them.

unovolo
    Free Member

More jewels doesnt necessarily mean a better movement either, so I would not fixate on that.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

thanks all, its not as an investment more as a watch i like and want to wear,

unovolo – I’m from Liverpool and go to see family regularly so if i could have the name of the dealer that’d be good, I’m closer to Bakewell so could go there too under the premise of a family day out 😆

more jewels? do they have jewels in the mechanism then?

Notter
    Free Member

I bought a Club Automat Datum just about a year ago, having first seen it in some magazine somewhere. What appealed most was the fact it’s a slightly unknown name and yet still excellent quality. As has been said already the movement is in house and I have to say it has been a pleasure to own. The cordovan strap, again as mentioned above, is gorgeous. Have a read of their website, their history and their place amongst German watch makers is very interesting.

One thing to take note of is the case sizes as they can be large depending on watch and movement (though watches in the same family with different movements vary also).

I wear it daily, love it, you won’t be disappointed. I bought from Wempe in London, great service and in house watchmakers for servicing, recommended.

Drop me an email (in profile) if you want to know any more.

grantway
    Free Member

Post on here and find out about the watch Watches U Seek

CountZero

more jewels? do they have jewels in the mechanism then?

Yes, the bearings for various rotating parts, cogs, etc, are synthetic rubies, because of the hardness.
    This is a pic of the same movement that one of my watches uses, the jewels are the pinky-red bits:

[/url] image by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

trusslebabes
    Free Member

brilliant thanks again, i randomly saw it in an advanced driver magazine, but what i particularly liked about it was the ink with MSF. i have had a look on their website but the more you read the more it opens up and becomes quite interesting and a bit mind boggling with all the different options etc.

What is the difference between manual and non manual winding apart from the obvious? how often do you have to physically wind it up? I would only get to wear mine on weekends and holidays due to the nature of my job, so thinking auto wind would be best?

Notter
    Free Member

Automatic means the movement of your wrist (normal movement!) is what winds it. If worn every day you won’t need to manually wind. The zeta movement will be good for 2 to 2 and a half days not being worn, then you’ll need to manually wind.

unovolo
    Free Member

C.W.Sellors is the place in Bakewell but they have a few other places as well around that area, see link below:-
    http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/pages/store-locator

Watches of Switzerland on King Street, Manchester is also a dealer.

The place in Liverpool I believe is ‘Russell & Case’ in liverpool One:-
    http://russellandcase.net/index.php/contact.
    Might be worth checking that Russell and Case still carry these as there is no reference to them on there site.

unovolo
    Free Member

Liking the look of their latest watch too ‘Metro’,

iolo
    Free Member

For the first link.
    Round white face, black hands and numbers (apart from red 12), keeps time.
    1500 euro? Really?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Count zero – got any more pics of your heuer / leonidas? Can’t see any on your flickr :-/

ourmaninthenorth

The Liverpool dealer I saw them in is – you’ll have to excuse my ignorance of the city centre – a small place ona corner on the road that runs across the bottom of Bold Street.

I’d also seen one online and by chance passed that jeweller. Looked lovely though I didn’t go in.

EDIT: it is Russel & Case. They’re on Hanover St. I think I passed the shop last Nov, so worth calling ahead.

aP
    Free Member

That Nomos Metro is probably the first watch ever posted on a STW watch thread that’s even in the slightest bit attractive (apart from Mondaine obviously).
    I’m actually quite tempted.

unovolo
    Free Member

That Nomos Metro is probably the first watch ever posted on a STW watch thread that’s even in the slightest bit attractive (apart from Mondaine obviously).
    I’m actually quite tempted.

Hope you have deep pockets as it retails for around 2600euros.
    More pics HERE

toby1

Eh hem

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Think Mondaine are considerably cheaper? (And lovely)
    Sorry nice watches but not for the money

unovolo
    Free Member

My problem with the Elliot Brown watches are that they are pretty expensive for a watch with a basic quartz movement and mineral crystal glass.

There are other brands that do it better for the same or less.
    Nice looking watches but should either be better specced or cheaper priced for the current spec.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Nomos are great if you like that kind of thing. Obviously the link to MSF is important to you but why not email Roy at RLT Watches (thewatchforum)as he’s a watchmaker so will likely be able to do you something similar quality for half the price and it’s unique to you. You could then give a donation if you really wanted to 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Nomos Watches – anyone know about them/own one?’ is closed to new replies.