Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Nominate your "Ultimate Rock Chick"
  • CountZero

And of course there’s Emily Haines of Metric, a girl who works seriously hard on stage. Brilliant band:

DezB
    Free Member

Some people are rather stretching the description of “Rock” chick… I don’t think Beth Gibbons would be too impressed!

jwt
    Free Member

Ann and Nancy Wilson from Heart?
    (back in the day…..)

wonnyj
    Free Member

CountZero

Dez, perhaps if you’d read the following:

Then there’s these ladies, not necessarily rock, perhaps, but they all rock for me:

you wouldn’t have needed to post unnecessarily.
    Anyway, it’s a good excuse to post up some of my own photos, rather than grabbing something off the ‘net.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

emily haines

Shirley Manson always did for me (goes off to have a quite lay down)

djc1245
    Free Member

Wasn’t the girl in The Fall quite nice? Looked alright when i saw them at Margate Winter Gardens a few years back, although i was very very drunk.
    No one has mentioned Rock Bitch, they were pretty wild.

bighendo
    Free Member
    CountZero

Wasn’t the girl in The Fall quite nice?

Brix Smith?

There have been a number of female members of The Fall, but Brix is the best known.

djc1245
    Free Member

That was the one. Wendy Wu of the Photos was quite nice too i seem to remember. None of them have anything on Debbie Harry…or the blonde one from Abba…loved them when i was a lad.

Bazz

Charlotte Cooper of The Subways

Abi Harding of The Zutons

kimbers

alison goldfrap i know she practises what she preaches as i met her at a fetish club…

saw her do this at glasto 😈
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgzsf_0xPQ8&feature=fvsr[/video]

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Mick Jagger?

mintimperial

saw her do this at glasto

I was in that crowd too! Loudest bass of the entire weekend, Goldfrapp’s set, as I recall, brilliant.

PJ Harvey headlined the pyramid stage that year. I think I’d probably nominate her as my ‘Ultimate Rock Chick’, whatever that means. Incredible, powerful music.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Can’t believe no mention of Skin from skunk anansie.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDDfZpyKVBw[/video]

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I love this thread!

andybach
    Free Member

+1 Tanya Donelly, what about Cerys Mathews

not sure Clare Grogan counts as rock but…..

CountZero

Cerys, of course. Not so much of the ‘rock chick’ these days, being a married mum with a couple of kids, but she certainly lived the life with Catatonia. Loved that band, saw them in Bristol and Cardiff a number of times, never less than brilliant. Heard once when they played Bath Moles, she’d had one or two, and needed a pee just before the band went on. Trouble was, the green room was behind the tiny stage, and the loo’s were upstairs, and you had to cross one to get to the other. She allegedly waited for the lads to go and set up then squatted in the sink. Problem was she cracked a pipe and flooded the floor of the green room. Management weren’t best pleased…
    Lovely lady, very chatty when you meet her.
    Alison Goldfrapp is fantastic on stage, she was wearing incredible costumes when I saw them in Bristol a few months ago. Sexy as a very, very sexy thing from the planet Sexy. Sadly, strict enforcement, (oooo missus), of the ‘no photographs whatsoever’ rule meant as I was in full view of the security Stasi I couldn’t get a single photo. Buggerit.
    <edit> Just thought of Louise Wener of Sleeper, another cute female in front of a bunch of anonymous blokes. ‘Sleeperblokes’, as they became known:

Kunstler

A little while ago I was fascinated by Katie Jane Garside.

RustySpanner

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Who6fTHJ34&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=MLGxdCwVVULXeYI1JFvbRKBL3IrYB3b-iQ[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzRm4K7NZm0&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=MLGxdCwVVULXe1pXR9pxA2ydordMgg7KVK[/video]
    Live in Chorlton, of all places. Guitar out of tune in this one, but she was playing distorted, dirty electric blues before Eric Clapton was had read his first copy of Mein Kampf.

Gaye Advert, because I love this photo.

Poly Styrene – New album out this year, it’ll be good!

ComradeD
    Free Member

Rose Elinor Dougall

Saw her play with Mark Ronson, absolutely stunning on stage

CountZero

If you want Rock Chicks, here’s three in one band:

Kat Bjelland and Babes In Toyland. Kat walks it like she talks it, managing to make Courtney Love look like a picture of restraint on occasion. Babes were great, if you didn’t mind Kat’s caterwauling, but her later band, Katastrophy Wife, was sadly shambolic, and a real disappointment live.
    Then there’s L7

Loved this band, saw them twice, and they were a proper rock band. Infamous for hanging a used tampon on the mic stand at one gig. Nice!

CountZero

The underrated band thread reminded me of this beautiful lady, singer with one of my favourite bands.
    Laydeez an’ gennelmen, I give you…(drumroll please)

Toni Halliday of Curve

tazzymtb

count zero you beat me to it, so here is another picture of the lovely lady. How the hell did garbage come along a bit later than curve, rip the sound off completely and somehow have more success? There’s no justice in the world.

tazzymtb

and the fuzzies, Oh how I loved them

jemima
    Free Member

Nadja Peulen.

An absolutely rocking bassist and quite the compelling presence on stage 😀

[img]http://a4.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/43/a667a593ec5c85b30da2b3654e5c39a1/l.jpg[/img]

br
    Free Member

How the hell did it take until page 2 to have Pat Benetar mentioned!

Can anyone remember the girl (big haired stunning brunette, dark skinned and with a big voice) who fronted a US band in the mid Eighties. They sang Heart-style rock – she had a single ‘name’? Only heard one album of theirs’, and I lost the cassette years ago.

CountZero

Nadja could be a compelling presence in a confined space with me, that’s for sure. Very tasty. As far as the unknown singer’s concerned I’m wracking my brains trying to think who it might be. Also glad someone else appreciated Curve and the lovely Ms Halliday.
    <edit> Just googled Nadja, blimey, popular lass ont’interwebs, hardly surprising with those looks. Honestly don’t know anything about her band, that Gothy heavy rock isn’t something I know much about, there’s lots of it and a lot sounds a bit samey. Might check out Coal Chamber now, tho’…

racefaceec90

sean yseult from white zombie.kickass band 😀 [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY7RdOvA-4Y[/video]

CountZero

Saw White Zombie at Reading in ’95, enjoyed them a lot.

jemima
    Free Member

Nadja could be a compelling presence in a confined space with me, that’s for sure. Very tasty…
    <edit> Just googled Nadja, blimey, popular lass ont’interwebs, hardly surprising with those looks. Honestly don’t know anything about her band, that Gothy heavy rock isn’t something I know much about, there’s lots of it and a lot sounds a bit samey. Might check out Coal Chamber now, tho’…

As soon as I saw this thread I thought of Nadja. Saw Coal Chamber live in 1999/2000 I think and she affected me greatly. Its not my favourite music but having thought about them again have just listened to two albums tonight and they are good! The self-titled 1st album is probably the best. Couple of belter tracks on it, ‘loco’ being the best known. Kind of the original nu-metal, with a gothy edge as you say.

Either way, she’s great!

MrsToast
    Free Member

Metric are awesome, only got into them after seeing Scott Pilgrim.

For me the ultimate rock chick has to be Sean Yseult from White Zombie. She was my idol, I wanted an Ibanez Iceman bass, just like her!

jalopy
    Free Member

Jennifer Herrema from Royal Trux/RTX – shambolic rock-cool personified, or just a bit drug-addled.

dxb
    Free Member

Sean Yesult Rocks! White Zombie were ACE!
    Really liking Ms Dalle’s new Spinnerette stuff

Saw PJ Harvey at Manchester Apollo and she was amazing, completely captivated the whole venue. Stunning

edhornby

just cos no-one else has mentioned her… Ani DiFranco. whether it classes as rock or not I’m not bothered but she has genuine talent

jalopy
    Free Member

I’m just reminded, up the page, didn’t Brix Smith dump Mark E Smith for… Nigel Kennedy. Monshta!

kirky1
    Free Member

Try looking for maria brink shes from a band called in this moment

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Christina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil WITH Marta Peterson from Bleeding Through…

Yum.
    Or of course Amy Lee from Evanesence… 😛

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Nominate your "Ultimate Rock Chick"’ is closed to new replies.