Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Nokia 5800 – owners help me
  • votchy
    Free Member

New phone arrived yesterday and as I'm a numpty can you please help me with it, my questions are:

Do you use PC Suite or Ovi to interface PC with phone (I couldn't get Ovi to recognise the phone last night, had many issues with Ovi on my old phone 6220 so always used PC suite)?
    Maps, downloaded latest maps last night and they only seem to show major A roads and motorways, can I change this in the settings somehow?
    Sportstracker, which version do you use as 5800 not listed?
    Any other useful tips/shortcuts to get the best out of this phone?

Numpty new to touch screen phones with lots of features Mark 😳

steviegil
    Free Member

I use the suite to talk to the phone, very east to use. My sportstracker version is V183 (S60 5.0) if you google it you will find the correct download. I dont tend to use the map's so can help with that im afraid…

wwaswas

I can't get Ovi to work on Vista but it's fine on Windows 7 – even lets me use my phone as a modem.

IA

use ovi suite, it's the newer replacement for pc suite.

Did you load the actual maps onto it? You need the application AND the map data. You get either download it over the air with the phone, or use the maploader (part of ovi suite) on the pc.

votchy
    Free Member

I can't get Ovi to work on Vista

same here, PC runs vista too so maybe there is a conflict

Did you load the actual maps onto it? You need the application AND the map data.

Went to the nokia site and downloaded the map data, assumed that as the phone has the application on it I did not need to do anything else, will go and check it out

ski
    Free Member

I have had real problems with Ovi software using it to download the "come with music" deal they are doing.

Nokia helpline had me deleting all types of files trying to sort the problem!

IA

You have the maps app on the phone, then you run the maploader on your computer, it'll ask you to connect the phone, do that. Then you select the countries you want to transfer data on for.

Blackhound

Having problems recently myself. I *think* you have to take your memory card out before connecting it to your PC. (saw it on a forum)

Trying to download the maps thingy and can't get the very latest software!

Sidney
    Free Member

I have an N97 with an identical operating system so this should all apply.

Sportstracker V2.06 – is the latest version of sportstracker. I have it running succesfully on my phone.

Ovi – works fine on my Vista PC. Have you tried re-installing it/checking its the latest version? Might take some time for correct drivers to be installed or you may have to run through the wizard which sets up a new device.

Maps – as previously suggested download the maps to your phone. If you get ovi up and running download them from there.

votchy
    Free Member

Is there a conflict if I keep PC suite on my pc and then install Ovi? Ovi was downloaded last night from the nokia site so I would think it is the latest version. When running the set-up wizard I connect the phone using the usb cable and after it searches for several minutes it says it cannot find a device connected to my pc. Will have another play tonight.

Have got the latest version of ovi maps on my phone, 3.06. This still only shows major a roads and motorways and they are only visible when I zoom out to 4km screen setting, they then disappear when I zoom in, how can I fix this as I need more than major roads for route planning.

Thanks for the link to sportstracker, will install tonight.

br
    Free Member

Needs Windows 7 – christ I'm still on XP!

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Did you select the mode on your phone when you connected the cable? Need to select 'PC Suite' rather than image transfer or whatever the other ones are

Dekerf853

Free SatNav now on Nokia Maps for the 5800.
    Look here:
    http://maps.nokia.com/ovi-services-and-apps/ovi-maps/downloads#/nokia-5800-xpressmusic/

………Jim.

IA

" they then disappear when I zoom in, how can I fix this as I need more than major roads for route planning."

You need to use maploader to load the maps on, like I keep saying…

TN
    Free Member

As stated above, you def need Map Loader.
    Also be aware the Europe maps are 2.2Gb so unless you have an inclusive data package I wouldn't even think about trying to d/l using the phone.

That said, I can't get the GPS positioning to work on my 5800 so the map data is kind of surplus to requirement at the moment. I think this may be a vodafone issue, rather than a program problem.

votchy
    Free Member

Right then, many thanks to all, finally got maps sorted, loaded Ovi successfully and it recognised my phone, used maploader (as IA keeps saying :wink:) and all is well now, also copied Sportstracker v2.06 across from my old 6220 and that seems to be working ok too.

I am now at peace with my new phone so just treated myself to a listen of The Prisoner with Clive Burr's drum intro 😀

RoterStern
    Free Member

Just look after that damn stylus as I have just lost my third (damn things seem to fall out at the worst moments) and the touch screen doesn't seem to like fingers that much.

Bez

I've never used my stylus. Fingernails work perfectly.

molgrips
    Free Member

The maps on mine don't show up minor roads and all until you zoom in further than you'd expect. That's the only think I can think of – they are definitely all there.

As for the stylus – never use it, always use the plectrum on the lil bungee cord 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Nokia 5800 – owners help me’ is closed to new replies.