Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Nokia 5800 anygood?
  • dobo
    Free Member

Time to upgrade the phone and i can get the 5800 as free upgrade to keep me with voda

its got a touchscreen..?, anyone use/used one, anygood?

jova54
    Free Member

Yes.

I’ve had one for about a month and I’m getting more out of it than I ever did from any other phone (mind you I have plenty of time on my hands at present).

Probably not got the apps at the moment that iPhones have but I have enough toys to play with at present. I’ve got rid of my iPod and got all my music on the phone and I have set it up to access my home WiFi to save having to use WAP for downloads. Next toy to investigate is iPlayer.

Got mine free when I renewed and reduced my contract with Vodafone.

My eldest daughter got on the other day from Orange after threatening to leave. She got some ridiculous talk and text deal and the new phone on a 12 month contract for about £14 a month.

cp

I’ve used one, and the interface and usage is FAR more clunky than the iphone. Although you may actually get more functionality in the 5800 (nokia maps with local storage of maps, better camera, iplayer downloads), the touchscreen experience and access to apps makes the iphone still the better overall package. My thought is that I prob wouldn’t use the functionality that much as the menus/options and interface are so clunky.

the 5800 is prob. ok unless you’ve tried an iphone!!!

dobo
    Free Member

Thanks for your input

I played around with a blackberry storm today, was ok but think i’ll just go for the 5800, seems to do what i want, its just a phone at the end of the day

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for a month. Verdict: pretty good

It isn’t as good as an iPhone, but then you can only get an iPhone free if you shell out £35 a month and/or make a contribution to the price of the handset. iPhone is locked to O2 for at least another 3 years – strategically a very bad move on Apple’s part!

I’m on an 18 month Vodafone contract, £15/month, free handset.

iPlayer (from BBC) is great! You can only stream at the moment, but when Nokia release V20 firmware, downloading will become possible. However you can faff around and sideload programmes via your pc.

There is also BBC Mobile TV which is live TV streaming – poor quality picture, but just about acceptible. I do this over wifi (I deleted all other profiles because I don’t need, or want data over the air).

Web browsing is a bit of a chore and the UI is clunky. I have found details of a download that enables your 5800 to NOT emulate a WAP browser, but to work like an iPhone. I will be trying to get this working to see if it improves things. For web browsing, this phone is generally pretty poor.

The GPS can run in standalone mode (non-assisted – doesn’t use an internet connection). It works well. Nokia Maps tell you where you are and you can download any maps you need, but there are no navigation features unless you subscribe. Tomtom software will not work because it is not compatible with Symbian’s S60V5 touch screen version yet (if ever). If Tomtom worked on this handset I would be very happy. Viewranger do OS mapping ans a user chosen 1:50k map starts from £20. Good for biking or walking! A free demo can be downloaded to the phone. It works quite well, but I think you would need 1:25k if wanting to navigate properly.

Nokia’s music player works ok. Album art doesn’t fully syncronise – it’s a hit and miss affair, even when Nokia’s music player on your PC is used to syncronise. SYncing music is painfully slow – get a USB High Speed Transflash/Micro SD reader.

The radio works well. It has RDS and you get fancy screen saver animations.

There are some voice regonition features. You can get the phone to speak the time. A gimmick!

When someone calls you get a synthesised voice telling you the caller’s name – handy.

Touch pad works well, but auto-disables when not touched for a preset period. or placed near your ear. The phone comes with a protective sleeve, but all the buttons disable automatically and don’t reactivate until you slide the sprung loaded unlock/lock button.

Sound quality is great! Awesome even. The headphone output is adequately loud and as there is a 3.5mm jack socket, you can use quality earphones. There’s an equaliser which allows you to tweak to suit your headphones and your preference. The built in stereo speakers are impressive too.

The video recorder and camera are ok.

The phone has hung on me a few times in the last few days. I think the code is a bit flaky. Nokia are having a hard time at the moment – layoffs. V20 firmware was released, but then withdrawn. It sometimes sorts itself out, or you have to remove the battery and leave it out for a minute or two – a big minus! This happens even when the handset is not doing anything other than being a phone in readiness for a call. In time this handset will be up to Nokia’s usual bullet proof standard.

For me the handset passed the “useful tool v gadget” test, but not with flying colours due to the code issue. The iPlayer is the thing I like best. The 8gb of Micro SD storage should be enough for most people, but the handset will take 16gb. If you want to store a lot of video, this might be what you need.

I would recommend getting this phone, but not just yet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Nokia 5800 anygood?’ is closed to new replies.