Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Noisy rear hubs… recommend me one! clickclickclickclick
  • antennae
    Free Member

I’ve been running Hope Bulbs for years and I love the clicking as I coast along… seems to help with my timing on drops and slow tech stuff… and good to let people you’re there in traffic or on shared paths.

The time has come for a new rear wheel – any recommendations? Seem to be hearing mixed reviews of the Pro II. Are Shimano hubs pretty much silent? What about Halo or DMR? I know Chris King hubs sound amazing but a few too many ££…

Julian13
    Free Member

I’m on my 3rd season of running two pairs of Pro 2 hubbes wheelsets in all weathers and conditions without issue and the pawls are loud on those!

MrNutt
    Free Member

pro2 here, very nice

pypdjl
    Free Member

Pro 2 definitely, no need for a bell…

dobo
    Free Member

shimano hubs are near silent, just great on rigid singlespeeds for stealthy singletrack riding in the woods

Sandwich

Pro2 for me also.

swavis

Another vote for Pro 2. I’ve been running two sets for a couple of years and they’re both fine.

valley
    Free Member

Pro 2 hear as well not a patch on BULB or XC hub’s i,ve had in the past,freehub body get’s chewed up if you don’t use a cassette with alloy Carrier,spring’s for pawl’s a worse design than older hub’s & the bearing’s are poor!! but HOPE customer service is ACE 😀

Anthony
    Free Member

Much prefer the new style ProII pawls personally

Reluctant
    Free Member

Pro 2 hubs are ridiculous in my book – but each to their own! 😆
    If you like the sound of Chris Kings but can’t afford the wedge, check out Halo hubs or built wheel sets . They sound quite similar, having a very fine engagment ratchet. Well made and well priced, too.

z1ppy

Pro II’s here too, love em, find it weird riding either my XC or bulb wheelsets now, as there nearly silent in comparison.

As for the “mixed reviews of the Pro II“, I think that just either ppl who can’t live with the noise, or have had a failure… which considering the amount of ppl saying they run Pro II’s nowadays, it isn’t suprising theres an ‘occasional’ failure.
    Who the hell has a 100% success (no failures) rate?

pinches
    Free Member

i have a bulb on one bike and a pro2 on the other and the pro 2 is far louder! i just freewheel when using the cycle paths and pedestrians move aside!

as others have said, freehub body can get chewed by some cassettes, doesn’t happen on my bulb, ti free hub body 🙂

ScotlandTheScared

Pro2 is the way to go. Loud as hell 🙂 And if they do go wrong (which not that many do) then hope are great on customer service. So you really cant go wrong. And they are good value 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

Pro2 here too with no probs,I like the buzz they make & like other have said above,it lets walkers no you are there 😛

enfht
    Free Member

Solo
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve a Pro 2, too. Very clicky loud.

🙂

Solo
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve a Pro 2, too. Very clicky loud.

🙂

Solo.

xcstu
    Free Member

Hope Pro 3 straight pull are even louder than my older pro2’s….. incredible 😉

enfht
    Free Member

Can someone explain why the clicking doesnt increase hub friction??

thepurist

[heretic]
    American Classic hubs are a bit clicky too ya know. Not as clicky as Hopes, more of a purr than a roar.
    [/heretic]

Hairychested
    Free Member

Hope XC off flebay – cheap and work forever.

thomthumb
    Free Member

pro II – as said above there really are very few failures.

Who the hell has a 100% success (no failures) rate?

honda vtec?

druidh
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member

> pro II – as said above there really are very few failures.

> Who the hell has a 100% success (no failures) rate?

honda vtec?

Urban myth

RDL-82
    Free Member

I’ll stick in a vote for Halo. Got a set of Freedom dics with Spin Doctor hub and they are very similar in sound and versitility to pro2 with bolt through rear etc but at a cheaper price, will have to see whether that matters as only had them for a couple of months but happy so far.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Betd make good clicky hubs and they’re made just up the road.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Noisy rear hubs… recommend me one! clickclickclickclick’ is closed to new replies.