• This topic has 55 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by baa.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Noisy neighbours
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Just moved into a new flat and discovered we have the neighbours from hell: 7.30am Techno, 8.30pm Techno, and now and then lunchtime Techno. As well as loud music (which is like being in the same room as the speakers) they live noisily – you can hear every word and footstep from their flat.

Now I appreciate that hearing neighbours is part and parcel of living in [an old Glasgow tenement] flat, especially when they have bare floorboards, but the music, and occasional jumpy-dancing to it, is just crazy.

Luckily I haven’t been there that much recently, but it’s driving my flatmate (who is housebound following an operation) up the wall.

We asked them nicely to turn it down after a week, which they did, but since then it’s crept back up again. The last 2 visits haven’t been successful – either they can’t hear us knocking or are ignoring us.

We plan to ask neighbours about the history of them and any complaints and write them a letter giving them a chance to be considerate, or be reported to environmental health. We have a record of the times we’ve heard the music, and it’s basically every day!

We don’t want to fall out with them, but we won’t be mugs. I’ve been lucky over the years and haven’t had neighbours this bad – is this a good course of action?

enfht
    Free Member

Buy them some disco lights?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Buy them some dynamite more like.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Grow a pair.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Own them with some Bombers.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Thanks RudeBoy, very constructive.

gonefishin
    Free Member

or be reported to environmental health

Well as you live in Scotland isn’t it a Police issue rather than environmental health? I remember, in the now dim and distant past, the police turning up at parties and switching the stereo off with the clear implication that if it went back on that people would be arrested.

Android
    Free Member

I’d wait until all has goe quiet at night, then fire up the hifi with Bomber by Motorhead, (or similar). Try and get the speakers as close to the ceiling as possible. Just give it one track, then if they do it next day, up it to two tracks, hopefully they should get the message by the time you get through the whole album.

The flat next door to us turns over tenants about every six months, we have been lucky for the last 7 years, but if we get any rowdies, this will be my strategy, after the polite route has failed.

Good luck

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Are these your neighbours?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

My flatmate has looked at the complaints procedure, I’m not sure, I’m English :o)

BeardedDave
    Free Member

Having noisy, annoying neighbours is a genuinely horrible, stressful experience. I had some wonderful ones a while back. Loud music at all hours, loud and colourful arguments in and outside the house (which occasionally ended up with one of them kicking the front door in!), 3 barking dogs permanently kept in the back garden – except when they escaped and crapped in my garden and anywhere else they felt like – and regular visits from the police to their house and mine (asking questions about the neighbours’ activity). I was lucky because I knew that the house was owned by a local housing association, so I just complained repeatedly to them until they were finally moved on elsewhere.

Presuming that they don’t own their flat, see if you can find out who their landlords are and complain to them. Repeatedly. In my experience, the landlords get so fed up with your complaints that they eventually do something about it!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Kill them. Being a noisy neighbour, dropping litter, flytipping, and having a twatty stereo will all become deportation offences when I get in power.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Rudeboy in “being a cock” shocker… 🙄

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

We had some trainee nurses living above us who had a habit of going out and getting properly, awesomely lashed up of a friday, saturday and sunday night, coming home, having a bit of door slamming and putting Dire Straits or Michael Jackson on at 3am.

Now as much as I understand the importance of getting paraletic through drink occassionally, and as much as I understand the stresses of working in the NHS, eventually my patience snapped one morning, so I went upstairs, openened the lecky board and flipped their main circuit breakers.

The resulting chaos, confusion and bedlam did little restore my quiet nights sleep for a good hour until they’d worked out what had happened, but they never woke me again 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

Try having a downstairs neighbour break up with her bloke and listen to James Blunt at high volume for 3 days non stop.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member

Rudeboy in “being a cock” shocker…

Tittysugars in ‘feeling brave enough to insult someone from behind a keyboard non-shocker’…

To the OP; come and live here for a week. When you get back home, it will seem like a haven of peace…

Joxster
    Free Member

Kick the door in, and smash up the hi fi with a baseball bat, then tell them next time it’s their legs 👿

Kuco

I had to have a go at my neighbours over christmas. I expect the odd party/late night but 3 nights on the row till 2:30am I flipped. Even though they are chinese and speak very little English when I started ranting and raving they soon understood. I did the music trick every time they put their music on loud I dug out some real heavy thrash and played it louder, they soon got the message and I don’t get the music any more. Just got to sort out the fire door slamming habits now.

We have had several lot of chinese students and all have been friendly and polite but this lot is the most ignorant bunch i’ve came across and can’t wait till they leave.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ok so, I’ll attempt some ‘constructive’ advice…

Fighting fire with fire will only negate any claim you could make against them. And possibly heap more misery on your other neighbours.

If talking to them does not in any way work, then find out who the landlord is. Complaints against a property are recorded, and disputes can be recalled, if the property were to go onto the market. Landlords have to be responsible for their tenants’ behaviour, so have to act, if there is a serious problem. Anything that might potentially affect the value/potential sale of the property will be taken seriously, for sure.

You could of course have fun with psychological torture. I cannot reveal any details of possible actions you might try, as this might be a bit illegal. I’ll leave that to your imagination…

The trick is, not to be intimidated by anyone. Even if they appear threatening. Only yer proper nutters will actually do owt bad, in retaliation.

How old are you, and how old are they? I am currently experimenting with a ‘mosquito’ yute-repellent system; very high-frequency sound, played at very high volume, through loudspeakers. I’ve chosen a pulsed tone that I cannot hear, but youngsters can. So far, any groups of yutes making noise outside, have moved on within 5 minutes of me turning it on. Result! You could use such a system, really late at night, and it will drive them mad. It has the advantage that most people woon’t be able to hear it, so woon’t be able to back up any claims of harassment from them. You will risk upsetting any neighbours’ kids and pets, mind. A localised targetted system would be preferable; any communal ventilation systems?

Problem neighbours? Come to RudeBoy. I will make all their nightmares come true…

(BTW; I actually get on really well with all my neighbours, even miserable old Johnny (he’s not well). Some even give me plants)

samuri
    Free Member

We’ve got some now. They’re very noisy, it’s weird like all their hearing is damaged. Everything they do is noisy. Talking, telly, music, XBOX, radio in the car, kid, even the **** dog is noisy. I fear they have some mental disorder and as long as they keep the noise up they can’t hear the voices in their head.

i got woken up the other night by the woman screaming really loud in bed. Actually a good thing because my wife mentioned it to her a few days later and she said she woke up with a hangover but that must have made them realise we can hear them all the time and everything has been turned right down. They clearly didn’t realise how loud they were.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

click my name

Hairychested
    Free Member

Would you like some music to drive them round the bend? Try Cold Spring Records releases, seem rather good with my mate’s flatmates. Satanic Bible is also good (6 hrs of monotonous rumbling of a serious-sounding bloke).

samuri
    Free Member

click my name

If you have mental health problems, problems with alcohol or substance use, or another condition like insomnia, then you may be oversensitive to noise.

It’s like you’ve been spying on me.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s a police matter in Scotland. They can go in and take away stereos and stuff if they want.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The trick is, not to be intimidated by anyone. Even if they appear threatening. Only yer proper nutters will actually do owt bad, in retaliation.

haha hahaaaha not from the stories and experiences of time in liverpools residential districts (or half the population are “proper nutters”). Retaliations for disagreements included cars beaten beyond recognition, windows put through, visits from balaclava’d folk, but more often than not they were expensive and impossible to trace minor issues – car keying, paint on car, paint through letterbox etc. And sometimes some of those were done just for kicks of a weekend, not as retaliation for anything!

I’d hate to live in flats any larger than the ones I’m currently in (2 large semis turned into 4 flats), even now the deaf old woman next door and the 2 women upstairs with a yappy dog annoy me at times!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you don’t live in Queens Park do you, just before we moved out we had some new neighbours upstairs who partied from friday night until monday morning. I was going to go to the phone box round the corner and reporting suspicious comings and goings from a flat but thought better of it and just hammered on the door looking pissd off until they turned the music down.

If you live in a tennament then try the close management system thingy then call police

BoardinBob

If not already mention, the next time they’re making noise go and chap their door. Don’t ask them to turn the music down but instead keep it as normal and bring them into your place to let them hear how loud it is in your flat. They genuinely (and stupidly) may not realise how bad it is.

atlaz
    Free Member

We had one where the guy didn’t realise the noise. Moved his speakers, started watching TV with headphones on. Great guy until he was drunk at weekends with his mates and they’d start to party at around midnight and stop around 6am. He’d never answer the door to me but the noise would go down and he actually took to avoiding me if he saw me on the street. Can only assume he thought he might be up for a slapping.

zokes
    Free Member

RudeBoy – Member

Teetosugars – Member

Rudeboy in “being a cock” shocker…

Tittysugars in ‘feeling brave enough to insult someone from behind a keyboard non-shocker’…

To the OP; come and live here for a week. When you get back home, it will seem like a haven of peace…

Ah yes, that’ll be the you of living in the mother-frigging great city you always bleat on about. All I get woken up by is the occasional bleating from the lambs up here in stone-aged North Wales 🙂 And you were being a cock really…

slimtubing
    Free Member

I rented a room in Windermere from a friend in 96/98 and was told a lovely story by the women accross the hall, it seems the previous tenant in our flat was a little old lady who used to complain about the noise coming accross the landing and into her flat. there was of course no noise but the old girl repeatedly sent her daughter round when she visiteed to complain of thumping noises.
    Any way the old girl gets too frail to look after herself and the daughter takes her in and the flat is rented to us. a couple of weeks later the daughter visits our neighbour to apologise; it seems the thumping noise travelled to her house and the old bat was complaining still.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

All I get woken up by is the occasional bleating from the lambs up here in stone-aged North Wales

That’s wonderful. Don’t you have some chickens to milk, or something?

Noise don’t bother me that much. Ive lived next to railways, schools and prostitutes. I make enough racket anyway, so I don’t notice any extra.

Day One of the Mosquito trial has gone extremely well. No yutes lingered for more than a few minutes. I am going to speak to someone about having a self-contained unit made, to bung on me balcony, and operable by a remote switch. something like a 40 watt amp, and a pulse that alternates between two very high frequencies should do the job. My neighbours are very interested in the project.

The best way of dealing with troublesome neighbours, I’ve found, is through subtlety, not steaming in there all worked up. Bring things to a psychological level, where you are in control.

franki
    Free Member

7.30am Techno, 8.30pm Techno, and now and then lunchtime Techno.

Uh, oh….you don’t live next to me do you? 😯

hora
    Free Member

Who listens to Techno now?! Its tailed off badly in quality and alot of house music now is very bland compared to even a few years back. I still shudder at my old next door neighbours love of ‘ring of Fire’ played at full volume. All thebest OP. A good friend of mine is going through the same with her neighbour in a Edinburgh tenement flat below her.

Junkyard
    Free Member

RB are you really having a go at someone for having a go at someone else on a internet forum
    What next berating someone for lengthy replies?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

franki
    Free Member

hora wrote:

Who listens to Techno now?!

Me, for a start. 🙂
    Good stuff to be found still. Cocoon & Minus are my current favourite labels.
    Atomic Jam (techno night)is still going strong in Brum.
    I’m getting more into psytrance at the minute though…

zokes
    Free Member

That’s wonderful. Don’t you have some chickens to milk, or something?

Chickens milked, cows sheared, pigs herded, goats put to work on the plough – It’s all go up here! Good job I’ve got decent broadband too though so I can keep up with the banter on here whilst being so busy giving the sheep a good seeing to. I seem to remember you’ve had quite a few problems getting such basics as phone and broadband in Londonshire. Still convinced it’s the best place in the universe ever?

hora
    Free Member

Jazz or Ska is where its at 8)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I seem to remember you’ve had quite a few problems getting such basics as phone and broadband in Londonshire

Really? Blimey, you need to get a life mate. Even I don’t remember that. Mind, I don’t spose there’s that much to do, up in Walescestershire, other than follow the lives of others on tinternet..

Still convinced it’s the best place in the universe ever?

From my experience of the Universe so far, yes.

hora
    Free Member

7.30am Techno, 8.30pm Techno, and now and then lunchtime Techno.

Meet fire with fire? Start playing Nana Mouskouri from 10pm to 1am with the speakers face-down on the floorboards above his bedroom and cover the backs with cushions/carpet etc. When your on holiday- give a friend a key and get them to do this all through the night.

When hes banging on your door, ask him how he likes meeting fire with alot more fire?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Noisy neighbours’ is closed to new replies.