Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Noises from carbon road frame: what's normal?
  • SaxonRider

My new-to-me bike, a 2014 Wilier GTR, emitted a couple of click- or crack-type sounds on a climb yesterday, then did the same again tonight.

It’s the kind of thing I might have expected from the bottom bracket of my old mountain bike, but this came from the front end somewhere.

I’m not asking you to identify it, but I have looked over the bike quite thoroughly, and can see nothing wrong. Is this just what carbon does? I have never ridden a fully carbon bike before, which is why I ask. If it’s just the normal way of things, then I’ll stop worrying.

Ultimately, how delicate is a decent quality carbon frame?

scotroutes

Internal cable routing? It’s fairly common to get clicks as you turn the bars a little, even the sort of wee wobbles that often happen as you’re climbing.

Other than that, difficult to say without having the bike.

How delicate is a decent quality carbon frame?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6APhKvaW6ig[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

My Kona has been creaking a lot for years. Never worked out what it is. I suspect BB threads. But there are any number of things.

Problem with carbon is that a tiny sound gets amplified so it sounds worse.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Had a similar front freak from my carbon road bike (mainly climbing). I stripped my entire front end, cleaned all the bolts and surfaces, and re torqued them to correct settings.

It was a slightly loose front Q/R…(so pulling bar side to side climbing made it move slightly in the drop outs).

As Molgrips says carbon frames make great echo chambers so tiny inconsequential issues sound like imminent death.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Noises from carbon road frame: what's normal?’ is closed to new replies.