Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Noise from your next door neighbour
  • waller
    Free Member

I might be a bit noise sensitive but would you think drilling holes in the wall at this time of night deserves a knock on the door?

Got a 4 month little one that I’ve just got to sleep. Wondered if I’m being a bit neurotic if that’s the word……

marvincooper

If it’s a one off and doesn’t last more than a few minutes I wouldn’t bother. Much more than that I’d probably have a word. Guess it depends how well you get on though. Only noise we get from next door is singing in the shower which is pretty entertaining.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

If they are still drilling (after 10pm), a knock just to politely remind them you have a young child trying to sleep and will it be going on much longer.

No point shouting at them just yet, try diplomacy before war.

waller
    Free Member

Just been around there. It’s not them. It’s the new young chap two doors along putting his curtains up. Drilling into the lintel.

Been moved in for three days. Great time to start drilling holes. Interestingly I’m suprised at the amount of noise that’s traveled through.

Will have a quick chat with him when I say hello in the daylight hours. That is unless he carries on for another hour. Then he will be getting a grumpy Waller chat tonight.

Cheers guys. I’m good at losing my rag and going mental. Happy thoughts….. Happy thoughts…… Happy thoughts……

globalti
    Free Member

You should have gone along and told him politely that even though you live two doors away his drilling was disturbing you and your family. Opportunity missed.

khani
    Free Member

Our old neighbours spent a month hammering and banging getting their house ready to sell, then the new neighbours spent two months ripping it all out and redoing absolutely everything at all hours.. 🙁

hora
    Free Member

? Hes not putting up curtains in a 12 bed mansion. Give him a break ffs.

yunki
    Free Member

We got a knock from our neighbour just gone six last night to ask if we minded them drilling for 10 minutes or so..

ekul
    Free Member

I actually have a little bit of sympathy with the neighbours in this instance. Given the time of year its likely they’re trying to get the house ready before Xmas and unfortunately that means a few late nights. In fairness they probably never expected a bit of drilling to be heard two doors down!
    i know when we got our house it was our aim to be in for xmas (got the house late november). It needed completely stripping out and redecorating/building. There were some late nights there, although we tried not to bang around too much too late. And we had a detached so it made it a little easier.

in your shoes with a young child though I’d feel exactly the same! Just let them know in the future, the chances are they never realised how loud it would be.

toys19
    Free Member

might be a bit noise sensitive but would you think drilling holes in the wall at this time of night deserves a knock on the door?

Got a 4 month little one that I’ve just got to sleep. Wondered if I’m being a bit neurotic if that’s the word……

Are you my downstairs neighbour in Aberdeeen? We have this drilling nosie most evenings from one of our next door neighbours, turns out its a Saniflo loo (lots of flats round ere) pumping waste, sounds like a ruddy makita.

waller
    Free Member

Break was given. Seeing that he was putting them up. I’ve offered to give him a hand if he needs it with anything as he is in his own. Get it done quicker then too.

I was a bit grumpy last night. I get up for work at 4am. Not anyone else’s problem other than mine.

project
    Free Member

Worked in a multi storey block of flats once, 10 floors me on top floor planning 2 doors with power plane at 20.00, the chaps phone didnt stop ringing so had to keep stopping, started planning again phone would ringing stop work, went on for an hour, thought he was some sort of drug dealer, worked out he was the chairman of the residents commitee, and the residents where complaining to him about some nutter working at 20.00 hrs, when i asked him why he wanted the work doing so late, his reply was i wanted to see emerdale and coronation street without you making a noise.

maxtorque

yunki
    We got a knock from our neighbour just gone six last night to ask if we minded them drilling for 10 minutes or so..

So your neighbours are adventurous sexually, but lack stamina?? 😉

stavromuller
    Free Member

My next door neighbour’s walls must resemble Emmental cheese with the amount of holes he’s drilled in them over the years, which he’s done at all times of day and night. Anymore and the whole place will fall down due to it being mostly plastic plugs and screws.

andyl
    Free Member

The joys of having your closest neighbour about 300m away and being surrounded by woods.

I can sympathise with both though having been on both ends.

verses

Not sure where to begin but I’m near the end of my tether with my neighbours.

When she moved in (about 3 years ago) she gutted the place and renovated. But only from 7pm to 10-11pm Mon to Fri and on also on weekends (although she’d not start at the crack of dawn on a Sat+Sun, she’s start at 2 and carry on to 10-11pm). We had a 3yo at the time with 7:30pm bed time.

Complaints were largely ignored. I think she thought she was doing something about the noise, but in reality she wasn’t.

About 9-12 months later she’d finished. However she also has semi-regular screaming matches with her other half. These rarely take place during the day.

In October we’d had enough and started keeping a noise diary. Since then she’s/they’ve woken us 6 times in the last 7 weeks. This Saturday she was screaming at him from about 1:15am to 2:30-ish and then again around 3:30ish for another 20mins or so.

There was also a major, exceedingly drunken, screaming session in April/May where we were woken to the whole house shaking as she tried to beat down her front door (careful now) in the mistaken belief that her other half had locked her out (we even got an apology and box of chocs for that one).

All this from the head of “Latin and the Classics” at the local posh school…

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Strange how noise carries in terraces.

One side has been empty for 3 months, then I heard banging and running water/knocking the other side of the wall at 10pm (our bedroom neighbours their bathroom .. sounded like kids in the bath with the people that used to live there) so I though ‘strange .. hand’t noticed anyone move in’

it continues then I get worried about about squatters, take a look outside and all black and quiet, however the neighbour on the other side of the house with a couple of rooms and a party wall in the way, and ground floor as opposed to 1st floor is washing up in the kitchen!!

I blame it on cavity walls and the fact that it’s a 1970’s terrace with such big windows the external walls are mostly reinforced doorways and lintels.

mark90
    Free Member

Our neighbours woke me up a 3am this morning with their banging. She is a screamer. Hopefully we’ll be moving soon 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Noise from your next door neighbour’ is closed to new replies.