Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • noise from drivetrain…..
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

went out yesterday and did a big ride, on the climbs i noticed what i can only describe as a sort of 'hamster wheel turning noise' when i pedalled up a bank……it then disappears when pedalling on flat or downhill, yet as soon as i start uphill it starts again, almost sounds like if your brakes were catching on each revolution…though i know its defo not the brakes…..

i then came back from said big ride and give it a mighty big clean, chain, chain rings etc….

went out again this morning and its doing exactly the same on climbs?? the hamster wheel spinning noise….really is an annoying noise…im 99.9% sure its coming from the BB area, as it only happens when pedalling with force up hill??

any ideas guys??

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anyone please 🙂 so i can have a play/fiddle today whilst i have chance 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Think I've seen the source of your troubles… 😉

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any one pleaseeeee 🙂

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Only slow speed squeaking (speed though, not pedalling) was the robber seal/boot on the end of a Decathlon rear hub turning on the hub rather than staying fixed so, a seal somewhere that is caching? Or if you are sat and cranking, seatpost/saddle movement?

shermer75
    Free Member

I quite often get noises that only happen when going up, I guess that's when you're putting more stress thru the various components on your bike. Is the BB still running nice and smooth? Do the cranks need removing and regreasing? Are the pedal bearings still ok? I'd look for that kind of thing, really…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers for input….

xt chainset is new from about jan…came with new xt ht2 bb, fitted by a bike mechanic….pedals are literally brand new xtr, i havent got a torque wrench for that job but they are tight…….

bb runs smooth, its not crunching or grinding, its just the noise, not so much creaking, its like i said i can only describe it as a sort of hamster wheel spinning in its cage sort of sound haha, if that makes any sense what so ever 🙂

it happened in the winter, but it turned out id forgot to put some lube on for some time, and the salt etc had dried out the drivetrain, put some lube on and that disappeared….but now its fully lubed…

andy7t2
    Free Member

when it happened to me turned out to be loose bolt on the deraileur hanger check all the bolts are tight.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any further thoughts or opinions on what else it could be or to try?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘noise from drivetrain…..’ is closed to new replies.