Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Nobby Nics differences?
  • johnsquiresplectrum
    Free Member

Im thinking about giving a set of these a try. On CRC they have many different Nics ranging from £20 to £46.

Does anyone have any experience of the cheaper Nics compared to the more expensive?

Do they share the same characteristics or are we talikng a completely different tyre?

Cheers.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Firstly I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to comparing tyres, I just started a few weeks ago having ridden same brand for 3yrs.

That being said I’m finding the cheap Nobby’s better than the expensive Fat Alberts. The cheaper tyres are a little heavier and thicker but I’m finding them more grippy and to me that’s the most important thing. I’d say the more expensive Nobby’s will be better (eg lighter) than the cheaper ones but to me that’s secondary as to whether you like the tread/grip/rolling resistance etc. FYI I’ve ben riding High Rollers but I wanted a more all round and xc capable tyre.

jonke
    Free Member

Can act like almost completely different tyres. It’s all in the compounds used and the weight of the tyre.

I’m loving my triple compound evo Scwalbes at the moment after years of hating Scwalbes – the trailstar/pacestar compounds options makes a huge difference.

http://www.bikediscount.com has cheap nobby nics for €30 a tyre for the evo/pacestar tubeless ready version at the moment (tho you do have to pay postage too)

bigbloke
    Free Member

Cheaper compound is harder and wears better but lacks the finesse in grip of its more expensive version.

honourablegeorge

Big differences in the casings too – Evo and Snakeskin versions have thicker/better protected sidewalls. There’s a weight penalty, but it’s one worth paying, the lighter ones are easy to rip, the Snakeskin very durable.

transapp
    Free Member

Second all the comments above really. I’d pay the extra for snakeskin pacestar again, they are great (and seem to wear well too)

johnsquiresplectrum
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice.ill have another look and try one of the more expensive ones.
    Have you guys used them as a pair or do u find them better as a front or rear?
    I must admit to buying my tyres as pairs but from looking on here i see alot of people seem to use different ones f&r.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I use mine as a pair pretty much all year. Have changed to Racing Ralph just because i was curious and fancied a change for the dry spell this year.

However i would happily still stick with the Nobby Nics all year round.

transapp
    Free Member

I used a racing ralph rear for racing, but for general riding, nics front and back.

johnsquiresplectrum
    Free Member

Thanks gents. I thionk I’ll get a pair of nics and see how I get on. After I scrape funds together for new forks for the Mrs! 🙁

gaznewns
    Free Member

Ralph on rear unless really messy then I pair.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Nobby Nics differences?’ is closed to new replies.