Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Nobby Nics better than Hans Dampfs?
  • dooge
    Free Member

I currently have some Hans Dampf 2.35 Evo’s, Super Gravity, Tubeless Ready and Vert 3 star compound. I find them grippy as anything but draggy and heavy. Ill happily loose some grip for something less draggy!

Am I right in thinking Nobby Nics would be the good alternative? Im doing a mix of basic woodland and gravelly and rocky fireroads. I dont really want to lose the puncture protection these have offered so far but it would be nice to drop a little bit of weight and rolling resistance. Question is, which model Nobby Nic to go for?!

Clink

Personally I hate NN’s. Front or rear?

dooge
    Free Member

Both probably, maybe just rear. There are so many combos my mind is boggling at the moment. Do you use Hans Dampfs Clink?

Clink

I have HD’s – both Trailstar and Pacestar front and Pacestar rear. Just the standard ones though, not Super Gravity etc.

jim25

Why not use the not so sticky and non super gravity hans dampf if your riding fireroads .

stoffel
    Free Member

NN’s are very good for fast, flowy trails, but the Dampfs are superior on more ‘technical’ trails where grip is paramount. The NN’s are a lot better than many other similar tyres inmy opinion though.

Clink

NN’s are ok on man-made stuff, rubbish in mud – imo 😀

maxtorque

I run SG dampfs on my “heavy” wheels for rocky stuff in the UK (N/wales, Peaks, BPW etc) and trailstar Nics onmy “light” wheels for everywhere else. No, the Nics aren’t as grippy as the dampfs, but they roll much better and are a heap lighter.

Mind you, i’m not that fussy about tyres, i’m quick on anything…… 😉

zero-cool
    Free Member

Ann’s are my least favourite tyre for MTB. Tubed or tubeless they roll around and fold over unless pumped up rock hard when pushing them through turns. They’re light and roll quick so great if you only want to ride in a straight line. I rode mine for a solid fortnight (13 out of 14 days) and gave them away in the car park to a random punter before going home.

Try some of the Specialized tyres or keep a HD on the front. Maxxis Aspen seems to work well as a rear

campfreddie
    Free Member

2.35″ Hans Dampf front (trailstar)
    2.25″ Racing Ralph back (pacestar)

Both snakeskin

Job done. Killer combo and not at all draggy.

kimbers

Hans dampf front, ardent rear, in the dry

High roller 2s in the wet

chiefgrooveguru

I can’t imagine how slow rolling a Vertstar SG Hans Dampf must be – it’s a very sticky tyre! Trailstar front, Pacestar rear is the norm for trail/enduro riding, overkill for XC. Even downhillers would be unlikely to run Vertstar at the back because they’re so slow and sticky and wear out really fast.

egb81
    Free Member

Nobby Nics shouldn’t be anywhere near a bike as far as I’m concerned. I’d rather have a slightly draggy tyre than one that is as unpredictable (useless) as NNs

madjak
    Free Member

Had NNs on various bikes mainly because I had them. Found them fine, generally on the rear. Would recommend Nextivators, a little heavy but puncture resistant and grippy. Just Done Afan with one on the front and felt good and climbed well.

Edit: Just checked, NN on rear:-)

mattjg
    Free Member

NNs OK on the rear, my Nic on the front days are over, never felt confident in them in the wet.

bikeneil
    Free Member

NNs OK on the rear, my Nic on the front days are over, never felt confident in them in the wet.

What do you use now on the front?

mattjg
    Free Member

Spesh Purgatory Control (dry) or Spesh Butcher Control (wet, or rocky), both 29×2.3

Go up an absolute doddle on Crests and acceptable profile (I tried HDs and decided they were too light bulby, they also gather mud like the proverbial to a proverbial).

Northwind

I tried Nobby Nics on an XC bike, they were alright for a short time til the blocks started losing their shape, then they lost half their grip despite being only a few rides old. And the punctures, my word, I don’t think anyone’s ever cut a tyre on zoom or bust in the history of the trail except I managed it twice on these bollockses.

I don’t have anything very productive to add though, just Nobby Nic slagging. Wasn’t overwhelmed by the Hans Dampfs either, mud magnets. Usually I’d say Specialized Butcher but they’re not that tough (I get on fine with them but I can see why others don’)

mattjg
    Free Member

one of my riding buds is happy on Michelin Wild Grip’R

jam-bo

Go see Andy, get some of those onza ibex if he still has them in stock.

nick1962
    Free Member

What tyre for

basic woodland and gravelly and rocky fireroads

35mm max!

Superficial
    Free Member

Mountain Kings are my choice for hans dampfs with a bit less drag. Basically because they come in something other than size:huge. Tread pattern and grip pretty similar, nice and resistant to punctures.

Nobby Nics are terrible tyres IME. No grip, no width, no pinch protection. I’m sure they’re ok for some people but if you’re accustomed to Hans Dampfs you’ll struggle.

darrenspink
    Free Member

2.35 trailstar HD on the front and a pacestar evo 2.2 NN on the back for me at the moment. Survived Ard rock enduro.

dooge
    Free Member

Hmmmm, interesting. I love the puncture protection and tread pattern is great, confident and hold their own on most terrain. Seems like I shall be paying a visit to Dartmoor Cycles (bit of shameless plugging) to find a combo.

Im happy staying with Hans Dampfs if they arnt so sticky. I find going downhill they fling up the tiniest of stones and pebbles because the tacky tread catchs them as they are going round. Maybe thats just me. I dont fancy shelling out on Nobby Nics if they are going to be pants.

Thanks for all the opinions!

covertbaz
    Free Member

I’ve just switched from HDs to a Magic Mary up front and a Rock Razor on the rear, perfect combo imo

superstu
    Free Member

Tyres are very subjective but I would add another ‘not NN’ vote.
    Mountain kings are ok, haven’t experimented enough with others so won’t give opinions. Mates use Specialized tyres and always been impressed with them.

endurokid
    Free Member

Have you tried Highrollers? Come in various compounds/widths and they’re probably one, if not the best tyre I’ve used (along with Minions).

Flaperon

Found the Hans Dampfs really draggy but unpredictable – even running low pressures they washed out really unpredictably when riding across slopes. Twice I found myself catapulted from the bike to land painfully some distance away.

Swapped them to Specialized “The Captain”s and never looked back. Still in the garage, only had two weeks riding. Looking forward to binning them.

dooge
    Free Member

Flaperon, which width/compound/spec? Id be tempted to have them for a nominal fee if you wanna get rid. I like them, I had Big Bettys before and liked those but too heavy.

chris_db
    Free Member

I bought a pair of the Vert Star HDs and thought I’d lost a lung…… they grip – permanently.

Now fitted a Rock Razor Pacestar on the rear and my lung is back!

Chris

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Rode HDs for over 18 months in all conditions and absolutely hated them. Run NN’s now and adore them. Mud loose dirt, loamy scrub, great tyre. I found the HDs so slow it was painful. Dropping in on a berm and I was always wary of being spat out sideways on fire.

So yeah, totally subjective and personal preference. My advice is try a few combos beg borrow or steal until you find a match that’s on the money.

Flaperon
    darrenspink
    Free Member

OP…as you can see from ready above, some hate the tyres others love. They only way to find out is buy and try.
    I usually grab a nearly new off ebay, if I don’t like a sell it on (for about the same price) and try another.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Nobby Nics better than Hans Dampfs?’ is closed to new replies.