Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Nobby nics – are they ally rubbish, or just me?
  • DrP

I’ve had these on my meta for almost a year now, and they just seem a bit, erm, rubbish!
    Seems like zero grip in any slight damp weather, and the tiniest bit of mud sticks to them, creating a “slick mud donut”….

Yeah, they’re light and go up pretty easy (tubeless) but it seems, on all sorts of terrain, they’re naff!

They’re far from a pure summer tyre only design, and are sold as being all round tyres, so is it just me, or are they not that great….

Tempted to try hans damp things, but will check out the weight penalty first…

DrP

Clink

I find then rubbish too.

Swore never to use them again. HD are great.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Racing Ralph’s on the other hand have been THE best tyre I’ve used …..tend to use them nearly all year now

taxi25
    Free Member

I like them, light and fast rolling worth giving up a bit of grip for the rding I do.

DrP

From the schwalbe website!

In a class of it’s own. All around favorite and for many years a serial winner of MTB tests. Why? Nobby Nic is unbelievably versatile. The tread offers unbeatable control in any condition. Thanks to its compounding and construction at the highest EVO level it is light and fast in competition. This amazing performance makes it a true “Allgrounder”.

Google is coming up short on places to get hans d’s from – are they sold out of the standard tubeless ones?

Maybe I’ll drop the pressure on the nics and see how that runs?

DrP

honourablegeorge

Have run 2.4 Snakeskin Nics for ages on the Soul, find them excellent. Can run them real soft tubeless.

Northwind

I didn’t think they were rubbish- they’ve got reasonable grip for their speed and weight. But they puncture pretty easily and they wear absurdly fast (and lose a lot of grip once the square edges are worn off). So, not a tyre I’ll ever buy again but they’re not a disaster.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

HDs also fill with mud and are so big they grind at my frame and give me chan suck which ripped a mech off on Friday. Buuuut, in the dry to intermediate they are totally awesome. Real security at high speeds. I think it’s slow rebound that gives the feel of a soft compound tyre but still fast rolling.

mokl
    Free Member

Find mine (2.25 evo) a total winner on the front with a Ralph at the back. Run them tubeless and fairly soft at 24psi ish.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Sub 28psi pressure seemed to be the key for me.

But rubber queens have been MUCH betterer…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I found mine took some te to wear in. Slippy to start with but I them now. Demoed an anthem 29er with Ralph’s recently and they scared me on anything rooty. No grip at all!!!

DrP

I’ll try lower pressures – maybe sub 25 psi will help…

DrP

Northwind

M1llh0use – Member

Sub 28psi pressure seemed to be the key for me.

The key to letting all the air out? I’m only 9 stone but I had to run them at 30psi to stop them puncturing (and that was tubeless in snakeskins)

grievoustim
    Free Member

I like them in the dry – in the winter (on the South Downs) the doughnut effect is indeed a problem – especially in the woods

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Was ~15stone whenvi was using them, Didn’t find that they (regular, non snakeskin, non tubeless) were an issue with low pressure and don’t remember them getting many “p words”…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Yeh they’re guff, and having to run them at low pressures is laughable imo.

It does depend on priorities; I’ll happily use a heavier tyre and take the grip and confidence-gain that goes with it any day.

scaredypants

I found them to be kack (tubeless ones), but not in the way you describe DrP: 1st attempt had a deformed bead/sidewall that meant it never seated properly

2nd one went on OK but on its first ride a flint cut an entire knob out of the carcass – was hanging by a tiny flap

useless cheesy shite IME

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I never tried them. Everyone raved about them though. I am a cheapskate and buy in bulk that which is in the sales. Last mega buy I did was a load of Specialized Eskars folding and WTB Stouts and Prowler XT and SS, all for between ten and 19 pounds each. Bargain. Great tyres. Can’t find ’em now though, a shame. Good stuff vanishes which is annoying.

bigjim

I think they are great, though I now have a high roller on the front.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Tried some 650B ones on a demo bike recently, absolutely hated them. Spent the whole ride squirming and sliding around, sticking with High Rollers!

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

The key to letting all the air out? I’m only 9 stone but I had to run them at 30psi to stop them puncturing (and that was tubeless in snakeskins)

I’m much heavier, and in all the years I’ve had them, I’ve only had two punctures – one of which wrote off the rim, so I can’t really fault the tyre there, and another pinhole that didn’t seal because my Stan’s had tried out – sealed straight away when I added fresh jizz.

Nipper99
    Free Member

2.35 in the expensive compound – excellent in everything from hardpack to deep leaf mold, wet rocks and roots etc. run at 25 – 30 psi with tube. can’t fault it.

mokl
    Free Member

Tyre in personal preference shocker!

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Some of them Intense ones look promising on CRC. Anyone tried them?

Kryton57

I think it depends on the terrain. Mine are brilliant for the local forest singletrack even in the mud and dont wear any faster than any other tyre, and great for Wales except the do wear quickly on rock.

However I have found the Pacestar TLR to be slightly less grippy than the older triple nano. Running Tubeless 28psi front, 30psi rear.

As moki said…..

DrP

Well i get the ‘personal preferance’ thing to a degree… But I think the concept of a front wheel washing out on slightly damp mud is not many people’s preference!

I’d say though, the NNs do manage fine on dry rocks and roots…

DrP

mrmo
    Free Member

But I think the concept of a front wheel washing out on slightly damp mud is not many people’s preference!

but mud is not just mud, is it chalk, clay, loam etc. different muds suit different tyres

Mackem

I’ve found them ok most of the time, like most tyres. The only time I’ve thought “wow” or “shit” was with Michelin Mud tyres. “Shit” on a wet road section – just dangerous. “Wow” – the same tyres on a dry dusty trail as I couldnt tbe arsed to change them, they were brilliant.

handyandy
    Free Member

mine work fantastically at chicksands, which is nearly always dry/tacky, but are not so great in squishy stuff. I’ve got a rubber queen black shili to go on, perhaps that will be better. Just for info, I’m still using tubes until i need a new rim.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Love mine! I find them pretty grippy. I’ve never tried any of the tractor tyres that weigh a kilo a piece that some seem to run though.

Kryton57

but mud is not just mud, is it chalk, clay, loam etc. different muds suit different tyres

Exactly. I can ride mine instead of mud x with only a small performance disadvantage and often do. Perhaps the NN’s don’t suit where he rides…

matt_outandabout

Nobbys in the Peak grit = teh awesomeness of supply and grippy and yet zippy.
    Nobbys up int’ central Highlands = good, but clag up easy.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I like mine cant say they have ever been a problem

andytherocketeer

preferred the highrollers on slightly more technical terrain than fast gravel trails, but NN on flinty gravel single track.

Funnily enough 3000km on NN and I have 0 punctures, but 300km on highrollers and I had 2 punctures (which is strange, cos most brit MTBers seem to get a puncture on NN/RR within about 1 mile on peaty grit). Highrollers went from half worn to totally and utterly shagged in a week of alpine XC use (like half the knobs disappeared). NN survived use in Germany, Slovenia, Lakes, Cairngorms, and I just put on the part-worn NN to replace the Highrollers.

Will try HD next or maybe something from Conti.

I never believe any user review of anything. Everything is the best thing since sliced bread and the biggest pile of doo-doo at the same time.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I would say they are a race orientated tyre, I’ve used them for racing and love them for that but they don’t seem durable enough for general trail riding as the side walls seem pretty pants.

So, they are very good at what they are meant for doing really.

Scapegoat

Nics suit the sort of stuff round here, good old millstone grit. They do rocky hardback well too.

Moda
    Free Member

Seems like others from your riding area also dont like them, i too have to agree. You should be able to get a Hans Dampf from bike24 or bike discount in Germany. I can vouch these do rather well down south 🙂

fathomer

I quite like them, though I don’t have a great deal of experience with much else tbh. I did quite like the Hans Dampf that was on a demo bike I rode a couple of weeks ago but don’t think it’d fit in my Reba’s.

New bike will probably go with a HD up front and a Nic out back.

sefton
    Free Member

I run tubeless ready (11stone rider) whats a good psi?

inkster
    Free Member

un-supported side knobs seem to be the problem, too squishy in the turn and liable to tear off

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Nobby nics – are they ally rubbish, or just me?’ is closed to new replies.