Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Nobby Nic 2011 vs Crossmark Lust
  • vrapan
    Free Member

I’d like to know how they compare? Grip and shape profile and would the Nic be any better for the winter than the Crossmark? I know asking about tyres is about as popular as be-heading donkeys but oh well!

Running a Lust 2.3 crossmark on the back at the moment but it is huge and it is no match for any sort of mud so was thinking of replacing it with one of the 2.25 nobby nics.

Thanks

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Ardent LUST?

vrapan
    Free Member

Ardent lust is too heavy, looking for something lighter than my Crossmark

steve_b77
    Free Member

After being out with a guy on Saturday who had an Ardent LUST on the back of his shiny new bike I can confirm them NN’s (‘ve got them on mine) are way better in the mud/damp/wet/rocky/rooty conditions we can expect at this time of year.

The Ardent is very much a smooth dry – dryish surface tyre

momo

I’ve not used crossmarks, but my NN’s coped admirably with the mud fest that was my ride this weekend.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

for winter- nobby nick.
    summer, crossmark.

emac65
    Free Member

Use a 2.25 NN on the front of one bike & it’s not very good in mud tbh,doesn’t dig in & just sits on top of it.But got a 2.1 NN on the back of another bike & it’s awesome in mud,gripped like a grippy thing at D2D the other week…..

EDIT : Got 2.1 Crossmarks on another bike & they’re ****’ useless in mud front or back

vrapan
    Free Member

NNs it is then, now off to find a 2011 tubeless 2.1 version! Thanks guys

Whyte1
    Free Member

i hope you have no rock where you live as they tear like paper

vrapan
    Free Member

I do… actually torn an exception Crossmark thus went for the Lust variety with much thicker sidewalls.

Thought the new NNs are tubeless ready ie thicker sidewalss. Am I wrong?

pinches
    Free Member

hmm i’ve never had any issues with tearing them, although one of my friends ripped a non UST racing ralph being used tubeless…..

Out of interest what pressures would you run in your nobby nics? I always stick 40 in but sometimes find them a bit skitty, i thought i might be over inflating.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I have used Nobby Nics for the last 6 months and have just fitted a new rear,2011 pace star compound.Tubeless and 2.25 weigh about 730g.Grip very well but wear quite quickly.

I run 30 rear and 28 front and i weigh 225lbs

Whyte1
    Free Member

About 30psi rear and a little less at the front to get as much grip and as little rolling resistance as possible , Schwalbe have lots of info on there site about psi

vrapan
    Free Member

Running the Crossmarks at 30 and they are very fast but not very grippy, so I was thinking maybe a little less than that for the NNs. I am quite light though at 8 1/2 – 9 stone

cabbage84
    Free Member

Have you considered the new cedric gracia tyre xc tyre I have been very impressed with mine so far saying that I have only used it for a week but its done about 85 mile and has superb grip and excellent rolling resistance in all conditions so far used in both wet and dry conditions

vrapan
    Free Member

Too heavy at 800+ grams also never really got on with my FireXC Pros

dyls

The 2011 Nobby Nics come in 3 diferent grip compounds, pacestar, trailstar and the other which I can’t remember. However I can’t seem to find any online.

I’ve used the 2009 versions of NN and have found them to be a good comprimise betwen speed and grip. I’ll be interested to see the new versions.

I use normal crossmarks on my HT and whilst they roll very quickly, the NN would be better for general trail riding imo.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I ran 2.1 crossmark lusts on my winter bike two years ago and they were epic… Atleast I thought they were at the time… More of a predictable tyre than a grippy one I suppose. I have since compromised with crossmarek rear, high-roller front. Last winter I ran mountain kings f+r and they were again predictable… I wouldn’t ever bother with mud specific tyres – Just use the winter to build skill so you have more confidence in the dry…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

wouldnt bother with either – owned nobby nic 2.25 all grounder evo’s UST’s (ran tubeless) and were shocking up front in wet/mud etc, mate runs crossmarks and had a lot of scary moments at the weekend in mud (he is quite fast and doesnt hold back, but was scared shitless sometimes due to the crossmarks – swears by them in the summer mind)

ditched them for bontrager mud x 2.0 (run tubeless) and never looked back, amazing tyre, cannot tell you just how amazing this tyre is – also rolls faster in my eyes than the nobby nic, im even tempted to get a 1.8 for the rear i have that much confidence in them….

seriously get them you wont be disappointed!

pinches
    Free Member

i think nobby nics perform alot like a high roller, they’re not bad as an “allround” trail try, but they’re not what i’d be using in the winter if where you ride is particularly muddy. i’d not be putting them on if you’ve got crossmarks and you want something that works in mud.

Like the others have said – mud-x, medusas, dirty dans etc are all going to be better towards winter.

specializedneeds

Hi Vrapan, I’d definitely recommend a mud tyre for ridding around Herts this winter, in fact we’ve probably ridden together while I had Mud-X tubeless ready tyres fitted. The mud and leaves are epic around there, doesn’t seem to drain very well.

Another option is a Specialized Storm which is a fair bit cheaper and I found v good as well. The 2bliss version is, guess what, tubeless ready. I’d go for the “Control” version over the S-works version, bit tougher and I doubt the weight difference is noticeable when it’s covered in filth anyway. I’ve also ridden with a chap who had Panaracer Trailrakers while I was on an all rounder: he left me for dead on the descents and the climbs while I was slipping around all over.

Edit: I think the Storm tyres might be a bit tougher than Mud-x?

Scamper
    Free Member

As noted aboove my front 2.25 NN is not great in mud, but the rear 2.0 is ok, but i’ll be swapping to a mud x. Regarding their paper thin side walls, i’ve had no problem with ther snakeskin versions.

dyls

Anyone run the 2011 NN tubeless ready (non ust) as tubeless? How do you find them to set up and seal?

pinches
    Free Member

I’ve run all my scheelite tubeless without them being UST, might need an extra cup of sealant in an Evo carcass tyre as it’s quite thin! If you can get snakeskins or doubledefense versions for tubeless.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Nobby Nic 2011 vs Crossmark Lust’ is closed to new replies.