Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • No Tubes' Crest's for Bikepacking Bike?
  • d45yth
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’m after some tubeless rims for my new bikepacking bike. I’ve looked at the Crest’s but I’m not sure if they’re strong enough? The next step up is to try the Arch but as I’m going to be using the hubs from an old Flow set-up, don’t think they’ll be worth it for the amount of weight saved.
    Any advice? Should I try the Crest’s or has anyone any other suggestions? 26″ by the way.
    Cheers.

RealMan
    Free Member

What sort of riding you going to be doing exactly? And how much do you weigh?

d45yth
    Free Member

I’m just a touch over 10 stone but I do seem to be quite hard on wheels. I think a lot has to do with all the rocks here in the Lakes and I’m not sure if I’ll be bikepacking where I normally ride. These wheels will be for a hardtail with 120mm fork I’m building up just for bikepacking/spare, I have a full-sus for my normal riding.
    I’ve got some Flow’s on CK hubs that are lying about but they weigh 1900g. I don’t fancy using these as they are but it’s going to cost at least a couple of hundred to get them rebuilt with a lighter No Tubes rim. If they weren’t CK’s I’d just buy some different wheels! I’ve already got the Arch rims on my full-sus and the full wheelset weighs 1800g. I don’t really think it’s worth the £200+ to save a 100g or less. That’s why I’m looking at the Crest…they don’t make a rim around the 400g mark.
    Sorry for waffling on!

andyl
    Free Member

hang on…it’s a spare/backpacking bike and you want to rebuild the wheels with CK hubs and crests because you ‘only’ have Flows on CK hubs….

I feel so poor running my heavy LX hub, 717 rim wheels 🙁

I’d just put the Flows on the full susser and run the archs on the occasional bike. And lose 100g of rubbish from your backpack/clothing.

and then donate the money you saved to charity 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

What he said – lose 100gm of high end camping kit…

flatfish
    Free Member

Bit flexy for my liking but I have the man size wheels for bikepacking.

d45yth
    Free Member

Ha, I already have the Flow/CK wheels spare and the back one is quite beat-up. That’s why I was going to get them rebuilt, especially as I’ve been getting some extra money from some bike stuff I’ve been selling lately.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You forgot to mention that you’re a bit of a dick.

Are these bike packing trips solo?

d45yth
    Free Member

cynic-al – I’m not going to rise to it. I came on here to ask about rims and get replies that have nothing to do with them!?! 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

You get replies that respond to your “rubbing it in”.

If you actually ride and have all the fancy kit you should know what will work for you.

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve no experience with the Crest rim and hadn’t owned a hardtail in years. That’s why I’m asking for any advice/experience. I do ride and do usually know what works for me when it comes to 5″ or 6″ bikes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘No Tubes' Crest's for Bikepacking Bike?’ is closed to new replies.