Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • no tubes and actually doing it.
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Evening, so I have ztr crests, have 2bliss tyres. I have stans yellow tape, some valves and some sealant.

Want to set it up but when I look at stans vids they are all 4 years old, so talk about using the rim tape and then a rubber rim strip. I didnt think you needed that.

I thought I remove the green strip thats there, replace with the yellow, but the stems in put the sealant in, shake it about a bit. Pump it up untill they ping (seat) bobs your uncle.

Or am I wrong?

Mackem

I think the rubber strip is just to seal the tape onto the rim better. You remove it after a few hours. (I think)

wolly
    Free Member

there are videos on how to install the tape on the stans site Stans
    for the tape you use a bit of scotchbrite and some brake cleaner to prep the rim

svalgis
    Free Member

Mackem – Member
    I think the rubber strip is just to seal the tape onto the rim better. You remove it after a few hours. (I think)

Yes. You can put a tube on instead. Or just ignore it and hope that it works out anyway (it has for me so far). I didn’t prep the rim either. None of this is to be taken as advice to follow though obviously…

althepal

Put the tyre on, pump it quicly to get the bead on, either inject the sealant through the valve if the cores removable, or jus pop a small section of the tyre, put Stans in then pump hard to get the bead back on and then slosh it around to seal it all.
    I managed it fairly easily with standard nobby nics on my Roval wheels doing the above.
    Edit- they came with rim strips already fitted btw..

jezandu
    Free Member

Do a dry run first. I pumped up my tyres and left them. Their advice is use an inner tube and inflate. The point of doing this in both cases is to ensure the yellow tape is seated right. So be patient at this stage. If your tyres are tubeless then yes all you’ll need yellow tapes then valves then sealant. If not you may need the rubber rim strip but you may not.

chiefgrooveguru

Here’s how I do it:

1. Remove generic tape.
    2. Fit Stans tape.
    3. Put tyre on with inner tube, pump to ~40psi and leave overnight.
    4. Let inner tube down, unseat only one tyre bead and remove tube.
    5. Fit tubeless valve, try pumping tyre up.
    6a. If tyre pumps up and bead seats, then let air out of valve, inject sealant through valve, and pump tyre back up.
    6b. If tyre doesn’t pump up and seat, then add some sealant around bead and try again. Then 6a if successful.
    6c. If tyre still doesn’t seat then use a CO2 cartridge. Then 6a.
    7. Once tyre is up, if it deflates within a few days, repeat step 6a.

If none of that works, use a different tyre!

NB: Do not try this with cold tyres in a cold garage, as that makes them much less likely to seal. Simply using a hair dryer on a tyre for 5 minutes has turned it from impossible to seat to working easily on the next attempt!

retro83
    Free Member

Is it okay to use CO2 with stans? I thought it messed up the sealant or something.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Im intrigued as to why you have to pump it up with nothing in and leave it. Is that purely to see if the tape is on right?

svalgis
    Free Member

It presses the tape onto the rim and also gives your brand new folded tyres some shape, which should ease seating and sealing.

gar69
    Free Member

I would add that prior to putting the stans tape on lightly sand the inside of the rim with light emery paper (where the tape will cover) and then degrease them . Also make sure the tape goes on tight. Def use the tube in overnight tip I have had the LBS do it and the leaked awful….. did it myself slow time and no problems.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Something to do wednesday night then! Hurrah my life is so exciting.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘no tubes and actually doing it.’ is closed to new replies.