Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • No Tools – 'Knocking' Shimano Press Fit BB Out Of Shell
  • slugwash
    Free Member

The pressfit BB on my Defy 1 is creaking like a Plymouth harlot’s bedsprings when a battleship’s returned to port. It’s horrendous, and spoiling my time out on the bike.

I want to remove it, squirt a few litres of Loctite 641 around it and refit it (hopefully to stop the creaking). However, I don’t have the proper tools and I’m also a bit skint at the moment, so won’t be buying any. What would the fellow tool-improvising pressfit BB mechanics of STW recommend using for removal of a pressfit BB in such a way that it’s still functioning upon reinsertion?

I’ve seen a couple of posts online about improvising to remove the BB but none are specific about what, exactly, to use, nor whether the BB is reusable afterwards.

Cheers 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Headset removal tool. Works on mine. Just be careful with where it actually contacts the BB though.

Garry_Lager

My one was / is plastic, so it’s easy to damage the cups with the usual screwdriver and hammer approach. It does come out easy, though, so I’d prob just try and softly tap it out with a carefully placed screwdriver plus a rag around the end.

If that sounds too agricultural then try and borrow the tool? Plenty of them around nowadays.

slugwash
    Free Member

Don’t have a headset removal tool either, I’ve always used a bit of wood but headsets are metal and the BB’s plastic, so more fragile.

(That reminds me, I need to start another post. “How do you remove a stubborn On-one Smoothie headset from a frame without a headset removal tool?” 🙂 )

tomd
    Free Member

Cut off bit of broom handle and a large mallet. Trim girth of broom handle to suit

ollie51
    Free Member

Hammer and screwdriver, just be careful (not too careful you need to get it out and hitting things with hammers if fun)!

slugwash
    Free Member

Is a broom handle wide enough? I was wondering whether a bit of bathroom waste pipe might do it? Cheers.

I hate BB30/71 BB’s. Why didn’t my Defy come with an HTII ? 🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Headset removal tool

???
    Should be too big to fit through the hole! Mine is…..

You should be able to knock it out with a screwdriver but the tool is pretty cheap

Park Tool BBT90.3 has the correct rocket tool and the adaptors to press it back in again 🙂

nedrapier

headset/BB removal tool – 10-12″ copper pipe off cut from ebay, 5-10 mins with a hacksaw and file, some judicious bending and you’re done. wooden plug in the hammer-y end if you’re feeling pro.

I messed up the first cut on mine. Looks like a dog’s breakfast but works a treat.

clubber
    Free Member

PP – mine works just fine. I guess it just depends on the size of your tool 🙂

blairc70
    Free Member

I just used a piece of wood ( pine ) trimmed to fit, couple of sharp tap with hammer, worked fine on my commencal, have changed two now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘No Tools – 'Knocking' Shimano Press Fit BB Out Of Shell’ is closed to new replies.