Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • No results found for "clutch mech durability"
  • sideshow
    Free Member

(Well not on stw, even without the quotes 🙂 )

So these things have been around for a while now, though I’ve only just started using them.

The Sram X9 that came on my bike lost it’s clutching ability after 2 days in Åre bikepark, and not long after its newfound bounce caused it to jump into the spokes.

As everything is expensive in Sweden (though not as bad as Norway) I replaced it with the cheapest available alternative, Sram X7. I didn’t notice how well that one clutched to start with but it certainly doesn’t 10 rides later.

So which clutches are more durable, any recommendations? Has anyone tried shimano vs sram and have an opinion based on evidence? I wouldn’t want to go for top end stuff anyway as I’m bound to smack it on a rock sooner or later.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tightened the early. Sram one up once in 3 years. Was fine gx has been abused for about 9 months now and is still working fine

philstone

I wore my Saint M820 clutch (and pivots) out after about 18 months regular use (2-3 times a week) and 2 trips to the Alps.

NewRetroTom

I’ve had SLX and XT clutch mechs. The SLX one broke after a couple of months of alpine riding, but I disassembled it and replaced the broken bit with one from a bent mech my friend gave me and it has kept working for the next couple of years.

XT one has not had any problems after a few thousand km of riding.

legend
    Free Member

Broke the wee u-shaped bracket in an SLX, then Shimano tweeted the design of said part – been good ever since

Why would a broken clutch send the mech into your spokes?

Northwind

Can’t speak for SRAM but Shimano are decently reliable since they improved the design, and if the clutch does fail it just turns into a normal mech so it’s no crisis

clodhopper
    Free Member

Current bike components? Durability?

Ha ha! 😆

sideshow
    Free Member

@legend – extra rattling caused the bolt to come loose. I had noticed and tightened it. Should have tightened more and added threadlock because maybe the hanger was a bit damaged – it came undone again. First thing I knew about it the second time was rear wheel locking up on an enormous steep wood ramp and me hitting a tree, luckily no long term damage done 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Current bike components? Durability?
    Ha ha!

Insightful… For me it’s a very reliable and good value time compared to 10 years ago

brassneck

I’ve had an XTR one (oooh, get me – it came with the bike as bait..) for well over a year now with no issues.

I have wondered if there is any reason to leave it off generally or when garaging the bike .. I always do as my inner daemons tell me not to leave something under tension if avoidable, but I’m not even sure anything is under tension!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Early SRAM Type 2’s would get slack and need tightening, or stick in forward position. There’s a simple tighten up bolt job you can do easily yourself and then there’s a bigger pull apart and service it job that’s more likely required as I found (needed it fixed asap, so bought another. Still got the old though in case I eventually service it).

Since then had several more Type 2s and not had any issues.

Compared to Shimano they’re much simpler. Just a big tension spring inside basically and no on/off switch mechanism to complicate it.

timb34
    Free Member

So Shimano clutch mechs shouldn’t get softer with age?

Had a Deore one for about 4000km, and there seems to be more chain rattling than when it was new, but it might just be my imagination..

deadkenny
    Free Member

Drivetrain wear could in theory make it slacker, although I’d expect the clutch to literally take up the slack. I don’t know if they do though. I do find (with SRAM) it still rattles more are the stuff wears out and then new chain & cassette it’s back to good again.

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

Insightful… For me it’s a very reliable and good value time compared to 10 years ago

Til last year I was using an exage rear mech I got in the 90s. It’d eaten about 500 jockey wheels but was still going strong. If my current XT lasts 3 years I’ll be fairly surprised. But, it’s way way better, so it’s basically exchanged shifting, number of gears and chain control, for long, relatively crap life.

sideshow
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Maybe the clutch is serviceable on the X7 then, but it’s the new 2.1 type and I can’t find instructions for that only the old 2.0.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

and not long after its newfound bounce caused it to jump into the spokes.

No, it didn’t.
    That was poor adjustment of end stop screw and/or a bent mech hanger.

sideshow
    Free Member

Even though the bolt was coming loose of its own accord?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sideshow – Member
    Even though the bolt was coming loose of its own accord?

Which bolt? try loctite

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘No results found for "clutch mech durability"’ is closed to new replies.