• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • No more soggy bottom (new road bike content)
  • andrewy

Just been for the first proper ride on my new bike, so I thought I’d share. Having decided that almost all my road cycling is in winter, I thought I’d get a proper winter bike, with mudguards. I also fancy a bit of lightweight, yha style touring in the summer, so after much thought decided I needed an audax style bike. So I sold my old frame and bought a new steel Ribble, as it seemed to be just what I was after. I put the Campag Veloce kit, wheels etc from the old bike on, and bought a Carradice saddlebag to complete the look. It’s not too heavy for what it’s going to be used for, and seems to be really comfortable. Rides nicely too, not sluggish at all. So if any of you are thinking of getting one of these frames, do so. It’s really well finished, looks great and rides well. Here’s a pic – it’s redder in real life. Oh, and despite the roads being wet, I came home with a dry bum; result 🙂

simon_g

Nice. What size tyres and how much room for bigger?

Something like that really fits the bill for most of my riding too, then I get my head turned by disc-braked “adventure road” stuff…

ton

very nice that…a bike built for a purpose is the best type of bike.

wwaswas

get those leaves swept up!

also, that front guard is worryingly close to the ground.

will
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

also, that front guard is worryingly close to the ground.

That’s the best bit. Nice looking bike indeed.

amedias
    Free Member

what guards are they actually? was just looking at the front thinking “mmm, nice and long”

JoB
    Free Member

that bar-tape needs re-doing 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Nice. Everybody knows red bikes are faster. Does that frame come disc-ready as well?

MoreCashThanDash

They are “proper” looking bikes. I’d like to try one. Just hypothetical like.

andrewy

Simon, the’re 25c tyes, and I’d say that’s the max. The Mudguards are the SKS Longboard ones. When I fitted them I thought “I’m going to have to shorten these”. However, the black bit is really flexible, going down a kerb it just folds out of the way. And they really keep your feet dry.

kcr
    Free Member

The guards are SKS Longboards.
    I’ve just fitted some, and they work well; the long front channels water away particularly well at the trailing end. The only problem I’ve found is that the front bottoms out when rolling bigger kerbs or steps, but it’s a flexible rubber flap which bends and springs back, so not a major problem.

andrewy

that bar-tape needs re-doing

Hangs head in shame 😐

It’s not disc ready, but I dare say they’ll produce one soon.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

FWIW, if anyone is looking for a cheap winter bike check out the old Genesis Aethers.

I’ve got one running full guards (Vavert ones) and 28mm Gatorksins and there’s still plenty of space in there, I imagine you could fit bigger tyres still.

I’ve found it to be comfy, nice to ride and reliable over the last few years.
    They are also nice and cheap second hand.

The newer Volants don’t have the same clearance.

ahwiles
    Free Member

s’nice that, but you’re in the wrong gear for a photo.

what’s the bag? – the carradice website is apparently bigger than the tardis, i got lost in there for a few weeks before Christmas…

chakaping
    Free Member

Been riding my Ribble with full guards a lot this week, winter bikes are great.

amedias
    Free Member

ta, I’ve got a few sets of Chromoplastics on various bikes but the Longboards look like a good bet for proper coverage.

andrewy

ahwiles – sorry about the gear, just been going uphill. It’s a Carradice Barley. Big enough for day rides or a light overnight trip.

lunge

White tape and saddle on a winter bike, you’re a brave man. Nice bike though, very nice.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘No more soggy bottom (new road bike content)’ is closed to new replies.