Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • no more lube for me !!!!!
  • Ringo
    Free Member

null
    [
    Can’t seem to post pics from phone, first ride on my bike after setting up belt drive ( well my mate did the work while I drank and nodded) and it works perfect woohoo it feels different and runs silently and to top it off its light as ****
    null

z1ppy
    steve_b77
    Free Member

You mean this 😆

tollah
    Free Member

Fake.

😉

z1ppy
    Ringo
    Free Member

Cheers zippy, tollah all indys are fakes 🙂 ill let ya have a play at sswc

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m on my phone so can’t see to well. where is the split in the frame to let the belt pass through.

I really want a belt drive

Ringo
    Free Member

It’s in the seatstay mate

Ringo
    Free Member

Ringo
    Free Member

Someone fix that for me please.

Ringo
    Free Member

nedrapier

Cool. Is it split in 2 places or do you flex the stays and pass the belt through the gap?

Ringo
    Free Member

Ringo
    Free Member

You Flex the stays, its been a bit of a gamble as it ain’t cheap but i think its gonna be worth it now

thepodge
    Free Member

looks like a neat job.

I’m assuming its a gates.

Ringo
    Free Member

Yep gates, had a nightmare trying to get parts, but now I know who to get em off 😀

avdave2

no more lube for me

its been a bit of a gamble as it ain’t cheap

Don’t worry it’ll pay for itself within 100 years or so. 🙂

robsoctane
    Free Member

That looks really neat – well done! I’d love to try this myself on a commuter.

I may get a commuter when I turn 40 odd, when I pootle instead of ride, I know it’s coming… Nowt wrong with change, eh? 😉

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Sorry but I don’t see any advantage? only the niche whore factor on the trail!

cynic-al
    Free Member

HAve a wee think Seth…

OP the seatstay is incredibly neat, who did it?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

as an owner of Belt Drive motorbikes I feel the benefits of them, but the smallest stone to enter into the sprocket and have sprocket/belt interface will shred the belt.

Is there a cutout in the seat stay to allow the belt to be fitted or does the belt have a link??

thepodge
    Free Member

new chainrings and sprockets have cutouts to let stones and such pass through and as a belt weighs less than a lot of chain splitters carrying a spare isn’t a problem.

D0NK

dare I ask how much belts are?

a bit more than these I’ll wager 🙂

oh and do you have to come up with a magic ratio or are the belts custom made?
    (erm or is that an EBB indy?)

simon1975

Yeah, spill the beans on the price for the drivetrain!

And where did you get the kit?

I’d be prepared to commit to a single gear ratio on my Pompino, like I’ve seen someone do on here (epicyclo?), but I like the ability to swap rings for the occasional big trip on the MTB.

molgrips
    Free Member

They last forever though.

Ringo
    Free Member

When i had the frame built by indy fab they put the split in for me, the frame also had to go for testing to check that it was going to be stiff enough for the belt, the drive train cost me roughly £200 but the sprockets were used although they showed no signs of wear, and yes that’s an ebb which gives me the option to run different size sprockets and the same belt. The tension needed to get it to run properly would I think be harder to get on sliders

Pukeko
    Free Member

Ringo, very nice. I would be interested if you have any issues with belt slip on the rear sprocket when you really put the power in offroad (steep tech climb).

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve seen it done a few times on sliding dropouts. the new system supposedly needs a lot less tension so things are looking up.

I_Ache
    Free Member

There is nowhere better for a niche whore to test such an ego chariot than Sutton Park is there?

ericemel
    Free Member

Hmmmm maybe I need this on my fixed cx commuter

geordiemick00
    Free Member

new chainrings and sprockets have cutouts to let stones and such pass through and as a belt weighs less than a lot of chain splitters carrying a spare isn’t a problem.

Good year said that about mine too!! I suppose a 1200cc V Twin bike throughs out a lot of torque which combined with stone would make it an issue, this one went on a Friday rush hour on M60 doing 90mph in lane 4, took some artistic hand gestures to navigate my way to the hard shoulder!

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. I wonder if anyone could design suspension that didn’t have any chain growth – would be useful for belts.

Aside from the Kona job.

ASC
    Free Member

Hey John,
    saw the title, thought you’d gone tea-total 🙂
    nice btw

Solo
    Free Member

Hmm.. I wonder if anyone could design suspension that didn’t have any chain growth – would be useful for belts.

Don’t you just use a tensioner pulley ?.

thepodge
    Free Member

molegrips, there quite a few frames, Kona, Solid, Tank & Cove all do them, quite a few more besides

solo, the spring in a tensioner isn’t strong enough. you need the belt pulled really tight

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Can’t use a rear mech so what’s the point!

thepodge
    Free Member

I’d have thought the thread title would have given away the point (or at least one of them) of belt drive.

M6TTF
    Free Member

is bearing life not affected by the drag due to the tension?

Solo
    Free Member

solo, the spring in a tensioner isn’t strong enough. you need the belt pulled really tight

Disagree. Automotive cambelt tensioners have plenty of beef if reqr’d.
    But above that, more than 170-180 degree belt to pulley engagement would allow excess belt length to be present in the drive train.
    Remember, thats a toothed belt.

Not wanting a flame-up, btw.

So won’t be back here.

🙂

avdave2

is bearing life not affected by the drag due to the tension?

Rohloff have approved the Gates system so they must be happy that it doesn’t cause accelerated wear.

Automotive cambelt tensioners have plenty of beef if reqr’d.

I’m sure you can make one that works but how heavy would it be?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘no more lube for me !!!!!’ is closed to new replies.