• This topic has 34 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • No more Katec?
  • Northwind

Just went on ebay to buy some bearings and I can’t find Katec’s store, any links I have are dead… Did he get lazored once too often?

scotroutes

Last time we were communicating online he said he’d decided to jack it in and was hoping to both move house and start in another career.

legend
    Free Member

Looks like it, tried a few searches on eBay that would usually see him show up, and his eBay shop doesn’t seem to exist past Google either

kimbers

Shame, he certainly knew his bearings !!!

robhughes
    Free Member

Yer seems to be no more.Real bummer as all my bikes and wheel sets are running on his.
    I used to test his new ones on my frames and got loads of bearing presses and extractors free off him.
    Luckily i still have quite a few sets left so ok for a while.His bearings where second to non and great value.
    Real shame as he was a great guy,bit bonkers but aren’t we all. 😀

Northwind

What a bollocks. Hope all is well for him and it’s a positive move. COME BACK KAEL!

Andy

Shame that. Always great bearings from him in the past 🙁

cakefacesmallblock

I wish him well. Was recommended to talk to him for beatings from here. Has since helped me and several friends.
    Cheers Kael.

bigyinn
    Free Member

cakefacesmallblock – Member

Was recommended to talk to him for beatings from here.
    Verbal or physical?

wwaswas

Verbal or physical?

laser beam based, I expect.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Post up the bearing numbers Northwind – I’m fairly sure the guy I use for bike parts can step in for MTB’s

Northwind

Just some 6805s so no bother finding replacements, just I’d sooner have got them from him really. Life is so cruel sometimes.

sv

Not sure but was his name kael shawnasae/mark sword? Googling that isn’t good 🙁
    Anybody confirm it is him?

cakefacesmallblock

😯 Doh ! Bearings. Ha ha !

legend
    Free Member

sv – Member

Not sure but was his name kael shawnasae/mark sword? Googling that isn’t good
    Anybody confirm it is him?

Assuming I’ve just seen what you have, that’s not good at all

thegreatape
    Free Member

Oh dear 🙁

I bought from too and he seemed like a decent bloke.

kimbers

Shit I think that’s him
    That’s terrible

He was really helpful with my last bearing purchase and was genuinely happy to figure out a really odd specced bearing

sv

The photo does seem to be the same guy from earlier STW threads. Although I wasn’t his biggest fan on here and another MTB forum, very sad to read that news.

superfli
    Free Member

Oh dear. Thats very sad news 🙁
    I always found him a very helpful guy and recommended him to friends.

wwaswas

oh, that’s very sad.

RustyMac

Shit,

Just see this tread, i met him a couple of times for bearings when he was in Edinburgh. The picture posted in the obituary is unfortunately him. Meeting him face to face he was a totally different guy to his online persona and went out of his way to help many riders out.

Very sad news.

Andy

Oh thats so sad 🙁 – RIP

toys192
    Free Member

EDIT Just seen the rest of thread, apologies for being insensitive. I had a good few fights with him but came to love him as you do most people you get to know regardless of agreeing with them or not. He also sent me some free bearings once. RIP Kael.

I use Bearing Options and get the cheapest sealed bearings, last for ages.
    (They also sell catapults and archery gear, there is an association there, bearings and catapults…)

Garry_Lager

V sad to hear – RIP

scotroutes

Oh **** it

It was only a couple of months ago he told me he was planning to move house etc. and was asking about jobs in my area.

Peace brother, peace.

jamj1974

Very sad.

fasthaggis

That is a shame,he was very helpful sorting out some bearings for my son’s first Commencal build.

Northwind

Don’t know what to say- thanks for passing it on. He was a good guy.

vinnyeh

Very sad to hear this, helpful and seemed a nice guy.

rickmeister

Sad indeed, just googled him and read the obituary. Died Dec 31st 2015.

he was really helpful giving advice and stuff, dropped round to see him a few times… sad.

Xylene
    Free Member

Shame – got some bearings off him, one of my old ones got stuck leaving the races behind, posted on here, he told me to send him the whole frame and he would sort out all the bearings as he liked a challenge.

Forgot to return the ones I bought so he fitted more, and didn’t want me to return the ones I still had.

Can’t fault that.

The net brings out the madness in us all.

bigjim

Yeah that’s him, recognise him from the Pentlands trail repair day.

That’s a shame, I think he was a genuinely nice helpful person, though I don’t think it would be unfair to say a tad eccentric, and it would seem increasingly so recently.

jamj1974

We are a community here and like other communities maybe we should commemorate our late members? Perhaps a sticky for a couple of weeks so people can pay their respects and maybe even where their friends and families can see that other people care about their loved one?

emac65
    Free Member

Very sad news, RIP.
    Had bought bearings off him for many years, top bloke

Drac

I’m closing this thread as its not really a true respect to him, he was very helpful and his bearings superb, please feel free to create a more appropriate thread.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘No more Katec?’ is closed to new replies.