Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • No-longer-tubeless tyres
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I wrote off a nearly new set of Maxxis tyres in the Lakes last week. Hit something on the Castle Crag descent that blew though both front and rear tyre in the same way – too big a gash in the tread to seal, and a 5 mm cut right next to the bead.

I’ve never repaired a bead cut like that – I’m can’t see any way it would hold. Assume they’re just a write-off for tubeless use? (anyone want them?)

kiwijohn

A bit of rubber band has worked for me before.

This one I just pushed through, but on the CX it needed a knot in it to stop coming out at higher pressure. Both still tubeless.

amedias
    Free Member

Those sqiggly worm tyre plugs are surprisingly good for holes that are right near the bead.

For gashes further up the sidewall I stitch with dental floss, liberal coating of glue on both sides over the floss and let it dry, then patch the inside with a proper patch, never failed yet. If it’s in the tread this may still be a possibility?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve gave up on castle crag for that reason, it’s too straight and wide to do anything other than go flat out, which results in me generally ripping a rear tyre.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Those sqiggly worm tyre plugs are surprisingly good for holes that are right near the bead.

I thought those would cause problems by holding the bead away from the rim?

Northwind

Standard glue patch on the inside? Doesn’t work with really long cuts, it’ll open up but worth a try here (and reversible if it doesn’t, you can just peel it off)

radrob
    Free Member

Yea as northwind said patch on inside cud work. I run tubes so mite work on mine. Defo worth a try tho

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I thought those would cause problems by holding the bead away from the rim?

Pfft. One be of three tyres currently in service with the same repair.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘No-longer-tubeless tyres’ is closed to new replies.