Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 181 total)
  • No helmet. The urge was strong.
  • dasnut
    Free Member

is this a new niche?

no-helmet niche?
    no skills, no helmet?

wtf? If you do not want to wear a helmet, don't bother me with it.
    Is it really worth a discussion?

hmmm what colour pants should I wear? maybe go commando? lets ask stw……

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Actually, on my last 2 rides there have been crashes with heads involved, the STW ride on Sunday, and a kid (helmetless) for which it probably ended with a trip to casualty at Swinley.

I reckon there must be an intermediate temp at which helmets are uncomfortable, as on the STW ride in 27deg heat it was fine, but at Swinley on Friday it was unbearable on the climbs. must be the perspiration evaporating quicker making it more comfortable despite the heat.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Why would be forced to stop? Easy to put it back on while riding.

Because I'm out of shape and take any excuse to stop at the moment? 🙂

juan
    Free Member

What I love on these thread is people from great britain removing the helmet because it's TOO **** HOT….
    Don't make me laugh people please…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Usually don't get drawn into these but there is something strange about not wearing a helmet makes me feel like a kid again but it also stops me from doing things that are a bit silly due to the extra PERCEIVED risk. If I want to try something that I think is a bit dodgy I will wear my full face and knee pads. I might make tomorrow mornings ride a gentle pootle with no helmet, it certainly makes the hair look a bit more acceptable if going directly to work where there are no showers.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Was chatting to the ranger at my local forest at the weekend on this very subject.

During the last week he's had to deal with a sans helmet over the bars gashed head to the bone incident, and another where a guy has hit his head so hard that the resultant swelling could lead to the loss of an eye.

The simple fact is that no one gets up in the morning and decides that todays the day to have a severe stack, any more than you can decide to get up and not have one.

Simple principle is that wearing a helmet will not kill you (regardless of TJ's arguments to the contrary), not wearing one might. No brainer IMHO.

Drac

Because I'm out of shape and take any excuse to stop at the moment?

Well errrm, you see I'm way unfit still and yeah I just kind of say "I'm knackered". I still do distance though but hills are killing me, slowly getting there and to be fair they were good size hills on Saturday. Not as good as French Cols though and it wasn't as hot as France too but you know what I love Northumberland me.

elaineanne
    Free Member

ok 'here' 'here' ….Reguardless of the 'heat'….. ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET …IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE !
    end of discussion i think…

Drac

Make your own decisions based on risks and circumstances.

juan
    Free Member

Well if people think they are going to be hotter with a helmet… Well they are deluded.
    Try riding in the blazing sun of midday in Nice when the tarmac melts, and you'll be begging for a helmet.

aP
    Free Member

I think I can safely say that there's no circumstances on earth that'll ever have me begging for your helmet juan.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Confession 1. I have just spent two and a half days at afan/glyncorrwyg. 😳 I saw lots of people with their helmets off on the climbs including the wiggly/wobbly bits.

Confession 2. I did the Twrch trail at Cwmcarn on the way home today and I was so hot, knackered and possibly a little bit hungover that I had an OTB going up the very first section. 😳 I am glad I had my helmet on.

Waderider
    Free Member

I've had to tie a t-shirt round a head to hold scalp onto a very visible skull when a mountain biker head butted a rock on a land rover track. It was a life changing event for this guy. I wear a helmet, I'll take the risk with rotational injuries thanks.

And my wife was a nurse on a neurological ward until recently – head injuries don't need to be fatal to ruin your life. Out on your bike today, never sleeping sitting up in bed eating your own excrement the next week. I have it from a reliable source. I have other stories, used to get them every day after her shift.

This thread demonstrates a facet of natural selection in action.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oh look – the usual hysterical holier than thou crowd arrive!

"wear a helmet or you will surely die" Even if all you are doing is pootling along an old railway line. When the odds are millions to one than I will accept that risk.

Do you wear a helmet when you are walking? Running? Driving?

elaine anne – Member

ok 'here' 'here' ….Reguardless of the 'heat'….. ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET …IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE !
    end of discussion i think…

Does that include walking to the shops?

Drac

Well if people think they are going to be hotter with a helmet… Well they are deluded.

Or you realise that there not very good at getting rid of heat. Try wearing a Balaclava next time there's a heat wave in France. I do wish I had my buff with me know to take the heat of my now exposed head.

crikey
    Free Member

TJ, relax fella, there is simply no way of convincing these people; the discussion has much in common with those about religion…

Some people are absolutely, utterly convinced that a inch of polystyrene will save their lives, and there is no way to change that mindset.

Again, though, I am impressed by the sheer bravery of those who would expose themselves to life changing head injury in the name of sport with only a polystyrene hat for protection…

…and as for neuro nurses, ask her what the major contributory factor was to the accidental head injury she saw; I'll bet a large sum of money it wasn't cycling; more likely to be alcohol or driving, so why don't we wear helmets when going out for a drink or when we get in the car?

Yes, a helmet will save you from minor injuries, and it's really not that hard to 'gash your head to the bone' given the thinness of the skin there, but save you from a proper life threatening head injury? Give over.

Please continue; there have been far less 'a helmet saved my life' contributions than usual on this thread.

GW
    Free Member

Try riding in the blazing sun of midday in Nice when the tarmac melts, and you'll be begging for a helmet.

I have done exactly that with no helmet and didn't want one. are you bald or something?

juan
    Free Member

GW not bald not, but a helmet provie a nice cover from the sun and keeps your head well chilled once dipped in water.
    I have just broke one by otbing a few days ago. And i don't care waht TJ says, the helmet did save me from some injuries.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Simple question for TJ and the like

Given your views why wear a helmet at all?

Comments such as these are self evidently contradictory to your views so why do it?

1) Helmet free ride on saturday – a deliberately chosen route of minimal gnar and speed
    2) If I want to try something that I think is a bit dodgy I will wear my full face and knee pads
    3) I ditched mine altogether yesterday, I went out at a stupid time, the trails were extra busy with walkers etc, so I just had a nice pootle instead of a mad thrash
    4) I put it back on for most descents, honestly on the climbs it wasn't worth it but thanks so much for your concern.

I am wholly impressed by the superior zenlike ability to decide when you are going to fall, and most of all your ability to argue how ineffectual they are but then how you decide you must wear them when doing something "dangerous". Presumably you deploy the same arguments regarding PPE at work, the wearing of seatbelts, or helmets on motorbikes, or driving on the wrong side of the road, ad infinitum, rejecting all of those as unnecessary infringements of you civil liberties as well?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Now while I personally regard anyone who rides off-road without a helmet as having rather suspect logic it does differ from most of those other examples given in not being illegal currently!

Waderider
    Free Member

BB, don't directly debate with the forum hot heads!

It's the law……..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Can I just answer – then I'll shut up……

BB – its about rational risk assessment – so some rides the risks are low – in the millions to one – of having a serious accident. That is a risk I am prepared to take.

Some rides the risks are higher – then I wear one as a helmet is good protection from minor injuries and probably mitigates major.

Crikey – you are right.

crikey
    Free Member

Against my better judgement, because I know I won't change your opinion,

I am wholly impressed by the superior zenlike ability to decide when you are going to fall, and most of all your ability to argue how ineffectual they are but then how you decide you must wear them when doing something "dangerous". Presumably you deploy the same arguments regarding PPE at work, the wearing of seatbelts, or helmets on motorbikes, or driving on the wrong side of the road, ad infinitum, rejecting all of those as unnecessary infringements of you civil liberties as well?

PPE at work has a reasonable evidence base.
    Seatbelt effectiveness has a reasonable evidence base.
    Helmets on motorbikes has a reasonable evidence base.
    Driving on the wrong side of the road has a reasonable evidence base.

Cycle helmets don't.

…and I'm old enough to have ridden a bike when cycle helmets weren't even invented, other than the leather 'hairnet' style ones.

…and given that the majority of cyclists wear helmets these days, where is the evidence that the number of head injuries has fallen?

Everyone is sooooooooooooooo sure, so 100% sure about the effectiveness of helmets, and they are equally sure that to ride without one is mad and dangerous, so why is there no definitive evidence that they work?

As above, I'm not interested in trying to convince anyone, but try to think things through and you will begin to see that the popular opinion of cycling helmets is largely a myth.

…and, think about the lack of litigation in the most litigious nation on earth with regard to injuries suffered by helmet wearing cyclists…No-one sues helmet manufacturers when they fail, because there is no case to answer; they don't protect against any serious head injury, never have, never will because they are not designed to…

I wear one, but I don't believe in any magical powers; I wear it to make my riding buddies feel better.

nockmeister
    Free Member

I wear one, but I don't believe in any magical powers; I wear it to make my riding buddies feel better

riiiiight..if your that sure they didn't do anything you wouldn't wear one at all…don't spout bollox..
    As for all the comments about the helmet evangalicals, lets not forget there are kids on here which might be influenced by the TJ 'i'll make my own decisions, i'm an adult…blah blah. for the little inconvenience a helmet worn is, it might save ur head from a visit to the hospital

busydog
    Free Member

I used to do the occasional ride without a helmet, but a couple years ago came across an accident where a teenager was riding without a helmet on relatively easy/flat trail. Going around a sharp U-turn at slow speed, she fell inwards and impaled her upper left skull on a rock that was embedded alongside the trail. When I got there, they had her on a stretcher, with a bloody bandage the size of half a soccer ball on her head. The paramedic said she would be lucky if she didn't have permanent damage as the rock had penetrated about 1/2 inch through her skull. Got my attention—have never ridden without a helmet since.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Cycle helmets don't

Says whom?…. evidence please?

so why is there no definitive evidence that they work?

As I've said to TJ many times previously. You cannot argue a negative. i.e. prove to me that by not wearing a helmet that you would have been injured. How about you prove to me that they don't work? Surely you must have a great long list of people who have been killed or seriously injured by a head injury whilst wearing one, that data should be very easy to compile.

…and, think about the lack of litigation in the most litigious nation on earth with regard to injuries suffered by helmet wearing cyclists

Utter cods! Go sell that one to the FC who are currently busily trying to protect themselves from litigation left right and centre.

Like I said, anecdotally, I was talking to my local forest ranger at the weekend…..

and because I do so regularly I don't need evidence, I see it contantly. However, I am willing to be swayed by the deployment of yours/TJ's. Persuade me of the folly of my ways, feel free, but please try to avoid self evidently ridiculous statements like the above. Its not really worth the discussion when you do that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do not believe I just read this

nockmeister – Member

lets not forget there are kids on here which might be influenced by the TJ 'i'll make my own decisions, i'm an adult…blah blah.

Drac

Ok bb I'll answer too. I wear one for protection it might only be a little but it's some. I choose when to wear based on risk that yes can be easily assesed. To use your metaphor the same way I risk asses at work way up the potential hazards. I don't claim to see the future but it don't take a genuis to work out riding up a fire road or glass sloped hill poses very little risk.

Above all I choose not to wear one when I want because I have that freedom of choice.

BermBandit
    Free Member

And your point is TJ? Its a fair and valid point. Not no 1 in the argument, but fair and valid.

Waderider
    Free Member

Can I just answer – then I'll shut up……

Perhaps a previous head injury suffered by this poster causes them to be unable to follow their own suggestion?

I've got it! All the folk who argue badly* that wearing helmets automatically for each ride is stupid were dropped on their heads as children. That would explain everything!

*Because "I don't want to" is a fair comment but some of the above posts are pure nonsense……

And the fact the anti-helmet proponents seem to be nearer the grave than other commentards says something I reckon. Grumpy old men, stuck in their ways…..

And what about this. Are we ever safe?!

Species most often reported in Britain to be susceptible to summer branch drop.
    Quercus spp.
    Populus spp.
    Salix spp.
    Ulmus procera
    Castanea sativa
    Fagus sylvatica
    Fraxinus excelsior
    Aesculus hippocastanum

😯

crikey
    Free Member

Meh, as I said, it's like religion and there is so little give on either side that it's pointless.
    My position is that I don't believe that helmets will protect you from a serious head injury.
    There is statistical evidence out there, but there is little point in asking people to look; you have made a decision and that's what you believe…

Notice that I don't use abuse or suggest that your point of view is 'ridiculous', or talk about the 'folly' of your ways….

Light reading; http://cyclehelmets.org/

I see people with serious head injuries as part of my job, and I've never thought that helmets would make much difference to the vast majority that I see…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Berm Bandit – Member

And your point is TJ? Its a fair and valid point. Not no 1 in the argument, but fair and valid.
    You seriously think I should change my behaviour because of what some strangers children might think? Weird

Diane
    Free Member

Did a bit of DH mincing recently. Invested in a ff helmet – thought it was a bit of an overkill. However did have a head/tree interface – the protection was awesome – didn't feel a thing so justified i think 🙂

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Crikey what a dick

funkynick

I just don't understand the evangelical zeal with which some people are taken with helmet wearing… to the extent that people who don't wear helmets deserve what they get, or they'd refuse to even help someone who had an accident and wasn't wearing a helmet. There are the same sort of voices in the climbing community as well, and I just don't understand them either…

Why does it matter so much what other people do when out on a bike?

Anyway, surely it's more dangerous to ride full speed down a black route at a trail centre with a helmet, than pootle around a local route without one. Why is the risk of the first acceptable, but the second not?

epicsteve
    Free Member

You seriously think I should change my behaviour because of what some strangers children might think? Weird

I wouldn't think it necessary. They'd just have to read some of your posts on here and assume you'd fallen and hit your head at some point. 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

zenlike ability to decide when you are going to fall

I don't at all. But quite clearly a proportion of the riding I do has a risk level roughly similar to walking. If you wear the same protective equipment for riding down a rocky path on the edge of a cliff at 25mph as you do for riding along a flat canal towpath at 10mph then you're probably either over or under protected for one of those activities.

And if you're at serious risk of death when riding along a canal towpath there's something to be said for your elimination from the gene-pool on grounds of gross incompetence. "Better drowned than duffers. If not duffers, won't drown."

This doesn't apply to children, who are allowed to fall off slow-moving bicycles on flat surfaces for no reason, and commonly do. 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

I reckon the canal towpath is one of the more dangerous places I ride, given the unpredictable nature of the other traffic.

BigDummy
    Free Member

the canal towpath is one of the more dangerous places I ride

It does sound like you probably need a helmet then. At a minimum. Possibly also kneepads and a life-jacket, but it'd be a shame if this was made compulsory. 🙂

juan
    Free Member

BB – its about rational risk assessment – so some rides the risks are low – in the millions to one – of having a serious accident. That is a risk I am prepared to take.

I just don't understand the evangelical zeal with which some people are taken with helmet wearing… to the extent that people who don't wear helmets deserve what they get, or they'd refuse to even help someone who had an accident and wasn't wearing a helmet. There are the same sort of voices in the climbing community as well, and I just don't understand them either…

Well it comes with the fact that you may take the risks, but we all pay for it. No one can pretend not to fall on a ride specially not TJ (who is probably a poor rider, as he's slower than I am… And I am average less).
    Now some people know things better than everyone else, which is very easy when other people pays for your mistakes.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘No helmet. The urge was strong.’ is closed to new replies.