• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hh45.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • No fridge/freezer, what food?
  • chvck
    Free Member

Fridge Freezer died last night (typically just before the bloody 4 day weekend!) and the new one isn’t coming till Thursday. I need inspiration on food and meals that we can make considering that we can’t keep anything chilled or frozen and don’t really want to buy new stuff every day as I can’t afford that!

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

could buy some veg and have veg pasta/curry?

Conqueror
    Free Member

veg
    pasta
    rice
    gherkins and pickled onions 🙂
    meat that you cook immediately
    tinned soup
    bread

cinnamon_girl

Could you not borrow/buy an electric cool box that can be plugged into the mains?

Not huge but at least you could put milk, butter, beer in there!

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

For milk you could try UHT long life. It doesn’t taste great but it’s only for 4 days.

j_me
    Free Member

Chorizo ?

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Bread
    eggs
    beans
    Jacket spuds

martymac

pot noodles and super lager.

plodtv
    Free Member

pint of proper milk in a thermos to make it through the day?

Del

bucket of cold water in a shady spot and sealed food stuffs. will keep milk and stuff plenty cool enough.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

take away curry’n’pizza

MrOvershoot

Well assuming you had stuff in there, eat that first (OK there might be some strange combos but look on it as a culinary adventure)
    Do you have any neighbours who could keep stuff for you till the new one arrives?

chvck
    Free Member

Cheers all, some good suggestions that I hadn’t thought of there. The bucket idea is certainly a good one. We didn’t have too much stuff in the fridge so that’s not so bad and the frozen stuff I drove over to a mates so it’ll fine and if I really want any of it I can go get it.

I think I’m going to eat lots of veg risotto and make pasta/curry sauces. On that note, anyone have any good recipes with lentils in?

hh45
    Free Member

depending on how hot your house is you should be fine. lots of stuff most of us keep in the fridge is fine out and if you have shops nearby then just buy stuff more often. In a large town there will be grocers and green grocers open thoughout the weekend and bank holidays.

Make dhall – fry spices on big heat, reduce heat and fry onion, add garlic, then add red lentils and cover in water and simmmer for 25-30 mins, adding water if need be. I add carrots and courgettes etc sometimes to bulk it up a bit. serve with a squeeze of lemon juice. go to bed and peg down the duvet.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘No fridge/freezer, what food?’ is closed to new replies.