Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • No Extension completion certificates on Repo??? HELP
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all.

I am in the process of buying a repo and am due to exchange contracts on friday but my solicitors enquries have come back with some bits I need help with.

The house has had two extensions(ground floor in 1993 and then first floor in 2003) and a conservatory in 2006 added to it.

As it is being sold by an asset management company they have no access to the completion certificates etc for the extensions and conservatory?/

Ho do I go about getting hold of these for when I come to sell the house?

Also there is a garage en block with the property. There is meant to be access from the back gate of the garden to the back of the garage via a wlakway but in the title deeds it shows that I only have access to the alleyway for the width of the property and no more which means I cant use the rest of the walkway to access the garage?

The Solicitor is trying to put in place an indemnity insurance to cover both things ?? is this right?

Any ideas??

Thanks

Tiboy

can’t help with specifics, but insurance was what was recommended by our solicitor when we were looking at buying a property which had a right of way through the rear garden for the next door garden, except previous owner had built an extension over the marked ROW.. 😯

I guess your danger is that without ROW you have no guaranteed access to the garage which could be a pain if owner decides to change things about?

renton
    Free Member

Thanks

We can get to the garage by going round the block of houses to where you would drive into the block of garages so thats not an issue.

I would prefer to be able to use the back door of the garage to wheel bikes in etc.

sandwicheater

Yep, you need a legal indemnity policy.

[Shameless plug/] If you struggle I own a small insurance brokers and could arrange. PM me if solicitor is being slow/can’t arrange. [Shameless plug]

renton
    Free Member

Cheers sanwich eater.

What sort of price are they just out of interest as I am going to have to pay for it as the asset comapny are refusing!!

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Phone the local authority building control dept for information on what applications were submitted, inspections carried out.
    We send Completion Certs to anyone who asks for them, some LAs charge for them.
    If the vendor claims not to be able to access them I’d be concerned as to if there are any.

renton
    Free Member

I think the issue is because its a repo and they want shot of it quickly.

If i contact the council will the invalidate any indemnity insurance I put it place?

midlifecrashes

Unless your mortgage provider is insisting on these bits of paper, I wouldn’t worry about them. Unlikely to get any useful guarantee on building work that old, though you might be lucky if it was a national conservatory installer. Then it’s down to your buyer when you come to sell, whether they should get an indemnity insurance. In theory it’s a good idea to have building work signed off as done correctly, but years down the line, it’s only benefiting the lawyers and insurance trade.

sandwicheater

What sort of price are they just out of interest

Price is based on the re-build of the home. As an example, the last one I did was for a friend. Attic conversion and an extension out the back with no planning. £300,000 rebuild and was £198. That’s not per year, just a one off while you own the home.

crankboy
    Free Member

I can’t get my head round an indemnity insurance policy for a right of way that does not exist . When and in what circumstances will it pay up and how much.
    I assume you are happy to go the long way to the garage if necessary .

andylaightscat
    Free Member

how would Insurance co know if you’d phoned the LA to void policy?
    for the sake of a phone call you could save yourself a lot of trouble.
    Would an indemnity pay out for all three parts that may need demolition/rebuilding if they have had no inspections? when you find that your purchaser is a bit more thorough if/when you sell

trail_rat
    Free Member

you sure the deeds dont state your responsible for the bit of the walk way the width of your property ?

otherwise you – and your neighbours might as well fence off the walk way and incorporate it into your garden as its no more a useful walkway than it is a toilet.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

It has sort of put my mind at rest, hopefully the solicitor can get an indemnity policy for the lack of paperwork for the extensions and also for the right of way over the alley way at the back of the garden to the garage.

See pic for what I am trying to describe…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘No Extension completion certificates on Repo??? HELP’ is closed to new replies.