Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • no building completion certificate for my 1994 extention? what next?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

want to move house and cant seem to find the building control certificate for our extention that was done in 1994.wrote to the council and they dont have one in there records? 😯 so;
    1) how did it get signed off/completed in 1994?
    2)how can i get one now?
    3)is this likely to cost a fortune?

i have rung them but the people i need are not there today.

ads-b
    Free Member

Cant answer your questions directly. But do know you can pay for insurance to cover an extension without BC approval. Did on mine and was very cheap (maybe £50-100).

odannyboy
    Free Member

but i need it to move house….

ebygomm
    Free Member

Did it get signed off/completed? Plenty of extensions don't.

ads-b
    Free Member

you need it to sell. just pay for the insurance for the buyer. thats what happened on mine. the extension was built in the 80s and no record of BC approval. So the seller paid for the insurance for me as part of the negotiations. Solicitor sorted it all out.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

indemnity insurance IIRC.

odannyboy
    Free Member

its possible it never got signed off.
    if so is it impossible for it to now get signed off?

Chase
    Free Member

There is an option on B Regs (Building Notice) forms for a 'whoops I forgot to get building regs on my extension' whereby they will inspect what you have had done. I think it costs more than an upfront application would have done though.

ebygomm has a point. A lot don't get signed off usually down to some silly little condition that gets swept under the carpet and forgotten about.

ebygomm
    Free Member

The possible problem of trying to get it signed off now is it'll have to meet current regs not 1994 regs

wwaswas

as above;

buy the indemnity for the purchaser.

any inspection done now will be based on current regs and you won;t pass.

Jason
    Free Member

We had to get the seller of the place we bought to buy indemnity insurance to cover various bits of work that had been done on the house over the years. From memory I don't think it was that expensive.

Eccles
    Free Member

DO NOT contact the council about this. Make any further approaches and you may not be able to get cover. If they call back pretend they have the wrong number 😉

A policy will cost from £50ish if the house is £125,000, £500ish if the house is £2.5 million. Not a biggie.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

My parents just told me that the extension they did hasn't got building regs approval so I'll need to get indemnity insurance when they die and I want to sell – they paid a manager to look after everything who ended up ripping them off.

When I sold my last house was told I needed to get indemnity insurance to cover the fact that my garden might be contaminated as there used to be a battery factory nearby. As no neighbours had heard of there being a potential problem and the factory had been replaced by nice flats I said no thanks so the buyer paid the £600 in the end.

I also didn't have a certificate for my extension on the house as the council sent it to the architect who then didn't send to me and I forgot about it. The council sent me a nice letter saying all OK and that was that.

northshoreniall

As above, sold my house which turns out had no cert for an extension. I only had house 4 year so contacted my conveyancers from when bought it and made them pay as they missed it out when I bought. Either way the relatively cheap insurance should suffice.

therealhoops
    Free Member

Indemnity is the way forward. Conveyancers will sort it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

What I'm confused by is what the insurance covers – if you didn't get building regs/planning permission then effectively the council can ask you to return it to old state, or change it to suit new regs, does the insurance cover that work? If so, isn't it easier to build a garage and then get it insured in case anyoen finds out?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘no building completion certificate for my 1994 extention? what next?’ is closed to new replies.