Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Niner SIR 9/Solaris – anyone ridden both and care to compare?
  • honourablegeorge

Have a chance to get a SIR9 cheap, with forks, for what a Solaris would cost.

The SIR9 isn’t green unfortunately, but I can run it singlespeed.

Is the Solaris a better frame?

letmetalktomark

Define better?

Would you looking to run both rigid?

SIR9 is a conventional headset isn’t it? Solaris requires a “different” headset so potential a few £ more again.

Cotic have a very good reputation and are a really nice bunch to deal with.

Doesn’t really help does it 😡

honourablegeorge

Would be buying a headset either way, so that’s not really a factor.

Not sure on rigid – maybe not long run, but no harm to get started that way while I save for forks. The 29er wheels I have are QR only, though, so a decent suspension fork will need a new hub too – all that expense counts against the Solaris somewhat – as does the the lack of SS capability (not a fan of the Simple colour scheme at all)

I have two Cotics, would be happy with a third – am drawn to the Solaris for that reason, despite the shortcomings above.

I suppose by “better” I mean more “fun” in the way that the Soul is. I want a light, springy, simple bike for trail centres and the like.

fenboy

i’ve a niner sir 9 and a soul so not quite a solaris. but maybe relevant to your soul comment. I run my niner rigid and it certainly is light, springy and simple also feels very stable at speed and is really nice to ride. trail centres with it being rigid I find after a while the battering you get from braking bumps becomes wearing. So if you’re thinking of using it for that def get a sus fork too. Rigid suits the other riding i do. Its more supple than the soul definitely but that might be to do with the wheels too?

I think the niner is a more traditional bike (unless you’re talking about the new version) than the solaris which according to reports is like a big wheeled soul but never the less can handle any normal mountainbiking activities really well. So depends what you want it for. I love the niner and would have no desire to swap it for a solaris at all. If i wanted something more gung ho and fun i’d get a full suspension 29er which is what i’m doing! but i’ll be keeping the niner

not sure if that helps or not.

tang
    Free Member

I have a niner mcr and its very very comfortable, quite lively and light out the back(compared to the swift I had which felt a good deal heavier out back). This was what I wanted from a steel ht 29r frame. I had a soul for a few years and that was great and if cotic had got their 29r act together earlier I would have gone for one.
    The Niner is fantastic and light and the closest to the 29r soul I was after, but worth UK rrp? I have my doubts(got mine 2nd hand). the new sir has a 44mm headtube and maxle rear dropout 4.8lbs. Solaris4.6 but no ebb! If money was no consideration I’d go for the sir.

honourablegeorge

SIR working out cheaper than Solaris for me

Clink

SIR working out cheaper than Solaris for me

2nd hand or a deal?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Niner SIR 9/Solaris – anyone ridden both and care to compare?’ is closed to new replies.