• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mos.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Niner Air 9 or On-One Lurcher?
  • pompeydave
    Free Member

Afternoon!

New to the STW forum so bear with me 😳 I’m thinking about getting a 29er.I like the Niner Air 9 but am tempted with the On One Lurcher.Does anyone have either and can persuade me which one to get please?

Dave

dblspeed
    Free Member

Assuming you are refferring to the Alu air 9 and not the air carbon I would choose the Lurcher because I own one and having ridden on a Scandal for the past 3 years and also tried alu bikes from Niner (one9 same as air9 but ss, and emd) I much prefer carbon. The Lurcher is an excellent frame but if you don’t need the SS option you could also look at the complete “discount” carbon 29ers from Rose, Cube, or the alu from Radon, Canyon etc (these 2 will offer carbon 29er HTs next year)

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve just gone for a Kinesis FF29 as I found the Niner sizing a little strange.

I’ll have it built up next week once all the bits arrive

druidh
    Free Member

steve_b77 – some photos of your FF29 would be appreciated 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

Where’d you get the FF29 steve_bb77? Tempted by one myself

steve_b77
    Free Member

Druid – once its built I’ll post some up

Greg – from Twelve 50 Bikes in Frodsham, I think I got one of the last medium matte grey ones in stock though

boneal
    Free Member

I’d recommend the Lurcher for several reasons: its cheaper; it has a higher bb; and the track end dropouts work great for singlespeeding as opposed to the ebb of the niner. I had the a9c and am running the lurcher currently. There is nothing I miss about the niner except the black and white color scheme.

I smashed the niner bb repeatedly and had creaking issues with the niner. The Lurcher is a great race AND trail bike!

dickie
    Free Member

Compare the Niner Air 9 Carbon to the Planet X Dirty Harry Carbon & I believe in geometry terms they are the same.
    The biggest difference is about £1000+ in favour of the Planet X.

mos

Are you getting a frame only or a full bike? I was looking at a similar choice but plumped for the On-One. I was changing my scandal for a Lurcher frame & it cost me a fortune in extra bits.
    New headset (lurcher is 1.5/1.125)
    New seatpost & collar
    New BB & cranks (my scandal had ISIS Middleburns with an uno ring, none of which worked)
    Still, it’s a lovely bike & i might even get time to ride it this weekend, then i will let you know what it’s like.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Niner Air 9 or On-One Lurcher?’ is closed to new replies.