Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Nikon D70 vs D40 vs D3000
  • Aus
    Free Member

Looking at these 3 bodies to use with a 18-200mm VR lens (unlikely to be using other lenses). All will be better cameras than my photography skills!

Have had a good go with a D70, and got some shots I was pleased with, but found the camera quite weighty / large, the LCD screen v small (difficult to see a pic and then make control adjustments to improve it) and the dual controls quite fiddly.

Anyone have experience with a D40 or 3000 – they seem smaller and possibly easier control navigation and a larger screen? Don't think I'm worried about the lens compatability limit with the D40.

Or any other thoughts to consider with the said lens?

Cheers

stumpy01

Isn't the D70 quite an old body now? I've got a D80 and have had that for quite a few yrs.
    The D40 is also a few yrs old now and was an entry level body at the time.

The D3000 is a newer body – being perhaps 12 months old, but I think that it requires lenses with an auto-focus motor for full functionality. Might be an issue, probably won't be.

I'd go for the D3000 if it was my money and limited to that choice.

IA

D40s can be had cheap these days I guess. My GF has one and I've used it a fair bit, nice camera. D3000 is the same but newer. Quite small for a DSLR.

Yes they can't drive AF lenses that need the body to drive them, but they are MORE compatible in some respects. You can use all old nikon manual lenses on them, even pre-Ai ones (which you can't on any other digital nikon without mods to the lens). Full manual only though, they won't meter.

If size is important, panasonic G1? Can be had cheap these days, and I love mine.

Though from that list I'd have the D3000. Or wait for the supposed replacement coming soon (see ww.nikonrumors.com )

Resin42
    Free Member

Really depends what you're after. I've had a D40 for a few years and although it has limitations it mainly does what I need it to do. If lens compatibility was likely to be an issue you'd have already decided on more camera. There's more than enough lenses out there that are compatible with it, some have auto focus issues though.

If you're planning on doing sports sequence shots it's worth bearing in mind that the D40 will only give you three shots back to back then it'll slow to a crawl.

Other than that, it's a tidy wee camera for the money.

GrahamS

Take it you are looking at 2nd hand here?

I'd definitely try to find a D80 over a D70.
    It has a better (bigger and brighter) viewfinder and a better screen.

Not sure why you found the dual controls fiddly. If you need to adjust two things (e.g. aperture and shutter speed) then it is a lot easier to have two dials you can operare without looking, rather than one dial and a menu.

But you're right it is a bigger camera to haul around.

If you are worried about weight and don't plan on swapping lenses then maybe you should also consider bridge cameras.

Aus
    Free Member

Thanks all … yep, 2nd hand is what I'll be looking at, so the D70 and D40 are a chunk cheaper than the D3000.

Have tried a 'bridge camera' and found, IMO, that the pics from a SLR were superior. But that said, if I can carry a relatively smaller / lighter SLR around, then that's a win!

Maybe the dual controls are good – and poss as it was new to me, that's why I struggled.

Is age something to be concerned about – an old good nick lightly used camera body should be OK, shouldn't it?

donald
    Free Member

I'd get the D40. Great little camera and as good pictures as the other two if not better.

Probably quite cheap now too.

GrahamS

Have tried a 'bridge camera' and found, IMO, that the pics from a SLR were superior.

Possibly true on the one you tried, but there is no inherent reason that a bridge camera with a decent lens and good size sensor can't take as nice pictures as an SLR. (i.e. there is nothing particularly 'magical' about the SLR part).

IA

If buying s/h I'd maybe say the D40 then. Nice camera and unlikely to disappoint, with the caveats above. Also buying s/h it's done most of its depreciation as it's an older model. So if you decide it's limiting you or you want something better you could sell on at minimal loss if you look after it.

Also it's fun to be able to try out old (cheap!) nikon fit lenses. E.g. you could pick up an old manual 50mm prime dirty cheap, nice to play with, then £3 on a reversing ring and you can have some macro fun. (i've done this, though I had the prime already)

stumpy01

My Bro-in-Law has a fairly old Canon D-SLR. Similar age to the D70 I think with a similar small LCD.
    It's starting to show it's age when compared to the speed of newer cameras. My D80 obliterates it, in terms of reaction times/image processing/buffering etc. but at the time, his was the mutts nuts. It still takes great pics to be fair, but just feels a bit sluggish.
    And the teeny screen is pretty lame.

2nd hand, I'd go for the D40 from your list (changed since first posted), although a friend of mine has one and I do find the lack of controls that are reachable by button presses to be frustratingly low. But, that's because I'm used to my camera. He can quickly access and adjust all the settings he needs.

How do the prices of D80's compare to the D40? I'd be tempted to step-up a notch and get one of those.
    It's a faster camera & easier to use (I find) due to all the buttons on it. It also will work as a master for wireless flashes and stuff, so if you wanna get creative in the future with wireless flahses, you can.

project
    Free Member

Got a D40 a few years ago fom Tesco of all places about 220 quid and money back from Nikon as well, fantastic camera , so easy to use and lightweight, does everything i want of it.

Hers some of the pictures taken with a 200mm zoom lens.

http://picasaweb.google.com/BIKEYPAUL/20100704LEEQUARRY4JULY2010SINGLETRACKWEEKENDER#

Christowkid
    Free Member

treated myself to a D40x a couple of Xmas's back.
    It's great, my first proper digital. Got the standard 18-whatever lens, and it's good.
    My wife's birthday treat to me was blowing up a picture I'd taken on holiday, taken on automatic setting, printed onto canvas and is 24"x20". It's just starting to loose the crisp edge, which gives it a soft focus effect. It's stunning! Very impressed the lens could produce such a good blowup.
    I also let my youngest go mad with it, put onto auto so it's point-and-shoot, and she's got some brilliant action shots of me and friends.
    Godd stuff!
    my tuppence
    Q

CountZero

Bridge cameras can be very convenient, with an excellent zoom range. The pic below I took without flash from around eight rows back at the Bristol Hippodrome, using a Nikon Coolpix 5700, 5Mp, 8x zoom, which I bought in 2003. It cost around £600 then, and a 1Gb CF card cost £200!

manitou
    Free Member

D70 user here..recognised as a better camera than the more expensive D200 a few years ago. Taken with my trusty D70.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Nikon D70 vs D40 vs D3000’ is closed to new replies.