Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 VR kit lenses – any good?
  • stevemorg2

I’ve just seen a very good deal on a D5100 packaged with these lenses. Ideally I wanted a D5100 with a 18-105 but am wondering:
    1. How good are they?
    2. What’s the resale value on them if I was sell them straight away and put the money to an 18-105 or something similar?

rwamartin
    Free Member

I think they are supposed to be quite good. Take a look at Ken Rockwell’s website Ken Rockwell He has a lot of lens reviews.
    My guess is they will not have a massive value as they are going to be quite common. A check of the going rates on ebay is probably worthwhile.
    Rich.

kayak23

Funnily enough I’ve just sold these exact two lenses in a Used condition. I got about 80 for the 55-200 and about 50 for the 18-55 if I recall.The 55-200 had lens fungus, diagnosed by Wex when i tried to part-ex which I was very clear about in the sale but it still sold.

They are really not brilliant lenses but great for that money. I traded them up as I wanted the apparently superior 16-85mm which I have now. I have also had the 18-105.
    All good kit-level lenses but not the best obviously.
    To be fair, I’ve not actually noticed a marked difference in image clarity with my 16-85 yet, which is bugging me to the point that I’m looking in to getting the focus tuning tested.
    Never seem to get really pin-sharp images.

Anyway, both those lenses are fine and can get some great results, and you shouldn’t have a problem selling them on either, or a part-ex with Wex photographic or similar.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

You never seem to get really pin sharp images right out of the camera, they all need a bit of post processing.

davosaurusrex

There was a D5100 with the 18-105 lens for sale in the classifieds last week

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think they are supposed to be quite good.

they will not have a massive value as they are going to be quite common.

I was about to say the same, apparently much better than the cannon equivelant. But still only negligable value as anyone who wants one (beginners) will have got one with the kit, and at some point will probably sell it to upgrade.

I got a pentax 18-55 and 50-200 kit. So can’t comment on the Nikon lenses themselves, but I do wish I’d got the 18-135 kit instead, and a another zoom or 200mm prime, or even ignored the zoom end and put the money towards a sigma 10-20mm for MTB’ing. Always feels like I’m using either 18mm, 55mm or 200mm, rarely the range inbetween, at least the 18-135 (or 18-105 in your case) would be more user friendly.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I got a great deal on a D5200 kit with these lenses last week – while I haven’t had too much time to play with them yet I,m quite impressed so far. The longer lens is probably a little bulky for biking – but then anything of this length is going to be. I know they’re both well regarded – and I’m looking forward to getting to use them soon.

rocketman
    Free Member

mrs rocket has both of these lenses on a D5100 and up to a few months ago I would’ve said the 18-55 is quite versatile and easy to use but the images are not exactly sparkling. The 200 has a useful zoom but again the images are good rather than outstanding

However…

…rocket jr has aquired a 27″ iMac with a 1440p display and compared to a 1080p display the same photos are astounding the detail and colours are incredible and they leap out of the screen.

So before you make a decision, think about how your are going to be viewing your pictures you may not be doing them justice

CountZero

Having lots of them around is very handy when you slip on wet rocks and land on the camera, wrecking the 18-55 kit lens.
    First day of holiday, too. 🙁 Fortunately found a replacement for $40 on ebay. A lot of lenses are very slightly ‘soft’, and need a tiny bit of unsharp mask to bring out the sparkle.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 VR kit lenses – any good?’ is closed to new replies.