Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Night Terrors – why?
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

Last Friday, for the first time in my life as far as I am aware, I sat up in the middle of the night and started shouting and waving my arms around. I quickly woke up and had a moment of not knowing what was going on. My wife was absolutely terrified as you can imagine.

Didn’t think much of it and saw the funny side of it. Sunday night however, the same thing happened again only this time I turned towards my wife and started swinging my arms like I was fighting something off. My wife woke me, terrified again.

And last night the same thing happened again. I can’t remember what I was dreaming about at the time of these night terrors but I’m a bit perplexed as to why all of a sudden these are happening now and so often in a small space of time. It’s not very nice and my wife is petrified.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Lifer
    Free Member

Do you sleep on your back?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I fall to sleep on my back but rarely wake in that position.

MSP

You done something really really bad that you are suppressing from your concious memory?

klumpy
    Free Member

I saw a program about something like this.

It was happening to some girl, along with dinner party urination, her head spinning round and round, and a tendency to vomit on priests then tell them that their mothers “cook socks in hell” or some such…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

You done something really really bad that you are suppressing from your concious memory?

I couldn’t possibly comment.

It was happening to some girl, along with dinner party urination, her head spinning round and round, and a tendency to vomit on priests then tell them that their mothers “cook socks in hell” or some such…

I saw that documentary as well.

nealglover
    Free Member

Aren’t they called “bad dreams” anymore ?

psling
    Free Member

Mmmm… might be worth having a read of this 😯

WackoAK
    Free Member

I couldn’t possibly comment.

You bought a 29er, just admit it to yourself.

user-removed
    Free Member

My stepdad did this – scared the daylights out of the whole household. He was always having the same dream, which involved a burgular in the house.

Further to psling’s link above (which I haven’t followed, so maybe already covered) there was a case a few years ago in which a bloke sleeping in a camper van murdered his wife during an episode, and got off with it…

EDIT; sorry, not very helpful…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I saw that documentary as well.

🙂

Just remember to lock all your crucifixes away of a night.

yossarian
    Free Member

night terrors and nightmares are different things

I think I’m right in saying that nightmares/bad dreams occur at the end of the sleeping pattern whereas terrors, particularly in kids occur when the person is in deep sleep which is somehow disturbed, either from a noise, a sharp rise in temperature or other factors.

Sodajim

Try ear plugs when you sleep.
    I have no medical knowledge of night terrors other than a documentary I saw where they worked out tiny sounds in the night set them off in the guy they were studding. Ear plugs pretty much cured him so it’s worth a shot for a couple of quid

konagirl
    Free Member

I’ve only slept-walked 3 times and of those, I was only having a ‘bad’ dream once when I woke up. I couldn’t remember the dream itself, but I would realise that I was somewhere I shouldn’t be (outside, having a shower, etc. rather than being in bed!) Each time for me has been associated with heavy drinking. Has anything changed recently in your diet or stress in your life? Drinking caffienated or alcoholic drinks before bed when you never used to?

Sleep walking or talking is pretty common so no need to worry about it. The fact that you’ve experienced probably the same (recurring) dream for a few nights isn’t something to worry about either, but it does suggest that there might be something on your mind that your brain is trying to work through. And your wife shouldn’t be afraid or panic. If she hears you moving / talking try and get her to reassure you that she is there, everything is ok and to go back to sleep. She might not need to wake you up.

yossarian
    Free Member

I turned towards my wife and started swinging my arms like I was fighting something

was she holding a pillow can you remember? recently got life insurance? just saying. 😈

MrsToast
    Free Member

Get a man in a dress to shout in Latin at you and splash you with water, that’ll fix it.

martinhutch

I have them on occasion – sometimes flailing around or annoying my wife by telling her some nonsense, but more often waking up with the unshakeable belief that I’m about to choke. It’s not the same as nightmares.

My understanding is that they can be related to stress. I also have very well-controlled temporal lobe epilepsy, and I’ve made the connection between an increase in terrors and periods when my epilepsy has been less well controlled.

D0NK

whereas terrors, particularly in kids occur when the person is in deep sleep which is somehow disturbed,

linky? I want to read up on it, lad is waking up crying occasionally dunno if that’s classed as terrors, not screaming or owt.

willard

Have you recently started eating a lot of cheese just before bed? That used to give me some really good dreams back in the day, but I had to stop when it made me feel knackered for work.

yossarian
    Free Member

Donk – this is the first link I found when it happened to my lad. He’s had 4 or 5 in total now, over perhaps a couple of years.

http://www.circlecity.co.uk/sleepdesk/nightterrors.php

samuri
    Free Member

Put a pair of bombers on your bedside table. These will instill confidence in yourself and give you a good nights sleep, or they will give you something to grab when you do wake up in a panic.

Either way, it’s going to make your wife’s life a lot more exciting.

RealMan
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcv1EhH7Xh0[/video]

Cobras?

D0NK

cheers.

boblo
    Free Member

yossarian – Member
    night terrors and nightmares are different things

I think I’m right in saying that nightmares/bad dreams occur at the end of the sleeping pattern whereas terrors, particularly in kids occur when the person is in deep sleep which is somehow disturbed, either from a noise, a sharp rise in temperature or other factors.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Sbollix I’m afraid.

Night terrors are when people have nightmares in America. Nothing more, nothing less.

As usual, the term has hopped over here and is now used in general parlance for ‘nightmare’.

HTH.

therealhoops
    Free Member

Try having a jar or twelve before bed? that’ll relax you. Failing that, go for a tactical wnak but remember to alternate hands.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Night terrors are when people have nightmares in America. Nothing more, nothing less.

As usual, the term has hopped over here and is now used in general parlance for ‘nightmare’.

Not according to the NHS: “Night terrors are very different from nightmares.”

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/night-terrors/Pages/Introduction.aspx

yossarian
    Free Member

HTH

not really cos u is rong 🙂

Mike_D
    Free Member

waking up with the unshakeable belief that I’m about to choke

Sounds like sleep paralysis — I’ve had that a few times, it’s pretty scary until you know what it is 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

My lad suffers from night terrors. It was quite frightening at first when we didn’t know what it was, but now we just let him get on with it.

No idea what the trigger is. He’ll do it every night for a week then stop for months.

boblo
    Free Member

Well…..if this is a recognised medical condition, why did it not exist say 30 years ago then? Go on, answer me that 🙂

All these things were called nightmares. We’ve just adopted American terminology and differentiated two things that used to be the same.

yossarian
    Free Member

Well…..if this is a recognised medical condition, why did it not exist say 30 years ago then? Go on, answer me that

because the advances in neurological science that now allow brain activity to be mapped weren’t available?

just a guess…

Harry_the_Spider

😆

Mike_D
    Free Member

All these things were called nightmares. We’ve just adopted American terminology and differentiated two things that used to be the same.

Or science has advanced to a point where two things previously thought to be the same have now been identified as being different.

Also, Americans have nightmares too.

rogg
    Free Member

just a guess…

but hopefully for the OP’s missus, not a wild stab in the dark.

jon1973
    Free Member

if this is a recognised medical condition, why did it not exist say 30 years ago then?

It did exist, it just wasn’t recognised.

martinhutch

Sounds like sleep paralysis — I’ve had that a few times, it’s pretty scary until you know what it is

Certainly similar, but I don’t get the sensation of being completely unable to move. More precisely, it’s the feeling that I’ve got an object in the back of my mouth that’s large enough to choke me if I swallow, but too far back to cough out*. I’ve now managed to train my brain to recognise this scenario and chide me into realising everything is OK after a minute or so.

*All filthy jokes gratefully accepted.

Sleep research is a relative newcomer in medicine. I think the first clinic dedicated to it didn’t open until the 70s.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Night Terrors – why?’ is closed to new replies.