Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • night riding alone – with a twist
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Growing up in RSA Dad aleays used to say, “dont worry, theres nothing out there at night that isn’t there during the day…
    Only now, its awake, and hungry….”
    😐

I always remember this when in Delamere on my own…

Pook

yeah teeto, those delamere badgers are vicious 😉

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Gary_C – Member

I can only enjoy riding the better stuff if I’ve got the back-up of someone to fetch the emergency services help me out of the stream when required.

I don’t know what you’re on about Gary…. Move along please, nothing to see here 😉

OCB
    Free Member

I like the night.
    The only thing that worries me out there is other people, I’d be pretty hyper if I was in a dark lonely car-park fiddling about near/with the truck/bike, but deep in the countryside would be fine … other than coming across bloomin’ poachers, or randomly getting shot at on some drunk young farmers evening out.

mrhoppy

Reading book about vampires before the 1st night ride thus year wasn’t the wisest move. It was ok whilst there were 2 of us but once I was on my own there was definitely something following me through the woods.

I did have a bat try and headbutt me going under the A49.

Dancake
    Free Member

I am a lot happier riding from my door. Rather that than get brained by the chavs up to no good in the car park

nsaints
    Free Member

Had another occasion night riding on my own – had a feeling of something running beside me…plucked up the courage to look to my side. it was a deer running parrallel with me a few yards away…breathed a sigh of relief

DickBarton

Do both – ride on my own straight from door or drive to somewhere and ride on my own…don’t talk to myself as I end up arguing!

EdwardH

I reckon three quarters of my riding is after the kids are in bed, so I am out in the dark quite a lot, mostly from my door and always on my own when from home. The times for the climbs are almost always faster than during the day, probably from the monsters chasing me.

There is a fast swoopy descent linking two woods above the town, just off the path is a large boulder – I caught sight of something out of the corner of my eye on the boulder one night. Turned out to be the bare buttocks of a teenager making his girlfriend happy. Well that was untill they got me shining a torch at them…….

takisawa2

I remember a solo night ride on the Chase a few years ago. It was well below freezing. Headed over past the rifle ranges, & stopped for a while. Total silence & an incredible clear sky. What struck me was the cold. It was like the whole place had been deep frozen. Nothing moved. Just totally still.

dadster21
    Free Member

I like the conundrum of being scared so want to go fast through the woods but hold back because I don’t want to end up damaged and all alone – does play on the mind – go faster or keep within limits. When I get back though – feel exhilarated.

Did one nightride through some woods – in the middle there was an eerie glow. Felt strangely attracted to it. The light was really bright. Turned out to be a guy catching moths on his own – we kinda freaked each other out!!!

chrisfixed
    Free Member

yeah, badgers are mean !! hit em all the time. . . . eat dirt . . . .then run, . . . seriously !! cos they’ll chase, bark, snarl, scratch and bite when really pissed off !! add to that, they carry TB, rabies and parasites . . . . nasty !!

busydog
    Free Member

Used to ride solo up in the mountains at night, but age and wisdom have prevailed I guess as I don’t anymore. The noises and imagined source of the noise always kept my adrenalin way up. Saw a lot of deer, coyotes, foxes, owls and the occasional badger or skunk or two, but surprisingly never saw a bear—at various times I was ready to swear I heard one crashing through the brush but always turned out to be deer or a stray cow–or more likely my imagination.

robsoctane
    Free Member

I bet not may riders riding alone take night time pictures of their bike leaning up against a signpost etc!

Photo challenge time? Yes Please!!! 🙂

I’ll go first! I love the dark, do get scared sometimes but that’s the fun of the dark I reckon. I always have been a kid at heart.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I start my commute at 5am and a mile in I go through a pathway with creepy woods on either side. Sometimes I love it (saw two badgers), but sometimes I do get creeped out, like when my lights picked up three sets of eyes! Turned out to be foxes, but got me twitching anyway.

As to the OP’s question, nope, I really don’t fancy parking the car in a deserted carpark and kitting up etc, but that is being a wuss for you.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I love solo night rides…

Non of my mates really grasped the night ride thing anyway and as I am often driving all over the country with my bike in the boot, I get plenty of opportunities. In fact I have one tonight in the Peaks!

Yes its scary but I bet I ride a whole lot slower in reality to get the same buzz I’d get in daylight.

Scariest time as riding down Stanage edge. Snow was still sticking about a bit in shaded areas and a whole pile had slumped over the track. I couldn’t walk / ride through it so I walked the edge “wall” instead, in the dark, in icy conditions carrying a bike. I Papped myself afterward when I realised how blooming stupid I’d just been.

Mass murderers hiding in bushes hasn’t crossed my mind much to be fair. Normally more scared of myself as I’m more of a danger to me than anyone.

racefaceec90

just wanted to add.i remember a ride i did in january back in 2003 on salisbury plain (near red horn hill).was about 6pm but it was dark.more than that though was the fog.it was so thick i could barely see 10 feet in front of me.then a barn owl flew right over my head.it was fantastic (and dream like 😀 good job the fog wasn’t glowing 😯 http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews30219.html

rocketman
    Free Member

What struck me was the cold. It was like the whole place had been deep frozen.

A bracing -14° on the Monday before Xmas last year

globalti
    Free Member

My brother and I were riding up from Glenelg to Suadarlan bothy one night after the pub, no lights and it was getting dark (mid summer). Near the brocks a couple of deer suddenly burst out of the undergrowth a few feet ahead of us, both of us nearly shat ourselves. Further up the road we blundered into a farmyard, much to the delight of the dog who lived there, so we made off pretty smartish. Further up the hill I was ahead, following the track by following ground that was slightly paler than the surrounding darkness when the paleness stopped. I stopped, switched on my head torch and discovered a massive ravine where heavy rain had taken the track away. I don’t know why we weren’t riding with at least head torches; stupid really.

I’m happy to night ride alone but am concerned about the possibility of an accident then lying freezing cold all night on the fells. Years ago an old boy was found lying half in the Irwell, he’d fallen down the bank, broken his arm and been unable to move so he lay there all night half in the water, freezing. Sad.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘night riding alone – with a twist’ is closed to new replies.