Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • night ride in the fog??
  • fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

going for a night ride tomorrow and its really foggy round here tonight looks like it might be the same tomorrow so anyone got any tips??

rolfharris
    Free Member

Don’t go if you don’t have to. I’ve driven over the Pennines from where I live to manchester in the fog and too often see cyclists up there too late. It’s a wonder that they survive. It’s an unneccesary risk to take.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

fog, at night, in the woods, solo – totally brilliant!

Keva
    Free Member

I rode early this morning in the dark & fog. I was surprised by how much I couldn’t see, lights didn’t help much either, just made the fog brighter!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m with 5spot – sounds like a hoot, un-necessary risks are what make the world go round, or at least what make it exciting! 🙂

Tips –
    Take a route you know. Or a GPS and a map.
    Take spare clothing in case you get stuck.
    Take some nibbles to see you through if you get stuck.
    Take a mobile.

heihei

from last couple of night rides in the fog, a big tip is bar mounted lights not helmet. mine ar helmet mounted and i was blinded at any sort of speed, whilst my mate has bar mounted and had much better viz. i suspect this is due to helmet mounted light being reflected straight back off the water molecules into your eyes as they are at the same level.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

good advice!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wonder if the bar-light would be better moved to the bottom of the fork stanchions. Interesting thoughts.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

night vision googles!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It’s an unneccesary risk to take.

that describes mountain biking itself :o) Fog is fun, in an I-can’t-see-where-I’m-going-properly way – just a different sort of challenge!

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I often ride in fog – but never on always off road

Switch off your head light and run your bar light at a lower setting if you can

The glare is just impossible to see with otherwise

Ive even switched them all off when its been that bad

pcb
    Free Member

I don’t see the big deal is to be honest.

Take the usual precautions let someone know where you are going etc.

I only run the light on the bars, way to much dazzle from the lid light.

Gary_M
    Free Member

what iamsporticus says, if you’ve got a helmet light on it’s like riding into a white wall.

Evesie
    Free Member

When I was rally mechaniching we used to cover the lower half of the spotlights, try this on the front of your bar mounted light. This cuts off the upper setion of the beam reducing the light reflected back at eye level – similar effect to a car fog light.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Night riding in fog is ace.

Gives the ‘things’ somewhere to hide as well!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘night ride in the fog??’ is closed to new replies.