Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Nigeria – safe to travel to
  • fishwife
    Free Member

hi

Few colleagues may be going to Nigeria for a week conference

Foreign & Commonwealth Office advice is a bit scary

Any one with recent experience

Cheers

organic355
    Free Member
    popstar
    Free Member

Very dodgy country IMO. I mean, they manage to dig through your rubbish bins for credit card details – utility bills here, can’t imagine through what wizardy you will be subjected down there. God bless you.

Do what you have to do work related, but anything outside of it try to avoid. A friend of mine has been offered a job there for Oil Company by representatives, needless to say it was just one of those scams. He didn’t fall for it though.

fishwife
    Free Member

cheers – glad its not me i get nervous when i go to leeds…

grumm
    Free Member

My girlfriend has been out there recently for work. If you are just going to Abuja you have very little to worry about. Lagos is a little more dodgy but still generally fine. She thought the advice was very over the top and never felt threatened or unsafe.

The Niger delta is the dangerous bit, going there at the moment is fairly dodgy.

edit: that article refers to the delta, not to Nigeria generally

grumm
    Free Member

So you listen to the replies from people who are basing their opinion on the media… 🙂

doglover
    Free Member

Guess like any city if you wonder off into the wrong part it could be dodgy. No doubt you’ll stick together. Would say go, why not ? All part of life’s rich tapestry and all that…

busydog
    Free Member

I am working with a client in Equatorial Guinea (W. Africa) and that part of the world isn’t the safest for several reasons: political unrest, health issues, etc. For example, this client won’t allow a family to come over if they have children due to the risk of Malaria. Their employees live on a secure compound and they only recommend going into the city in groups and during the daytime.They ship in fresh meats, fruits and vegatables due to the sanitary conditions in local markets.

I have traveled on business and worked in Somalia, Columbia, Saudi Arabia and Bangladesh and all are livable if you take the right precautions. One of the most important things to being in public in areas like that is to be always vigilant and always aware of what is going on around you—-and don’t walk about with your SLR digital camera hanging around your neck in plain sight.

duntstick
    Free Member

Jeez Busydog, confirms my earlier reservations when considering this post.

Easily attacked and slated, but our modern way of life puts us in a secure bubble, and travel to countries such as these still needs much consideration.

Good look to the OP.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Nigeria – safe to travel to’ is closed to new replies.