• This topic has 34 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by will.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Nick Craig
  • excitable1
    Free Member

After many (many) years of riding the Peaks and wondering ‘I wonder if I’ll ever bump into Nick Craig, I know he lives round here and I am following some of his suggested routes’… I finally did at the weekend.

What a thoroughly nice bloke. Took the time to speak to me, ask me who I was, took an interest in where I’d been riding, introduced me to his son and wished me well. And no kit comparisons either, just honesty and gratitude.

They say you should never meet your heroes… not in this case.

crikey
    Free Member

He’s a proper nice chap. I was out in the Peak, in the mist and the murk, carrying my cross bike up near Jacobs Ladder and thinking that I was doing an insane epic. Then out of the gloom, going twice as fast comes Nick with a big cheesey grin..

mtbmatt
    Free Member

He isn’t “the nicest man in mountain biking” for no reason you know! 🙂
    Top bloke and one hell of a rider – up and down!

mafu26
    Free Member

I second that.

I bumped into him and his son at the bottom of Alpe D’Huez last year at the tour and had a nice chat with them. Sounded like they were going on an awesome trip camping the whole way.

I’ve parked next to him at CX race too. Not intimidating at all. Only got lapped twice too! Haha.

Top bloke.

crikey
    Free Member

He’s one of those people for whom the epithet ‘Ambassador of the sport’ was invented.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

never met him, but follow him on Twitter, and seems a good guy. 🙂

excitable1
    Free Member

He’s one of those people for whom the epithet ‘Ambassador of the sport’ was invented.

Second that, well put.

sambob
    Free Member

Know the family pretty well, and they really are as nice as a family can get. Nick gave up a full day to be my assessor for GCSE PE mountain biking and asked for nothing in return, did give him a cake though 🙂 Tom’s getting silly quick, riding with him is fairly demoralising.
    Starring role in this little edit too.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCxn-gRVkCM&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Nice guy saw him alot in the hayday of XC mountaining biking.Very friendly like Tim Gould is to.Not like happy larry David Baker they were days. 😆

ampthill

I had a briedf chat before the world champs in Vail 94. He was getting ready and | cheekly shouted best of luck Nick. But he seemed really pleased to be recognised and wanted to chat. I thought get a mouthful he was getting ready for the bigest race of the year…

crossland
    Free Member

Nice little video, where was it shot? It looks like the UK but the sun is shining….

vegasdave
    Free Member

He was racing at our local XC race earlier in the year. Him and Dan Fleaman were head and shoulders above the rest….Also,a friend of mine bumped into him in the Peaks…took the opportunity of tapping him up for some advice on the forthcoming 3 Peaks Cyclo Cross race…She was well impressed.

aa
    Free Member

he is indeed a great guy, met him many times, he’s never too busy to have a friendly word. A true gent of the cycling world.

sambob
    Free Member

The riding is shot on the climb up from Hayfield to the Shooting cabins on Middle Moor, the other shots are from the area around the Shooting cabins. Top is up here

MoreCashThanDash

I met him at the cycle show a few years ago when it was still at Earls Court – the nicest pro sportsman I have ever met. I used to see him out riding when I was working up in the Peaks, and he was adamant I should give him a wave next time I saw him. Took time to get chatting about my job and family, he was a genuinely pleasant, down to earth and agreeable guy to meet.

And he can ride a bike quite well too.

grtdkad

Good film. Plenty of talent in the making there…

sambob
    Free Member

This is made by the same lad.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPJmLfgAVk4&feature=channel&list=UL[/video]

samuri
    Free Member

Nick is my claim to fame, I went to school with him.

I bumped into him at a 24 hour race many, many years later and reminded him who I was and that we had some mutual friends like crazy legs and Brant.

After a little bit of thought he said ‘Brant’s never mentioned you.’ which made me laugh.

Nice guy, yes.

Simon-E

Nick was more than happy to sign autographs immediately after finishing the senior race at National Trophy cyclo-cross at Shrewsbury in January.

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve spoken to him once at a race, really nice chap. I have him following me on twitter… I was well stoked with that. He’s a proper legend.

MrSparkle

I’ve always liked the fella. However he did once wee on Terrahawk on the IOM E2E.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Here’s Nick Craig on the final climb up to the finish line after his 2nd puncture in this years Isle of Man End2End and he still came in second place.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A2lKockCAAA1vCQ.jpg:large

Tom-B
    Free Member

That pic is full of epic!

akira

Used to take my twins to our trade show and Nick would volunteer to look after them in the pram while I took a test ride. Lovely guy, paid for pizzas when he did staff training.

br
    Free Member

and fit as f***

jonnyboy666
    Free Member

he straightened my tie for me just before the run at mountain mayhem this year 8)

top bloke

Speshpaul

Fixed my lads Scott at MM a few back and we only went in to the the Scott pits to get out of the rain:-)

That picture has a awsume amount of epic in it.

Thats awwwsume turned up to 11.

gk74

The nicest man in mountain biking was at a high school open night I attended tonight….not hard to spot the only one in the room with a bright yellow cycling jacket on….don’t think he was recognised by anyone apart from me. Every local community needs a Nick Craig!!

numplumz
    Free Member

Nice bloke and superbly skillfull rider.
    Love the way he also dosent milk the age category thing. Still races pro mountainbike and senior in Cross even though he could be winning everything in the Vets classes.

strike
    Free Member

Nick sorted out some problems I was having with my Genius rear shock, at MM24, a few years back. I asked his advice and he willingly said “I’ll come and fix it for you, right now” – even more amusing when then head of Scott UK told him he didn’t have time and not to get involved – Nick replied that he DID have time and then just ignored him!

Top bloke.

cqed
    Free Member

met him in the peaks.

i was standing at the base of a climb near hayfield, eating king size mars bar, pre-climb.

i asked him, “do you do much riding, then?”

only later found out who it was.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

That’s funny. My colleague, who is a fit club rider, with several years of finishing in the top 20 in the NW cross league, told me a story this morning of how he got lapped by Nick at a recent race. Apparently Nick asked him whether he wanted another lap, but he knew he was on to a beating, and politely declined. 😀

He is still trying to figure out how he he can produce that many watts !!

That pic is full of epic!

You’re not wrong.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I saw Nick Craig racing once, at Cheddar Challenge in the late 1990s. The trails were a sh!tfest as usual and where loads of elite riders were running down through Witches Wood, Nick was riding so fast he was hardly touching the trail. Almost as if he was hovering an inch above the trail – awesome to watch! 😀

elzorillo
    Free Member

Bumped into him a couple of times many many moons ago when it wasnt just odd but pretty much impossible to bump into another MTBr in the peaks.. Had a good chat to him and his pals. One of them fancied himself as a fearless downhiller and they offered us a race back down.. My crazy mate thrashed them and from then onwards would be known in the racing scene by them as the ‘howling descender’. ahaa memories….

will
    Free Member

That picture is quality!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Nick Craig’ is closed to new replies.