Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Niche too far from On One?
  • Leku
    Free Member

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOIN26RI/on-one-inbred-26-steel-rigid-mountain-bike

On One Inbred 26″ Steel Rigid Mountain Bike. Madness. It’ll never catch on..

14″ frame as well. Which could be handy for young’un.

wwaswas

they’re either a long, long way ahead of the curve or found a load of old frames in a corner of the warehouse 😉

lunge

Now, if only they’d offer that in singlespeed guise I may even be tempted to buy a new MTB.

simon_g

Blimey. I bought one of those (with full Deore, inc V-brakes) back in 2004.

wwaswas

it was probably about the same price then simon_g 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I seem to recall the last time they sold a bike just like that it cost me £400.

The price of progress, I suppose

40mpg
    wwaswas

https://web.archive.org/web/20040615085427/http://www.on-one.co.uk/

Way back machine from June 2004 – complete bikes (SS) £699 🙂

(in true On-one style they were knocking them out for £400 about 3 months later).

lunge

40mpg, if it was 3 sizes bigger and a complete build we may well have been having a conversation!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    they’re either a long, long way ahead of the curve or found a load of old frames in a corner of the warehouse

Should have painted them all black and put slicks on them……

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What da hell is Taechung Green?

simon_g

It was £400 in some off-season cashflow crisis sale.

Two mates also bought them at the same time, which had very different fates. One is still absolutely mint as it languished in the garage, barely ridden. One has spent most of the last decade as an all-weather commuter – the seatpost is firmly corroded in, but still chugging along.

woodster

I like it.

Would make an ace commuter/pub bike once it hits the sales.

Free swap to DL31 rims too and it is a solid spec.

What thief would nick a rigid 26er? Lovely.

garlic
    Free Member

What da hell is Taechung Green?

It’s when you ask the factory for RAL 6038 but they send you RAL 9005 instead.

alexpalacefan

What’s going on with that front mech cable?

APF

andyl
    Free Member

it looks like a direct mount front mech (with built in cable stop) and a direct mount adapter clamp jobby.

andyl
    Free Member

just looked again and noticed the stem! Must have a load of them to shift too so presumably everything else on there, like tyres etc, are stuff no one is buying.

I am guessing there is an excess of DM front mechs as everyone and his/her dog is going 1×10.

pickle
    Free Member

looks okay to me

scotroutes

It’s right there – at the bottom of the page!!
    Matt Black
    Taichung Green
    Pearl White

And, as the description says

RockShox 30 coil forks

[img]http://www.on-one.co.uk/imgs/products/oo/950_constW/CBOOIN26RI_P5.jpg[/img]

phiiiiil

I remember back in them days when every second bike at events was a white inbred of some sort. It was a sad day when on-one discovered the paint aisle in B&Q.

My 26″ white slidey dropout inbred is still in use on a regular basis, it’s ace.

jeffl

Bloody hell £600 with X5 chainset and Avid DB3 brakes! Seems way overpriced.

brianp
    Free Member

That Inbred will be a great bike.

Riders in this for the last 30 years, like I have, will know, that’s a solid bike. Steel double butted frame, zero maintenace fork, shimano servicable deore hubs with big ball bearings, steel freehub and strong stiff axles and quick releases. X5 works, cheap to replace if ever needed. It’ll be nimble and easy to throw around and will fit in the back of the car with the wheels on. To top it off, it needs a triple 24-32-42 and a lighter 11-32 casette.

In the last 30 years I’ve gone through rigid bikes (Diamon back Ascent Ex – Spec. Stumpjumper to all Titanium DNA frame and forks – to full suspension Marin Mount Vision (too heavy and slow uphill) to fat bikes (On One fatty) (loads of grip but to much tyre weight to spin uphill bike weight to lift over fences) back to all rigid On One 456 Carbon Evo with a carbon lurcher fork with Olympic rims on Deore hubs.

I love my Deore hubs. They spin so freely and are quiet compared to my Hopes. Fewer seals than the XT, so if you can be bothered to mainatain them you can coast really free. My rigid carbon bike is lighter than the Inbred for sure, but it speeds uphill and down like no ther bike I’ve owned. It’s much smoother than the same bike built in all titanium. It’a great all day ride (at 42 I wanted a higher front that the 456 carbon evo gives). I run Schwalbe Thunder Burts all year. They’re very light, fast and don’t hold mud, even in winter gloop. Best tyres ever made. At a given price point you can fill your boots with superlight world class 26″ wheelsets.

Really, if 29er’s came first, they’d be touting 26er’s as the next thing telling you they turn so fast, accelerate so well, nimble, you can make them in girl sizes, no tow overlaps, space for fat tyres…

Sure, they’re using old stock up…but it’s still a great honest bike. You could have alot of reliable fun on that steel Inbred for a good long while wether it’s day rides, epics or racked for a transcontinental.

Son of Brian.

You can take 26″ wheels, triples and cup and cone hubs from my cold dead hands…

bruceonabike
    Free Member

I have one in singlespeed guise, great bike for local winter rides. Though mine has Marzocchi forks that I’m planning to switch for rigids,

Northwind

It’ll be a perfectly decent bike but £600, really?

scotroutes

Only this week. Otherwise it won’t be a bargain next week 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I remember back in them days when every second bike at events was a white inbred of some sort

…and they all had the exact same headtube length regardless of frame size. Do they still do that?

squirrelking
    Free Member

My missus has that exact same frame, bought about 2009 for £150 IIRC.

I ended up riding it when I decided my DH tyres were no fun on a 4x track, great bike with Rebas so see no reason why it wouldn’t be with the rigids. At least it’ll be worth it if the price dropped a bit.

But Reetard rims??? What ever happened to the Reetard cranks? I still have a fitting kit for those bloody things in my parts bin. Good cranks but a faff to fit. Stolen along with the rest of my Le Toy…

greencat
    Free Member

I too had a £400 one back in 2004. Several of the rear wheel’s spokes snapped within a couple of weeks – my fault according to On-One customer service for not checking the tension of the spokes before every ride. A rabid pack of On-one fans on their forum agreed with them.

Once I replaced the rear wheel, it became my do everything bike up until about 2011 when the bottom bracket threads rusted out after a particularly bad winter (and the twelvety seatpost rusted in). I still have the forks in the shed as well as bits of the heavily worn but still functional Deore groupset.

It turned out to be good value in the end, but the customer service left a bad taste in my mouth.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

…and they all had the exact same headtube length regardless of frame size. Do they still do that?

Made sense really, some tall people like a low front end, other tall people can just use more spacers.

And no (I’d rather my fatty was an inch lower).

Northwind

Yup, nothing wrong with a short steerer, some people don’t like spacers/risers but it’s surely better to have the choice. Some folks needing 20mm of spacers or a high rise bar is better than some folks not being able to get the bars where they want them

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Niche too far from On One?’ is closed to new replies.