Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Nice quiet resort near Phuket recommendations
  • flashes
    Free Member

I’m hopefully visiting my brother who lives in Chiang Mai in January and thinking of flying to Phuket for a few weeks doing beggar all on a beach. I’m after somewhere really quiet, I don’t need clubs, just somewhere to stay and eat (drink). I’ve been recommended to look at Lone Island. Where else would be worth considering?
    Ta

moonsaballoon

We were in Phuket a couple of years ago with family staying in a villa near rawai beach . We really liked nai harn beach . Pretty quiet , a few restaurants and bars and a nice beach . Some of Phuket reminded me of magaluf to be honest , if your after completely deserted tropical paradise Phuket probably isn’t the best place , saying that we loved it , good food friendly people and things to see and do .

willjones
    Free Member

Had an incredible couple of weeks in Phuket, avoiding all the magaluffy bits. Based here: http://www.thesurinphuket.com couldn’t recommend it enough.

ETA: A trip out with John Gray Sea Canoe is a must.
    http://www.johngray-seacanoe.com

zippykona

Good snorkeling ?
    How high is the risk of spending a week looking down a toilet?

moonsaballoon

Lots of snorkelling and diving options .
    I only had one bout of funny tummy after going to the old town street market . The only thing I had which no one else had was some fried chicken , the prawns at the old town were the best I have ever had and the seafood overall was brilliant

tlr

One hour from Phuket is the Sarojin hotel.

A beautiful place to spend some quiet time.

legend
    Free Member

I take it you’ve been to Chiang Mai before? Otherwise you might find out you’d rather just stay up there!

leebaxter
    Free Member

I always include a trip to kaolak, which is pretty laid back in itself. But it is the best place to catch a boat out to similan, or surin islands. In jan it wont be to busy, and the water will be crystal clear. its the most beatiful place in thailand by a stretch.

sadexpunk

bro used to live out there so had 3 hols there. last one was 2011 i think and i hear its got a lot busier now.

he lived not far from the airport (thalang i think) and the nearest beaches were nai yang and nai thon which we preferred to the busier resorts of kata, karon, patong etc. nai yang was beautiful and unspoiled back then, cant vouch for it now.

as willjones mentions too ^^^ surins a good shout too. not sure on your budget but if youre loaded there was a lovely resort near there called laguna i think too.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Nai thon was lovely… about 5 years back. havent been back since.

flashes
    Free Member

Thanks guys, legend, I haven’t but am thinking 2 weeks in Chiangmai with my brother in his tiny apartment may be enough. Hoping to do some cycling there….then fly to Phuket and crash in a hut on a beach for a few weeks, basic, clean and with good sea food…

qwerty
    Free Member

Have a look at Tioman Island, Malaysia. Stunning.

nickjb
    Free Member

Hoping to do some cycling there.

Do that. You can get a taxi up the hill then bomb down through the jungle. We went guided with X biking who were a little disorganised to start with but showed us some excellent riding on decent hire bikes.

How quiet do you want it? Even the popular resorts have quiet bits and if its too quiet you might find your options for eating and activities a bit limited. Had some nice relaxing time at railay beach and even phi phi was pretty chilled away from the main drag. All cheap. If you have a bit more budget then one of the resort hotels may suit.

edward2000
    Free Member

I spent about 3 weeks on Phuket at the start of this year travelling the island by motorbike trying to find the ultimate hammock hanging spot. Live was tough then.

The best beach resorts are without doubt near the airport. I didn’t go north of the airport though. Phuket town and Patong I’d avoid if you want some quiet time; I spent New Years on a beach in Patong with a pal and it was fun though. There is not a huge amount to see in the centre of the island, a massive Buddha and a lame waterfall from recollection.

I didn’t think Phuket was that great though when compared other places I Vsited in Thailand whilst being a bum for a bit. There’s an island called Ko Chang near Cambodia, now that was lush.

flashes
    Free Member

Looking at the possibility of flying in to Phuket and ferry / motorboat to a nice island…..

craig24
    Free Member

We flew from Chiang Mai to Krabi, then a ferry over to Koh Lanta. Amazing island, very chilled out vibe. Maybe worth taking a look.

enfht
    Free Member

We enjoyed staying at Thavorn Village Beach and Spa in Phuket. Would recommend.

flashes
    Free Member

Had’t considered Krabi, good call. I’ll investigate………..

flashes
    Free Member

Koh Lanta doesn’t look too shoddy…..:)

sobriety
    Free Member

Another vote for x-biking for the riding in Chiang Mai,

jambalaya
    Free Member

Based on what you’ve posted an Island is rhe obvious choice, smaller the better if you want to do very little.

Krabi & AoNang (the actual resort) is all a bit basic and frankly grubby but some lovely 5-star hotels on nearby islands some with epic climbing (Railay beach)

As an alternative if you’ve done 2 weeks Chang-Mai and beeches why not fly to Siem Reap and do Ankor Wat ? IMO it’s crazy not to see it, get a tuk-tuk guide or an a/c car for a bit more luxury (still cheap). Lots of hotel options my recommendation would be one with a decent pool for R&R after the temples

3phase
    Free Member

I lived in Chaing Mai for 3 months such a great city lots of historic temples and culture to keep you busy + amazing food everywhere!

Siem Reap / Ankor wat is a good shout for culture no beaches tho (34p for a pint of local lager too!)

if you want a quiet island think about Koh Lanta, super quiet but amazing island with lots to offer the Morakot Cave (Emerald Cave) was a real highlight!

flashes
    Free Member

Thank you, Currently looking into Koh Lanta, obviously most places are fully booked and I’m awaiting feedback from my brother, so this could take a while…

flashes
    Free Member

So he fancies kayaking and camping on various islands in Phuket bay. I’ve never been in a kayak in my life, so what could possibly go wrong???

flashes
    Free Member

Actually, has anyone tried this???

jambalaya
    Free Member

I don’t think people bother with camping as beach buts are so cheap

Kayaking sounds hard work in the heat and not sure I’d want to be in one with all the local tourist boats screaming around. It’s great to be on the water and I’ve sailed and taken tourist trips around the Islands, bit of swimming and snorkling etc

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Surin bay is quite nice. Far enough away from Patong unless that appeals.

I had a few weeks in Thailand and ate tom yum goong soup everywhere. It’s flippin lovely. Everywhere does it slightly differently. OMG. Taste sensation!!!

alric
    Free Member

Long beach on ko lanta is the best beach, plenty of places to stay,pretty quiet(for thailand), you can swim for a mile alongside the beach, explore the island on a scooter or cycle

thehustler
    Free Member

A few years ago, we stayed here

https://www.capepanwa.com/

Fantastic hotel in a quiet location

flashes
    Free Member

Great, he’s not interested in kayaking (despite it being his idea), Long Beach sounds good, I’ll see if there’s anything left….

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Nice quiet resort near Phuket recommendations’ is closed to new replies.