Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • nice looking road bike for commuting.
  • andybrad

Ive decided that im going to commute more and would like to use this as an excuse to get a nice bike. Nothing too pricy but i would like something that looks really nice. Preferably a road bike however having never ran a road bike before nothing too racy. Commute is only 5 miles each way and one big hill (brighouse to huddersfield if you need to know)

Any suggestions. The cheaper the better.

wilburt
    Free Member

Specialized Allez

The Ford Focus of road bikes but rather good IMO.

kudos
    Free Member

Cervelo have just announced the R2 which I would imagine would come in some pretty affordable builds – there were some R3 builds that represented amazing value for such a good frameset.

The R-Series geometry is very comfortable – fairly long head tube so it can be built very “sportive”.

midlifecrashes

Hills going up you want a wide range of gears, going down you want brakes you trust. Commuting you want to stay dry and carry your gear. Therefore:

D0NK

Not sure about the triple and rack but MLC is right about guards and discs for commuting.

MoreCashThanDash

For 5 miles each way get a cheap hybrid that will take mudguards, and get a proper road bike for road riding. More practical and less nickable

andybrad

nice ideas so far folks. cheers

i like the idea of something fast and hence the reason for moving away from an old mtb. Im also thinking it might be nice for the odd weekend ride if not playing out on the mtb (for fitness)

mj27
    Free Member

I presume by the big hill you mean Ainley Top?

If so go a different way as the hill is horrible and the traffic is dangerous.

Rastapopolous
    Free Member

I’ve just built up a Dolan Prefissio for not much money as a winter/commuting bike. Not too heavy, quite racy geometry and will take a rack and mudguards if necessary. 3 different colour schemes too.

billytinkle
    Free Member

If it’s flatish I think a pashley speed 5 would make every commute an occasion.

TiRed

CAAD8 105 is quite a looker. Wheels are not the best, but it looks a lot more expensive than it is. It is also an excellent bike that is beginner friendly, raceable and can take mudguards and a rack.

andybrad

now were talking

lemonysam
    Free Member

Do you want a really practical commuter or do you want an excuse to buy a nice road bike? The two things aren’t really the same.

woody2000

I presume by the big hill you mean Ainley Top

I would hope not, up to Bradley roundabout and down the other side surely 🙂

I’d get a cross bike, you could have quite a nice little off road commute instead. Up rastrick woods, over the wilderness, up to the bypass then down Grimescar valley, pop back out Halifax old rd somewhere then roll into Hudds from there.

tonyd

Do you want a really practical commuter or do you want an excuse to buy a nice road bike? The two things aren’t really the same.

This. For a 5 mile commute just use an old MTB. My commute was 5 miles a few years ago and it was dull as you like, a nice road bike took about 15 minutes so hardly worth getting changed. An old MTB was harder work and therefore more challenging, especially with loaded up panniers, it also opened up a few off road routes.

nick1962
    Free Member

^
    For a 5 mile commute I’d use whatever I already had with mudguards,flat pedals and ride in my work clothes.
    Buy a road bike for road riding by all means,no compromises needed for the commuting front then.

plyphon
    Free Member

Cotic Roadrat

monkeyboyjc

Personally I’d go for something from the Saracen Hack range, starts at about £600 I iirc.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Rastapopolous – Member

I’ve just built up a Dolan Prefissio for not much money as a winter/commuting bike. Not too heavy, quite racy geometry and will take a rack and mudguards if necessary. 3 different colour schemes too.

So have I – [url=https://flic.kr/p/o7gueu]Dolan Preffisio – the finished bike.[/url] by theflatboy, on Flickr

I love it, have commuted on it three times this week though that’s not what it’s for, but Id happily have it as everyday commuter. Excellent bike.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘nice looking road bike for commuting.’ is closed to new replies.