Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Nice Cheap Sat nav
  • samuri
    Free Member

Do they exist?

Our Garmin has finally died (the charging socket has gone well loose, it’s a pain now), I’v e been looking at others but just wondered if anyone has found a nice cheap sat nav that does the job just as well?

Like Binatone’s etc. Anyone used these?

For reference, our Garmin, didn’t have Wales in the maps. What the hell is that about?

TheBrick
    Free Member
    jota180
    Free Member

I’ve tried the binatone and the mio, not impressed TBH
    Very clunky in operation and the lack of an anti-glare screen

Phone apps are getting better but IME the phones run very hot on long journeys and again, the screens aren’t good in some light conditions.
    I’d stick with one of the two big players

This looks OK
    http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/garmin-nuvi-42-uk-roi-4-3-sat-nav

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Check your local halfords they have a clearance event going on and you can haggle them on price

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah Halfords, I bought a cheap Garmin in a sale after Xmas for the Van for £59.99 bargain.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

How about a navman with some out of date maps you can update yourself? £20+ postage (or not if you’re in the Glasgow/Edinburgh/Dundee triangle)

samuri
    Free Member

Ta, I’ll nip to Halfords I get one there. Cheers guys.

matt_outandabout

Pay for some phone data and use Google maps. It is really, really good.

samuri
    Free Member

OK, so I bought what is pretty much the same Garmin my wife already had, a Garmin Nuvi 42. Then I decided I wanted one of my own instead of borrowing hers so I bought one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noza-Tec-Navigation-System-Navigator/dp/B00LXTL8FI although it only cost me £25 at the time.

I was a bit sceptical after reading the reviews but was prepared to take a chance at that price. I read the instructions carefully because some reviewers had complained about them not working properly. Got the maps online (they’re free for life), installed them (dead easy), fired it up.

It’s actually just a small android tablet so it’ll play music and bluetooth your phone in and all sorts of stuff but all I’m bothered about is the mapping.

It’s BRILLIANT! It’s by far the best satnav I’ve ever used. Way, way better than my wife’s Garmin. The on screen directions are excellent, telling you clearly which lane to be in, what the signs look like, it’ll even show you landmarks to help you navigate. The default voice is crisp English accent, he tells you about junctions that are approaching and warns you well in advance what the junction will be like and the touch screen is just right. Comes with a little bag for the device. It didn’t get lost once over two days roaming around Cumbria and always gave us the fastest route (you can select other types of routes – scenic, cheapest, etc) – Just to wave my man card here, I know Cumbria pretty well, we just kept it on as an experiment. 😉 . You can download maps for just about anywhere one the planet for free as far as I can tell.

If I had any criticism, it would be the screen is a little hard to see when the sunlight hits it at certain angles but it’s still visible and I’ve not played with the brightness or anything yet.

Highly recommended.

samuri
    Free Member

Oh, and guess who is now using the Garmin and who is using the Noza Tec. 🙁

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Nice Cheap Sat nav’ is closed to new replies.