Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • nice british seaside town?
  • ton

taking all the offspring for a weeks holiday in august. fancy a nice british seaside holiday.

i like dartmouth.
    anywhere else worth a look at.

wombat

I like Bridlington and Whitby and Brighton the venue is dictated by what my intentions are for the weekend…..

the-muffin-man

Tenby

robdob
    Free Member

I like Filey as its understated and calmer than its neighbours. Maybe look at the seaside places on the Welsh west coast, go for somewhere like Harlech and you’ve got loads of biking too! Or the Llyn Peninsula in Wales too, gorgeous beaches and no one there!

robdob
    Free Member

I did like Tenby but it’s a long long drive from Leeds. Awesome beaches in that area.

Muke
    Free Member

Swanage, home of Charlie the Bikemonger and the legendary Square and Compass pub.

mudshark
    Free Member

I was thinking of somewhere near Aberystwyth, how’s that for beaches, countryside, cycling local attractions?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Swanage, home of Charlie the Bikemonger and the legendary Square and Compass pub.

Indeed…well, Isle of Purbeck anyway. Enid Blyton country, castles, cottages, caves, fossils and cream teas!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Southwold. It’s even got it’s own brewery

SaxonRider

Tenby is utterly gorgeous, and well worth the journey. If you’re willing to look North, though, Seahouses in Northumbria is also lovely.

dannyh
    Free Member

Fowey is really nice.

dannyh
    Free Member

Seahouses in Northumbria is also lovely.

As is Alnmouth.

camo16
    Free Member

+1 for Swanage

For a smaller destination (lots of extras within short driving distance), I give you… Beaumaris.

You get this view from the front:

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Cromer

Rockape63
    Free Member

I was thinking of somewhere near Aberystwyth

THAT’S IN WALES!!! 😯

joking…I love the Isle of Purbeck, but not in August.

camo16
    Free Member

I was thinking of somewhere near Aberystwyth

Ah, my old hometown. 😀

They got an escalator there a few years ago. Caused quite a stir!

Great coast and countryside there and Aber is nowhere near as sleepy as it used to be. Personally, I’d still go further north, to the Llyn or Angelsey tho.

* flips bird at Rockape63 *

woody2000

Saltburn, just don’t look North

binners

The whole area round Tenby and Haverfordwest is gorgeous and unspoilt, with beautiful beaches. Look up Druidston Haven…..

Great surf as well, if you fancy a bit of that, big fella 😀

I like Llandudno too, as its a lovely place, and you’ve got some great riding in the vicinity too. Just don’t, under any circumstances, venture down the coast to the East, to Toxteth-on-Sea 😯

camo16
    Free Member

Just don’t, under any circumstances, venture down the coast to the East, to Toxteth-on-Sea

Rhyl or Colwyn Bay?

* shudders *

Llandudno is, to my mind, just a little bit dull. Plus you have to be over 55 to visit there and that’s a fact.

ElShalimo

Aberdyfi – glorious little town and lots of riding nearby in and around Machynlleth

cinnamon_girl

Largs?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Tenby is lovely as said, but can getted rammed to the gunnels in August. Then again so are all seaside towns I spose.

I love Bude/Stratton, me.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Ah, my old hometown.

You gotta love Google street view…I click on Aberystwyth, drop onto the beach road and do a quick tour. Looks very nice! 8)

Drac

Do you want tacky seaside town or a beauty spot?

Seahouses is tacky, Alnmouth is a beauty spot.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Favourite Purbeck Pub

Never posted a street view before…so thought I’d try.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tenby and the Pembrokshire Coast is worth the drive because so many others don’t bother.

The Gower is great too but a bit more crowded and accessing some of the beaches is a hassle due to limited parking

PS I love Dartmouth too ! Best wishes for an August holiday, glad I don’t have to do that any more.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Pembrokeshire is horrible. There really is nothing to see there. Terrible beaches. Please don’t go. 🙂

luke
    Free Member

I do like the weld arms but personally I wouldn’t lsay the best pub in the Purbeck one of the better ones certainly.

bigblackshed

DD +lots.

Pembrokeshire is ghastly. Full of beaches, scenery, clear water. Especially further west you go past Tenby. North Devon is the same.

😉

joshvegas
    Free Member

Fraserburgh….

MoreCashThanDash

Aberdyfi. Towyn (sp?) up from there.

Great beaches in north Norfolk, Hunstanton all the way along past Cromer, Plus Bewilderwood for the kids inland.

Awesome beaches in Northumberland.

pictonroad

Swanage, Southwold, or St David’s (technically a city)

All brilliant and utterly lovely.

iolo
    Free Member

Abersoch

onewheelgood

Abersoch, Robin Hood’s Bay.

paladin

Findochty

CountZero

Dartmouth is on the far side of this stretch of coastline.

On the right is Start Point lighthouse, which is open to the public during the summer, then on the left is Hallsands, Beesands, Torcross and Slapton Sands, Blackpool Sands, and the entrance to Dartmouth harbour way off in the distance. Dartmoor is off to the left, in the far distance.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Deal in Kent is pretty rad.
    Crantock near Newquay is an awesome place to camp – great walks along the coast and lovely huge beach.

scuttler

Don’t forget your stash of 2p’s from home

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

good timing with the above pic. My 2ps worth is that it’s not hard to find a nice seaside town . But a nice seaside town with good food…. Not easy I reckon . Tend to find it’s what lets British seaside towns down. Views are great , pubs are good , food is terrible. It’s getting better but still miles away from that there Europe

pete68
    Free Member

I’m off down swanage way camping next week. Fantastic area. The square and compass will definitely be getting a visit or 4.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘nice british seaside town?’ is closed to new replies.