Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Nice beach closest to Manchester?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I’m thinking somewhere like Formby – is there anything better that’s not much further away?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Wigan? Under the Pier? 😉

martinhutch

The magical delights of Rhyl are close by.

Harry_the_Spider

No.

terrahawk
    Free Member
    RoterStern
    Free Member

Southport? Or Blackpool ha ha ha ha!

the-muffin-man

Crosby if you’ve never seen the ‘Another Place’ sculptures.

If you intend sitting on the beaches on that coast take a windbreak or seven!

If you don’t mind driving a bit further – Talacre beach the other side of the Wirral is interesting for kids. Lots of dunes and natural pools to play in – and a lighthouse!

dooosuk
    Free Member

Formby
    St Annes/Lytham
    or New Brighton

All about an hour away from Manc.

strawman
    Free Member

Formby gets my vote, although I’ve not been to Talacre and my pal says it’s lovely. If you have kids Formby has lots to offer.

binners

They’ve just done all the front at Cleveleys and its now very nice indeed. Its now a nice walk up to Fleetwood. You’d never know you were so close the vision of hell that is Blackpool.

We did it a couple of weeks ago, and this place is a lovely place for lunch. The food’s top notch!

IHN

West Kirby has a decent beach, if I remember rightly.

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t swim off Blackpool, you might bump into a “Mersey trout”.

ivorlott
    Free Member

Broadbottom beach… 😉

MadBillMcMad

As Terrahawk says – Gaddings Dam

Nice swimming
    Little beach for the kiddies.
    Awesoime biking & walking.

& a pub at the bottom of the hill.

ourmaninthenorth

My preference is Ainsdale (between Formby and Southport), though it’s all the same stretch of coastline.

I once asked this question on here when I lived in Manchester – now I live nearer to the Sefton Coast, I realise how landlocked I felt in Manchester (even though it’s under an hour to the sea).

One of my favourite activities is to head over to Ainsdale beach in the evening – in the summer you can park on the beach (for free in the evening). We get takeaway pizza and lark around while the sun goes down.

loddrik
    Free Member

Ainsdale. Moels.

binners

ourmaninthenorth – back in the day there used to be illegal all-night raves in the dunes at Ainsdale 😀

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all

I live near Broadbottom so that “beach” is quite familiar 😀

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

+1 Formby.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Get on an aeroplane?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

With a dog?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Lytham, it’s surprisingly less brown than Blackpool. The beach is very nice. Go about 1500 when the tides in, otherwise it’s a good half hour walk out to the sea.

Half moon bay at Heysham and Morcambe beach are pleasant.

convert

Wigan? Under the Pier?

This deserved more credit.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

bwfc4eva868 – Member

Lytham, it’s surprisingly less brown than Blackpool. The beach is very nice. Go about 1500 when the tides in, otherwise it’s a good half hour walk out to the sea.

Half moon bay at Heysham and Morcambe beach are pleasant.
    You know the tide cycle changes on a daily basis?

convert

Go about 1500 when the tides in

I hadn’t noticed that – very good 😀

Is this the genuine level of understanding of the sea by urban/inland types?

Rio

West Kirby has a decent beach

Most of the “sea front” is occupied by the marine lake.

Moels

You mean Meols? Mostly sea wall, no beach when the tide’s in, mud when it’s out. If you’re measuring it by quantity Hoylake has an awful lot of beach when the tide’s out.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

With a dog?

You never mentioned dogs in the original post 😈

matt_outandabout

For what purpose? Kids and sandcastles, paddling, dog walking?

Hoylake would work as a ‘it’s a beach’ more than West Kirby, i used to enjoy visiting dad when he lived at the old lighthouse…

lowey

back in the day there used to be illegal all-night raves in the dunes at Ainsdale

Spent many a Sunday morning in attendance after various parties. Happy times.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If you have kids Formby has lots to offer.

Such as passive ganj smoking, lots of clashing loud music, foul mouthed scouse scallies yelling at each other and the daily festival of litter.

A lovely place utterly ruined by the scumbags who go and throw crap all over it.

eruptron
    Free Member

Congleton

uponthedowns
    Free Member

For dog friendly then Talacre. We go there quite often with our pooch. Great beach but its got that end of the world vibe that all low budget British seaside towns seem to have- but in this case its more of a trailer park than a town.

el_boufador

It’s not the Yorkshire coast, is it?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Nice beach closest to Manchester?’ is closed to new replies.