• This topic has 30 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by alanl.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Nice area's for small weekend tours?
  • ton

got a plan to do a small tour in a new area each month this year, idea is the drive somewhere early saturday morning, park up and ride to a yha or bed and breakfast, then ride back to the car on sunday.

ridden the mountain bike in most places in the u.k over the years, but not ridden much road.
    idea’s please.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

*Bookmarks thread*

roach

The Gower
    The Brecon Beacons

??

scotroutes

Galloway. Very much under-rated as a destination. Lots of wee roads and a selection of nice beaches too.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The Cotswolds loads of lanes there.
    Wilts too.Wilts is great on X-cross bike loads of By-ways as well.

boxelder

YHA at Whitby is great. Cinder track from Scarboro’s pleasant – lots of road options.
    Back road from Newcastleton to Hawick (B6399) is pretty awesome (in good weather…..). Great B&B in Newcastleton too - here

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The whole of Galloway and the stewartry has fantastic, quiet, scenic roads, but doesn’t have a hell of a lot in the way of youth hostels. Borders is a good shout too.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Elan Valley.

downshep

Mull, Glen Lyon / South Loch Tay, Galloway, Kintyre, Arran.

Philby

Wye Valley and Forest of Dean.

Trekster

Plenty of pods or wigwams in the D&G area,more than listed here.
    North east Eng and into South East Scotland up to Berwick/Edin then train home?

matt_outandabout

Argyll with use of train and ferries?

Suggsey
    Free Member

The Beaches of Norfolk…..beautiful area very underrated through lack of hills.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Mid Wales/Cambrian Mountains via these hostels:

http://www.elenydd-hostels.co.uk/

ton

Nipper, thanks for the link to the hostels. i am gonna book into them both for a long weekend pootle.
    did a polaris in that area years ago, would be nice to go back.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Test Valley.

Glorious river, glorious hills and valleys. Warm, fecund fields full of loveliness. Oh, and some great quiet roads, some superb pubs and brilliant food.

TheBrick
    Free Member

With the correct route choice loaded on to a GPS so you don’t waste time navigating anywhere is good for a w/e IMO.

nbt

Glyn Ceiriog, Corwen and Chirk – fantastic scenery
    Forest of Bowland
    Obvious spots like north York moors, Yorkshire dales – maybe do the TDF routes over two days

MaryHinge
    Free Member

You are welcome to pop down my way Ton.y

Recently moved near to Llandrindod Wells, so options on Elan Valley, 30 miles to Brecon etc.

Either crash here on your tour or leave your car on my drive.

And there is the cycle museum in ‘dod 🙂

rob2
    Free Member

Minehead (seriously)

Exmoor on your doorstep for loads of country roads
    Dartmoor roads not far away
    Or my favourite Somerset east of taunton which although flat is like going back 50years in time

Although minehead is a bit of an acquired taste there are nice bits nearby. Also you can bumble over to woolacombe for a great beach

Pretty fast to get to as just motorway to taunton

samcheese
    Free Member

My idea’s would be to log on to a road riding forum to get some nice idea’s.

Thi’s i’s a forum for mountain bike’s.

swanny853

Have you thought about getting outside the UK? The OH, some friends and I did a very nice lazy riding/touring weekend in Normandy in september- certainly not a destination for mountain biking but as someting a bit different half way through the year overloading on pastries and calvados may do you some good! We got an overnight ferry there and came back Sunday afternoon- let me know if you want a bit more info.

tang
    Free Member

Some great suggestions above. What a great idea, so much to enjoy on our shores.

belugabob
    Free Member

My idea’s would be to log on to a road riding forum to get some nice idea’s.
    Thi’s i’s a forum for mountain bike’s.

I’d go elsewhere with questions about punctuation, too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The Test Valley.

Glorious river, glorious hills and valleys. Warm, fecund fields full of loveliness. Oh, and some great quiet roads, some superb pubs and brilliant food.

This is a very good option, come further south into my neck of the South Downs and you can bounce up/over the Downs and maybe head over to the New Forest on the Sunday..

nbt

That’s a good call: over night ferry from hull to Zeebrugge and do a day down to Ghent and back, maybe?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pembrokeshire mini coast road trip.
    Lots of nice beaches and castles..

Saccades
    Free Member

Go somewhere new a make a decent weekend of it – Pop over to Dublin and do the ticknock trails, then down to ballinstoe and do those trails and then pop to Djouce and have a blast….

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Watchin this thread with interest as looking for weekends away myself 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

A mate and I are pondering a tour of Norfolk and Suffolk, combining breweries and sea food. It’s not flat, but easy cycling, easy on the eye, bugger to get to from practically anywhere though…..

alanl
    Free Member

Rutland and East Leics. Empty roads, hills if you want them, loads of nice places to stay in Oakham, Stamford or Uppingham.

Dorset. North/West of the County for hills, South coast for some flattish riding (though Dorset has hills everywhere, it just depends on their steepness/frequency per mile)

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Nice area's for small weekend tours?’ is closed to new replies.